Just back POA....any questions?

mrbucky

Maui...rented from Thrity. Quick pick-up with shuttle. Parked at pier. About 40 spots in parking lot. More across the street along sea wall. Used car all day both days.

Hilo....Alamo.....they had a special going on. Used all day for VNP.

Kona...Thrifty...location, ease of pick-up. Walk to car from pier.

Kauai.....Alamo.....once again special price. Used for Waimea canyon. Got done early, so decided to go to Princeville. Only used one day.

Oahu.......Alamo...because we were staying at HHV. Their Waikiki location is across the street. Also because of their special and use of a coupon. Used a lot first two days. Second two days, just to get gals closer to their shopping locations.

Hi! (Trip dates 1-21-09 to 2-9-09) We are flying NWA from LAX to Honolulu . . . what was your experience? Was it on time? We preordered food. Did you and if so, was it good? What type of entertainment did they offer . . . movies? Pay TV? How often did they come around and offer beverages? Enough to keep well hydrated on the plane? Did you buy any of their snacks? We had some on Frontier that were excellent. Did you take the red eye back? How did you sleep? I basically sleep anywhere but I was wondering for my husband. Did you fly coach? How were the seats? Was the three across a real pain and too crowded? Or OK? Let's see . . . next question! We are staying at the HHV before the cruise in Diamondhead Tower with a gardenview. How was your experience there? Did you see the Friday night show at the pool and the fireworks? Was it worth taking the time to see? We are prechecking in . . . did you do that on the internet and if so, how did it work for you? Did you eat at any of the hotel restaurants? We want to do breakfast on property both mornings. Um . . . question #3 . . . You said you boarded early. Our shuttle picks us up at noon from the hotel. How early did you board and how did it go? One more question . . . We will have a set table reservation for the Liberty every night at 6PM for 6. Did you do anything like that? Did you eat in the Liberty? We like a slow nonrushed dinner pace. How was the food in general? Any stand outs? Oops! Guess that's another question. Let's see! What else? I guess I just want details, details, details please! Thanks for any info you can provide! Bigred

We traveled MSP to Portland to HNL on way out. Break at Portland for an hour gave time to walk around. Coach. They offered first class at gate for $250 more. Depends on type of aircraft. You can check that out. Types of seats and movies. We took snacks in carry on. First class coming home. A330. nicer aircraft.

HHV...saw fire dance. Sat in bar and watched from behind. Good time. Made it more interesting as saw make-up preparation and how tired they were between dances.

Stayed Kahlia tower pre-cruise. Rainbow...post.

Ate breakfast across street at restaurant. Also down the beach at Reef...Shorebird. Did not eat at any HHV properties.

We took cab to pier at 11:15 am. Arrived pier 11:30. Handed off luggage. got in line. Checked in. Received boarding passes room keys. Got in line again at 11:45. 12:00 they started boarding. Was on board 12:07 pm. Drink in hand 12:08 pm.

No reservations for us. Table for four, willing to share. Ate first night at Skyline. Worst service ever experinced at any restaurant ever. Told wife we should go back and get in line again and try for different area. Less than half full capacity and some of waiters stood around talking and ignoring everyone. A few knew how to work. I don't want to get started, because have an hour of story. Finally after two hours, wife left. I stayed just to see if would ever get a dessert. Our two waiters were having a feud and neither would take our order or get our food. One was preparing for the next day folding napkins at the table next to us. She couldn't be bothered with us. Our head waiter finally came to our table to see if we would like dessert after our two hours.

Next time tried Liberty. Fine.

Went to Skyline next two times as Liberty was closed. No problem. Excellent service. Different area.

Food quality was better in buffet. Meats were overcooked. Tough. Medium means dry and done. Pork was a good cut of meat, but was cooked beyond ability to chew.

Health problem our second day as buffet was roped off and we were served by staff as what we would like. NO touching anything except your own plate. Big slow down. Stayed this way the rest of the week.

Rented car and took off for park first thing in the morning. Got to VNP and stopped at steam vents, visitor center, watched the movie. Went to the hotel and looked out their back door. Continued up to museum and the road was closed due to high sulphur. They meant it as I got dizzy and returned to the car. Took some pictures first, but quite cloudy. Tuned around and went to Thurston tubes. Drove towards end of rode. When we saw it from a few thousand feet above, turned around and went back to museum. Road was still closed from there on, but clouds had lifted and got better pictures. Plus, I could breathe.

Mid afternoon now, stopped at macadamia nut factory. Then stopped at Walmart. Back to ship well before dark.

Talked to others on board about using coast highway and crossing private property to watch lava flow into ocean. Sounded like quite a hike plus tresspassing.

