NCL Jewel curious

ohfan

We're sailing in October on the Jewel. Any information about it would be appreciated. Cost and quality of Specialty dining rooms. Activities at sea. OV cabin size. Comparison to Carnival Destiny, Valor, Sensation, etc.? Also food quality? Evening entertainment? Thank you.

We're sailing in October on the Jewel. Any information about it would be appreciated. Cost and quality of Specialty dining rooms. Activities at sea. OV cabin size. Comparison to Carnival Destiny, Valor, Sensation, etc.? Also food quality? Evening entertainment? Thank you.

Have you read my recent member review on here? That should help a bit. I'd read the last 3-4 months of reviews for the Jewel and you should be pretty informed. :)

We did the Canada/New England cruise on Jewel on the Sep 28 sailing this year. It was a terrific cruise and a gorgeous ship. Here's my review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=857464&highlight=

We've sailed Carnival Destiny and Sensation but not Valor. Jewel is much larger than Sensation and its hard to even compare them. She is a little smaller than Destiny, but the layout is much easier to navigate and seems more spacious. The decor is bright, cheerful and, to use a very subjective word, more "classy" than any Carnival ship I have been on except maybe the Splendor. There are more lounges/bars than either of those Carnival ships. We're not big on the activities but it seemed to me that there were as many listed daily as I usually see on Carnival.

We had an AF min-suite on the Jewel. It was bigger than the regular balcony cabins we normally get on Carnival. I think NCL standard balcony cabins are a little smaller than Carnival's.

Of the two main dining rooms we preferred Tsar's Palace over Azura for the decor. Menus are the same in both. The buffet is very nice, and flows into another buffet outdoors on the lido deck aft. We tended to get breakfast in Tsar's, lunch at the buffet, and dinner at Tsar's or a specialty restaurant. We thought food quality was good to very good in all venues, with the specialy steak house excellent. Depending on the venue, the specialty restaurant surcharges were from $10 PP to $25PP.

Production shows were about on par with most Carnival stage productions except Cirque Bijou which really stands out. Also, don't miss the crew talent show.

Hope this helps.

You are welcome to check out the Jewel links below in my sig. They'll take you to photo galleries from my two cruises on the Jewel.

First was 2005 Eastern Carib - OV cabin on deck 4

Second was 2008 Western Carib - OV cabin on deck 5

Have you read my recent member review on here? That should help a bit. I'd read the last 3-4 months of reviews for the Jewel and you should be pretty informed. :)

As said above, reading reviews is a great way to begin your research on any of the ships. See the link below for more information as well.

Great ship. Lots of options to eat and things to do once you board.

You are welcome to check out the Jewel links below in my sig. They'll take you to photo galleries from my two cruises on the Jewel.

First was 2005 Eastern Carib - OV cabin on deck 4

Second was 2008 Western Carib - OV cabin on deck 5

WONDERFUL photos ! I was going to ask if you were a pro but I took a look at your profile and saw that yes, you are. I am so envious. I'm sure you have decent equipment, but to get these results also requires an artist's eye, and your's really makes so many of these photos stand out. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Archived