"Tastings" - more info please!

travelingla

First - I apologize if this is a repeater - I tried to post and got an error message -- did not see it posted so thought I'd try again.

I am planning on cruising the Spirit from New Orleans and am new to NCL. I read elsewhere about alcohol tastings on this ship. Various types - tequilla and margaritas were mentioned.

Is this offered in the lounge areas as a 'class' or activity -- not in the shops as on other lines.....

Sounds great - can anyone give us more info on this? Price? and is it offered during the day - various days?

Thank you!!

Usually on sea days these "clinics" are offered. Normally in a lounge or near a lounge. There's wine, beer, martini, margarita, etc. Your ship may only offer 2 or 3 clinics.

The cost $15 - $20 per person, and you can share if you'd like. They're gobs of fun.

They have different types, I've have seen the following but not always all of them on the particular cruise:

- Wine tasting

- Beer tasting

- Martini tasting

- Margarita and smoothie tasting

- Tequila & Tapas tasting

It's kind of a class held in a bar or restaurant and they charge 15$pp (but you can share the drinks with a friend if you want).

I have seen wine, beer, martini & tequilla tastings. They can be fun. The are usually in the afternoon; I am always bummed when they are back to back b/c I do not have the liver capacity to go from one to the other in the space of a few minutes. :eek:

The wine tasting is just like a wine tasting on land. You get an education about color, taste, pairings etc. If it's done well you may also get to experience how the tastes change over time w/ exposure to oxygen. Sometimes passangers can sit in on the lecture part w/o imbibing for free. If you want a sip, you have to pay. DH & I were going to go to the beer tasting & I was just going to sit there b/c I hate beer but we managed to miss it. I also surfed through our roll call thread trying to find him someone to go to this with b/c I really didn't want to attend.

The martinit tasting was about the different flavors. We got to "vote" on the last one we wanted our mixologist to make. I had trouble walking after that one. :rolleyes:

The prices varies from $10 -- $20 pp depending on what was served.

Were were on Spirit two weeks ago out of NOLA. There were a multitude of "tastings". All were $15/pp and most of them were during the sea days. Beer, margharita, wine, martinis, mohito's and I'm sure I'm missing a couple.

The times overlapped somewhat so you couldn't do all of them (or you wouldn't be able to stand up - LOL).

We went to the two Martini tastings (and received a certificate making us Master of Matriniology or something). 5 glasses each and I would say they were about 1/2 the size of what you would get from the bar. The bartender at Champagne Charlie's was the host and trivia master. Hint, brush up on your presidents and carry a dollar bill.

We also went to the French Wine and Cheese tasting. Again, 5 glasses of wine, about 1/3 normal size. The cheese pairings were very good. Some of the wines by themselves were not something I would have enjoyed. Drinking them with the cheese made them taste much better. This was at Le Bistro.

We did try to go the Margharita tasting. It was supposed to have been at the Beirgarten. Lot of confusion there. We went to deck 12 and they said, not its on 11. Went to 11 and they said, its on 12. Finally went back to 12 and they said yes. Finally they said they didn't have enough people. Heck with it, we had a beer and a brat and a pretzel ;).

Just a quick note...I was on the Dawn two weeks ago and they did not allow sharing. We attended a mojito and a martini tasting and both times inquired if we could just split the drinks and the answer was no both times. It wasn't a matter of cost...more the fact I'm a small girl and it is quite a lot of alcohol. Instead we both indulged and had to sleep it off that afternoon! :)

It is a big portion on the Martini tasting and they also did not let sharing. Lots of snoring before dinner ;).

I believe you folks that say you weren't allowed sharing, but how the heck do they enforce that? I mean, if my husband came in and sat down next to me, would they kick him out if he said he didn't want to participate? Would they grab the martini glass out of his hands as he prepares to take a sip? On our tastings, many people were there that weren't "participating" and I'm pretty sure the staff were not hovering to police the situation.

I believe you folks that say you weren't allowed sharing, but how the heck do they enforce that? I mean, if my husband came in and sat down next to me, would they kick him out if he said he didn't want to participate? Would they grab the martini glass out of his hands as he prepares to take a sip? On our tastings, many people were there that weren't "participating" and I'm pretty sure the staff were not hovering to police the situation.

They actually did "police" it do a certain extent. You paid and you got a sticker (like a shore ex sticker) and only those with stickers were allowed to sit at the tables where they were delivering the drinks.

Not to say you couldn't heft the drink over to a table where someone else was sitting. And probably get a rather "dry" comment from the bartender running the show (we are talking martini's after all :o).

On other cruise lines we've been on the sharing wasn't a big deal but on Spirit it seemed to be discouraged as much as sneaking booze on board ;).

Thanks for the detailed explanation, MaryBeth(?). I wonder if the Spirit & Dawn have always operated their tastings in this manner. It's not a big deal to us because we have no problems imbibing heavily in the afternoon :p but I know it's not feasible for some. Not being able to share may cause NCL to lose money, not make money, on the tastings as some would opt out all together. IMO, not a smart move if it's a new policy.

To echo the others - there are tastings in the lounges (or a pub crawl from lounge to lounge) for a fee.

Also, there was a day when the duty free shop had tastings (small samples) of a few of their items. This event was crowded but a good chance to try out a few different items before buying them!

Did do some very minimal sharing with my wife last week on the final MArtini tasting. Just a sip or two because she's not much of a drinker. We were front and center for the clinic but didn't get an odd look or anything. They did allow her to sit there but only I got a sticker and drinks. (she did arrive earlier than me to save me a seat while I was at the beer tasting :p)

Archived