Thanks for taking the time to ask for questions! What night was the optional formal night? What were the 2 nights that lobster was available in the main dining room(s)? What time did you do the lava sail by? We were on the Pride Jan. 08 but they have changed the island rotation a bit and added the 2nd lobster night in the main dining rooms!

Thanks for you insight. We leave for the POA in 3 weeks and can't wait to get out of Cold South Dakota for 12 days!

Tammy

Saw one guy in a tux one night. Someone has posted the daily newspaper on-line. That has accurate information. I believe we had half of a lobster tail (no butter) Monday and Friday. Heard no one brag about it. I ordered a steak to go with that small piece of lobster. First time lobster was supplemented with grouper. Second time, mussle, scallop and something else. I asked for just the piece of lobster, waiter told me I had to take the combination. Weird.

Lava sail by will be announced. Or ask a bartender. We slowed speed so it lasted at least half of an hour.

Thanks for all of your snow and cold wind. -16 F today. Have been outside for a few hours trying to get our road open.

Sorry that I didn't give more accurate info, but formal night didn't seem important with freestyle dining.

We too noted not as formal of an attitude and believe me, we didn't dress up either. Was just hoping for 2 nights of better than average lobster tails! We've always ordered more than one anyway.

Sorry about sending you the COLD! Try to do better but mother nature has quit listening to my requests. Hoping for fantastic weather on Jan. 7 when we fly out of the middle of nowhere. We'll fly into Minneapolis and take the same flight over that you did. We too enjoyed the larger plane for the return flight home.

I'll be waiting your review!

Tammy

I looked on their website but I can't figure out if there is a hot tub in the fitness/spa area. Also do they have a steam room and sauna to use free? I assume they do since they don't have the spa pass. Can someone confirm?

There is indeed a free sauna/steam facility though it's not advertised. A recent review on the review page addresses this question but I don't recall which one---sorry!

Have booked a cruise on Pride of America for next July. We have never been to Hawaii and thought this might be a great way to see the islands.

We are not experienced cruisers, having been on only the Disney Cruise Lines(3 times). But the way I see NCL and POA getting bashed on these forums for food and service I'm a bit concerned. My wife and I are not the hard to please types, but everyone wants to be well treated and fed for the price we're paying. The food and service on DCL was great and I'm worried we may have set ourselves up for a big let down. What are your thoughts/experiences beyond what you posted above?

My wife and I are not the hard to please types, but everyone wants to be well treated and fed for the price we're paying.

"Well treated" and "fed for the price" are a little ambiguous since those are subjective terms. Do not compare this to a cruise or you will be disappointed. Will you go hungry? Probably not. Will it compare to you Disney cruise's food? Definitely not. Will they fall all over you anticipating your wants and need? NO. Will they be polite and respectful. Probably, especially if you are.

I am a bit concerned too. I have sailed with Carnival 4 times and have been pleased each time. I will be cruising with 3 teenagers. Any suggestions for shore excursions they would like?

It depends on how much research you have done for tours. Your teens like and dislikes are probably different from mine. But I believe there are enough ship tours and independent tours out there to satisfy any teen. See my previous post about comparing a cruise with POA.

I wonder since the fitness area is open 24hrs a day, if we would still have access to the steam/sauna rooms? The steam/sauna is probably in the spa area. Does anyone know what time it opens? We had trouble on our last cruise on Carnival, the fitness was only opened certain hours and we couldn't use it as much as we would have like with our busy schedule.

You will not find NCL to meet your Disney experience. We have sailed both and Disney exceeds in all categories. Only one problem...I can't usually afford Disney. Sometimes they have good FL resident specials but otherwise we choose NCL because we can afford it. It is adequate but not lavish, food good but not exquisite, and "Carnival-esque" in experiences not magical like Disney. I say this cruising with adults and older children so it's not the theme park stuff we like it is an elegance of a finer product.

Maui...rented from Thrity. Quick pick-up with shuttle. Parked at pier. About 40 spots in parking lot. More across the street along sea wall. Used car all day both days.

Hilo....Alamo.....they had a special going on. Used all day for VNP.

Kona...Thrifty...location, ease of pick-up. Walk to car from pier.

Kauai.....Alamo.....once again special price. Used for Waimea canyon. Got done early, so decided to go to Princeville. Only used one day.

Oahu.......Alamo...because we were staying at HHV. Their Waikiki location is across the street. Also because of their special and use of a coupon. Used a lot first two days. Second two days, just to get gals closer to their shopping locations.

Did you arrange these rentals ahead of time or just rent as you arrived at the port?

Archived