Going to Cabo? Read This

rudeman

Very frightening story. My wallet was lifted from my bag at the flea market in Cabo. I really have no hope of having it returned.

The Princess security officer was very helpful, but onshore it was very difficult to find help. And the "incident report" was not even numbered.

Fortunately, I didn't have my passport, but lost my DL and credit cards, which Princess allowed me to cancel from the ship. Thankfully, we were bound for LA when this happened.

I've enrolled with a security reporting agency to watch my credit.

I would sail to Mexico again, but will be much more wary of what I do there.

The real bottom line is that one needs to be wary of what they do in ANY port...There are a certain number of con men, pickpockets, crooks and criminals EVERYWHERE...And YOU are usually very visibly a TOURIST, a non-local, an EASY mark...

So, you really have to be vigilant...Stay with a group, if possible...don't leave the "beaten path"...Secure your wallet and other valuables where pickpockets won't have easy access...Keep very aware of your surroundings...Watch out for your friends, family members and fellow passengers...Don't fall for questionable offers...

On the other hand, an overwhelming majority of people in these ports, Mexico included, are good, decent, honest people who treat you very well as a guest in their country...Shop owners who only want to have you as a customer, sell you merchandise and protect their own good name...

I've been to Mexico a good many times and have never had a problem...and am not afraid, by any means to go again...

Remember, each week, several ships anchor at Cabo and drop of thousands of passengers each...at the same time, there are dozens of nice hotels and resorts catering to tourists, eac filled with hundreds of tourists...Most have an outstanding experience, a pleasant vacation...no problems at all...

Remember, people are also victims of crime here at home as well...

Wow! We just returned from 2 weeks in Cabo and luckliy did not experience anything like that. We had free shots in many shops as we wandered through town. Just curious what alley she could have been found in as the No Worries bar is the lighthouse bar in front of the Tesoro resort which sits right on the marina. There are no allies anywhere around there?

This does show to be very careful wherever you travel and even at home as these things happen here in the US too.

wow- at least everyone is physically ok after that nightmare

this is why when in any port i wont take my eyes off my wife and kids(even big kids,nearly adult) it just isnt worth it because the bad people are in every country (including the u.s.):(

dave

• 3 weeks later...

I do agree that you need to be careful anywhere you go, but especially in Cabo. I think people let their guard down there a bit because it feels so Americanized. In Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan you feel like you are in Mexico and so maybe are more careful. I have never ever had a problem anywhere in Mexico except Cabo, and what I encountered there was not that bad.

The vendors in Cabo seem to be way pushier and in your face than in other places. I really do not mind people selling stuff and trying to make a buck, but they are really obnoxiuos and I have come across more dishonest people in Cabo. I also believe I was drugged at a bar/restaurant on the beach. I did not get robbed or anything, but I think they try to get people really wasted so they can overcharge you and you can't do anything about it. I was sick for 2 days after leaving Cabo after having 2 margaritas and a beer, I could barely walk or stay awake. The day before I had several margaritas in Puerto Vallarta and was fine, so I am not feeling I should have been wasted off of a couple drinks. Thank god my husband was with me and got me onto a water taxi and back to the ship.

I will go back to the Mexican Riveria and probably get off the ship in Cabo, but be more careful and in no way would I ever take my kids with me. I just don't feel it is as safe as the rest of Mexico.

I sure agree about the vendors in Cabo, last time there they were every 15 feet along the boardwalk yapping at us, all with the same stuff, we couldn't even hold a conversation.

Last week our paper reported 2 Canadians from Vancouver were shot and wounded in a Cabo bar, and a security guy was wounded too. The gunmen got away. Eyes open.

-Bob

Archived