Ruins with kids

zetachi

Was not sure where to post this so I'll try it here and see what happens :)

We are doing the RCL Indy of the Seas 6 days West Car. in Feb 09. Stops will be Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya.

I was hoping to maybe do some ruins on one of the stops. Anyone have any info on the closet ones to the port. I have 2 kids DS almost 7 and DD how will be just 3 at the time. I'd rather not subject them and us to a long bus ride but if there was somewhere relatively close we might consider it.

Thanks

Was not sure where to post this so I'll try it here and see what happens :)

We are doing the RCL Indy of the Seas 6 days West Car. in Feb 09. Stops will be Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya.

I was hoping to maybe do some ruins on one of the stops. Anyone have any info on the closet ones to the port. I have 2 kids DS almost 7 and DD how will be just 3 at the time. I'd rather not subject them and us to a long bus ride but if there was somewhere relatively close we might consider it.

Thanks

Not sure about Costa Maya but in Cozumel there are ruins on the mainland which requires a ferry ride over which is about 45 minutes each way. I went to Tulum which is then another hour bus ride each way from Playa Del Carmen. It is a long day for an adult more less children but it is very beautiful there. You can go to Chichen Itza but that is around 2 1/2 hours each way. A lady and her 9 mo old did that on our last cruise.:eek: I think your ds 7 would be okay but not the 3 yr. old. But you know your kids and I don't so it is up to you. Also, maybe someone can tell you if there are ruins on the island of Cozumel. I don' t think there are but not 100% sure.

We've been to two ruins in Belize. Altun Ha is about a 45 minute ride from the port. The ruins are pretty decent. Mid size ruins.

The other ruins we went to another time in Belize is Lamanai. We had to get there by boat so the trip was a little longer but more varied trip. It is in the middle of a rain forest so you can see monkeys in the trees. Pretty interesting ruins too.

I think either way you'll be fine. See the Belize forums for more details on places to book the excursions with. The Altun Ha might be better since your youngest is only 3 and it is an easier trip to the ruins.

David

we chose altun ha in belize. the main reason was that they weren't too far away and they have handrails to climb with.

we were there in april and it was BLAZING hot. the guide had us standing in direct sun while she talked and talked and talked.

we were finally able to climb the ruin and she gave us 15 minutes to do that and get back to the bus. the climb up was fine, but going down the handrail didn't reach the top and a few people (myself included) had a hard time with that. we didn't get any time to check out the souvie vendors.

another problem we had was the our bus got a 'flat tire' on the way there. i put it in quotes because i'm postive there was nothing wrong with that bus. we were first in a brand new, well air conditioned bus and magically there happened to be another bus on the side of the road right where our tire got flat. the second bus was older, hotter than hades and needed new shocks!

one little girl got sick from the heat and vomited, which stunk like you wouldn't believe. poor thing was so miserable and the hot bus wasn't helping at all.

anyway, i'm glad we went, but it's not something i'd do again.

We went to Chacchoben with David & Ivan when we were in Costa Maya. It's about a 45-minute ride to and from the ruins. I was worried about how our kids would do with the ride (they became carsick in Jamaica on an excursion), but they did fine. The roads were very good - mind you, this was before Hurricane Dean went through. The ruins themselves are pretty easy to navigate with kids, although the site's not particularly stroller-friendly. I have photos posted at http://travel.webshots.com/album/558933896aVbpxD?start=24 (photo#40 shows my kids at one of the pyramids).

Archived