Thefts from Port Complex

tarbashchaputi

I hate posting anything of this sort, but feel compelled.

We just came home from a cruise on the NCL Spirit on Sunday. Costa Maya was our first port of call, and we arrived there on the Tuesday of our cruise. While I thoroughly enjoyed the port of call, the town near it - my day was destroyed when someone decided to help themselves to my prescription glasses and sunglass clip. What angers me about this, is that I took them off for a period of 30 seconds, placed them in my son's stroller to dry off after a swim in the pool, only to notice them gone. In order to humor my wife, we, along with approximately 15 other individuals did an exhaustive search of the pool, to no avail. What really frustrates me, and upsets me, is not necessarily the theft of the glasses, but the simple fact that these glasses are absolutely USELESS to whom ever took them, as they are a strong prescription. I walked around the rest of the cruise half blind, because I was too stupid to bring a back up pair. An expensive lesson has been learned. One would think that my 37 years on this planet would have taught me this previously. :rolleyes:

While I realize that this could be perceived by some as "my fault", I am telling my tale in order to warn others to be extra cautious in this port. A few seconds is all it takes. I have traveled extensively, and have never had a problem, any where.

When I returned to the ship, and went to the reception desk to ask if any glasses had been turned in (again to humor my wife) I met up with another couple who had their digital camera (and memories) stolen, and a man who had his wallet stolen. All from the same general area. :(

Always sorry to hear about a ruined vacation.

One should always be on guard and aware. So many tourist let their guard down while traveling. Petty theft can be an issue in any group situation any place in the world. It is interesting that it allegedly happened in the cruise ship compound. The compound is a secured area, that is no one from outside (land based) can pass into the compound unless they have a valid pass.

This also applies to onboard as well ...

Not all the other cruisers may be honest - ship board crimes are not well publicized.

Can you say crime of opportunity?

Know your surroundings

Thieves frequent transportation centers, historical sites and tourist attractions.

Common ploys used by thieves to distract you include jostling in a crowd, spilling something on you or asking you to hold an infant.

Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.

Avoid carrying a purse or wallet. You will often be in crowded areas that are prime hunting grounds for pickpockets and purse-snatchers.

If you must carry a wallet, wrap it with a rubber band to make it hard to pull from your pocket, or use a chain to attach your wallet to a belt loop.

If you must carry a purse, keep it closed, place the strap over one shoulder (not around your neck), keep the purse to your front and keep your hand on it.

Do not use fanny or tummy packs. These advertise the location of your valuables.

Do not flash large amounts of money when paying a bill. If paying in cash, give the vendor an amount close to the purchase price.

Leave jewelry, passports, tickets and personal papers in a secure place, such as a hotel safe.

Having personally traveled many places on this planet, it is surprising where these things can happen. It doesn't have to be the back streets in Cario or the let say 'interesting' restaurant in Tokyo. They happen when our guard is down - even in our home towns.

Take care and be safe.

I'm really sorry about the theft of your glasses. I do believe this can and will happen anywhere including the US. On my first cruise, my son bought a nice watch on the ship with his spending money his grandparents gave him. He took it off by the pool on the ship. When he went back to find it, it was gone. A fellow cruise passenger would have had to taken it.

While on vacation in Jamaica, [not a cruise], we took an excursion to the falls. The tour guide offered to take everyones pictures. Later on I discovered that the batteries had been stolen out of my camera.

While it's possible someone local stole your glasses, my guess if you were in the port area, it was more than likely a fellow passenger took them

We were in the cruise ship compound, at the pool, near the little kiosk bar. I highly doubt that the culprit had any knowledge of what they were getting. Bottom line is that they are useless to who ever has them - that is what upsets me the most. If they were a pair of Oakley Sunglasses, I could at least rationalize it.

The bottom line is, I let my guard down for half a minute. It is my fault. Luckily, this didn't destroy our vacation in the least. I just couldn't focus very well - it provided a stronger case for alcohol consumption. :D

I find this very disturbing. I am always careful about money, passports,etc but prescription glasses? What are you supposed to do with them when you go swimming if you need them to see? They don't fit in the waterproof document holders and can't be left in a safe if you need them to see.

I was just there this past Friday but it was a coolish day so I didn't go swimming. Guess it was a good thing or I might have been 80 % blind for the rest of my cruise.

Ruth

Archived