Galveston cruises

tkportersat

I live in Houston also and have no desire to go to the same "generic" ports that the Conquest has stop at for the last 4years. As for the RC, It is cheaper for me to fly a family of 4 to Florida and cruise out of there than to go on Voyager. It's a hassle but we at least get to go to St.Maartin, & St.Thomas, Turk.

I would love to see a "Spirit" ship in Galveston and call on Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, Ocho Rios, Dominican, ect. But thats me.

Recently booked again out of Galveston on the Conquest. We are doing the exact same internary. Personally I am good to go wherever the ship takes me but why wife mentioned that we need more options out of Galveston. We have to have a balcony and we will only leave out of Galveston as it is a short drive from San Antonio. I think we might be spoiled a little, you know how the military pay for enlisted is so high:eek:. But like was said, I am happy to be able to cruise regardless of where it goes.

I too agree with you!!! Since we have 2 cruise terminals in Texas, I wish we had WAY more cruising options. I love Carnival, Cozumel and Caymans, but I would love to go somewhere new from Texas. Our next one may be out of L.A. just for a change of scenery. DH just loves being on the ship but I'm so ready for a change when it comes to cruising.(out of Texas)

I would love to see Carnival hit some southern caribbean ports leaving out of galveston. Part of being able to cruise for me is the closness of the port. If I want I can drive down the day of and not pay hotel or airfare. That makes a huge difference. I will be taking the eastern Itinerary next Oct. But after that it will probably be a while before I cruise again. If I am going to pay for airfare, I might as well go to a land based destination. I love cruising and being on a ship. But part of the cruising experience I like the most is being able to see different places in one trip.

Yeah if I was going to pay for hotel/airfare then I would pick a port in Florida or Cali. But being able to get a balcony on the Conquest for a great price I don't mind returning to JAM/GC/COZ for the second time. It is not like we saw all of it. I would think there would be more options out of Texas catering to central U.S. residents. Who knows. Don't get me wrong we are not complaining and just happy to be able to cruise to begin with.

Yep, ANY change would be good :) I have been on the Ecstasy 4 times, I have always enjoyed it. I like cruising out of Galveston for the affordability.....if I am going to fly I will have to wait a couple years when the kids leave home. Then I might try Alaska ;)

Kerry, I totally agree with you - it would be great to have more options. We are lucky we can drive to port, but I do miss the Grand Princess and Splendour, even though we had basically the same itineraries, the ships were different and that made it more exciting. I forgot, I also miss Rhapsody. In 2010 we are venturing out of Texas and flying to Florida to go on the Dream, so having that future trip planned is exciting for me. In the meantime, I just booked Ecstasy (again) for a cruise in February - and I am starting to get excited just thinking about getting away! I have to say, I got a great price on Ecstasy and we are getting a balcony - so, life is good! Let's just pray that Carnival doesn't bail on us. I think the economy in the Asian markets is way better than our's - and many of our ships are heading over there to make more $$$. That was the story we got when Splendour and Rhapsody left.

You and I always spend a lot, right Sharon? :D

I agree w/ you about the Voyager. I was so excited to go on it because of all the options for the kids and than so many of the activities had a very limited time they were open. I thought the food was fine, but I have always enjoyed Carnival's food better - that is just me.

I am so jealous you are leaving for your cruise this w/e!! Have a great time and Happy Holidays!! :cool:

Hey I totally agree that the Cruise lines need to change ports around! IT does get quite boring......and new ships would be a great change as well!

I am surprised more cruise lines dont come to Texas, there has to be some reason?

I cant beleive the spending is less than any other ship....people still drink/shop and gamble....

I did NOT enjoy the VOS I found the food to be below average and the activites they supposedly offered, like ice skating, were NEVER OPEN! IT was a HUGE dissapointment and for the price difference it just is not worth it.

I DID however, LOVE The Rhapsody!!!

I cant wait for the day for any other cruiseline to show up in TEXAS!!;)

I would definitely love for them to go to Costa Maya more, no one is doing Belize out of Galveston anymore......I have never been there.

I haven't been on the Conquest since May 2006, so I think that will be fun to re-explore. My son was a pill the last time we went as his wonderful friend told him we were all going to die on 6/6/06. He made himself sick over it (he was 14 at the time) and stayed in the room most of the trip. I told him if we were all going to die he should be living it up! ha. :eek:

I'm from Texas as well...and would LOVE TO SEE MORE OPTIONS!!!! And I am hoping that some more will come around....we too have done the Jamaica, GC, Cozumel route...over and over. And...done the Conquest twice!

I think you have to keep in mind a little bit though...the geographic location. Its awfully hard to get the Conquest to the Eastern Caribbean and back in a week. But nonetheless...I do agree...how about Costa Maya...or ANYTHING different!!!

I'm sure in the end...its a money thing. It ALWAYS IS!!! Everything is. For the cruiselines...it comes down to the bottom line...and for the pax...it also...comes down to the bottom line!

I paid more to go on the Rhapsody mainly so that I could do something different, never found great deals either. Carnival always seems to come out less when I am looking at prices.

I hope you have a good time on the Ecstasy :)

I'm with you on the options. I could never find the deals on the Rhapsody everyone else found, so I never sailed her. Our May '04 cruise was almost on the Rhapsody, but we got a 6D cheaper than an OV on the lowest deck on Rhapsody, so we stuck with Carnival again (that and we were going for our anniversary and it was the ship we did our honeymoon on).

I would love to do the Voyager, but the prices I've seen have been outrageous.

I found a crazy deal for my first Princess cruise, and loved it so much I did it again - it was different without having to fly. Lately, as you can probably see, we're not sailing out of TX nearly as much as we used to - the ships and ports just aren't changing. I'll do the same ports on a different ship, or vice versa - but 2,3 times and I'm ready for something different. The only reason I have the Ecstasy booked is it's my brother's wedding. Otherwise, Oct 07 to April 10 are all sailing out of TX to different ports on different ships.

I've been on the Conquest a lot. I look at it the same as playing your home golf course every week. Even though it's the same old course, your round is still different every time out. Sometimes it's great and sometimes not so great. But it's still better than being at work. Since we've gotten tired of the same shows each time, we've started using the adult hot tubs in the evenings. Now that definitely is different all the time.

---Bruce

I agree, it is definitely better than being at work. Just simply stating I would like some new choices is all. I haven't been on the Conquest in a couple of years, so I am hoping it will seem new to me again. I am looking forward to my trip either way. :)

I've been on the Conquest a lot. I look at it the same as playing your home golf course every week. Even though it's the same old course, your round is still different every time out. Sometimes it's great and sometimes not so great. But it's still better than being at work. Since we've gotten tired of the same shows each time, we've started using the adult hot tubs in the evenings. Now that definitely is different all the time.

---Bruce

Archived