Last minute details...advice needed

nuyearsb2b

We are sailing in just over a week and are getting married while in port in Jamaica on New Year's Eve. Everything is almost in place (minus the packing, of course!).

We are still discussing a couple of details, though, and wondered if anyone has any advice that would help us make a couple of final decisions...

We are still trying to decide whether to get the video, which is $300. Is it worth it? Would we really ever watch it?

Also, we are contemplating writing our own vows. How did you decide whether to write your own vows or not? Did you read them or memorize them?

Any final words of advice for a nervous bride???

I haven't gotten married yet so I don't know how much help I can be but I have some advise anyway. The video seems worth it esp if you have family that can't come to the wedding but would really love to see it.. and if you are afraid you'll never watch it make a vow to watch it every anniversary, start the tradition and then you'll at least watch it once a year.

As for writing your own vows. I love the idea but take into consideration your abilities with public speaking. I can't even go in front of a small group of people I know and love on a normal day without my heart rate racing into the 130s and feeling like an idiot so although I like the idea of writing my own vows I know I wouldn't be able to execute it well. Just a lil something to think about!

As for nerves, bring a smooth stone to rub, it has a calming effect and stay away from anxious people, anxiety breeds anxiety. Best of luck!! Can't wait to read the review!

I was also going back and forth on the video. We decided to go for it at the advice of other couples. I think when you look at what the entire wedding costs, $300 is worth it so at the very least you have no regrets. Plus, it's a fabulous memory of your special day! Where in Ocho Rios are you getting married? I'm also getting married there on February 4!

I am getting married in 29 days (yay!) and one of my uncles is going to do some video taping, I believe.

I wrote our entire ceremony along with the vows. I actually kept our actual vow portion short so we wouldn't have to memorize too much, but we personalized pretty much all of the ceremony. I figured this was the best way to make it ours, without having to memorize a ton.

I don't know if that helps?

I would definitely suggest videotaping your wedding. To me, the video and pictures are priceless. $300 isn't bad compared to other prices I've heard, but what I decided to do was to just get a video camera. My husband's parents bought us a very nice camera as our wedding present, and his cousin taped the whole thing for us. The way I saw it, if I was going to spend that much money, I might as well just buy the camera, because then I can use it for years to come. Either way, I think you might regret it if you don't have your wedding on video.

As for writing our vows, we did the traditional vows. I thought about writing our own, but when it came down to it, I felt like some of the things I really wanted to say to him were so intimate and private that I didn't want to announce them in front of a room full of people. We said the vows they provided, and I wrote him a card the night before the wedding with everything I wanted to say to him, and only him.

Hope this helps a little! Enjoy every minute of your wedding, it goes by way too fast!

We decided to go with the videographer at the last min as well. I have NO regrets what so ever about it! I would have tons of regrets if I hadn't! If it won't break the bank...go with it! I was just married in October...I've already watched mine twice!

I chose to go with the traditional vows...and don't regret that either. We've been together for so long (12yrs) that it wasn't a huge deal for us. At this point we can look at each other and know what the other is thinking or feeling. Maybe that is why...(???)

Last min. advice...if something goes wrong, let it roll off your back! Keep that smile on your face!

Thanks so much for all of the great advice!! We decided to go with the video.

We also decided to not write own on vows; instead, we are going to write each other letters that we can read privately. We were nervous about forgetting or fumbling the vows if we wrote them, but this way, we can still say the important, mushy stuff, and we'll have a written record that we can go back to for years to come.

Again, thanks for helping us make our decisions. It is hard to believe that I started visiting this board over a year ago when we started planning and that our wedding is now just days away! We are leaving tomorrow to drive to Orlando for a pre-cruise/wedding vacation at Disney. I hope to get a review up quickly when I return. Happy holidays to everyone!

We are sailing in just over a week and are getting married while in port in Jamaica on New Year's Eve. Everything is almost in place (minus the packing, of course!).

We are still discussing a couple of details, though, and wondered if anyone has any advice that would help us make a couple of final decisions...

We are still trying to decide whether to get the video, which is $300. Is it worth it? Would we really ever watch it?

Also, we are contemplating writing our own vows. How did you decide whether to write your own vows or not? Did you read them or memorize them?

Hi there!

We didn't get married on a cruise but we did get married in the Caribbean. Here's my thoughts on your questions.

Video- We had a videocamera, and had one of our (two) guests set it up on a tripod to tape. Certainly not super professional but it got the gist of it. However, if it was $300... I would honestly probably pass. I don't particularly enjoy watching myself on film (who does?) and when do you really watch it, anyway? There are lots of other things I'd rather spend the $ on.

Vows- We wanted to combine the "traditional" vows (sans the religious portions) with a few words of our own. We explained this to the officiant and he conducted most of the regular ceremony and then said something like "the couple now will now exchange their personal vows" and then when we were done he picked back up... it flowed really well. The parts we wrote were about a (short) paragraph each, not too long, but simply touched on some key important points to our relationship. We didn't write them until we got to the resort about 2 or 3 days before the wedding!

We got the video. Yes, we do watch it every now and again. I think it was well worth every penny, which really wasn't much to begin with in the overall picture. It also gave the opportunity for those who weren't able to attend and wanted to see our ceremony to do so.

Pictures are one thing, but they don't recreate the words, the waves crashing, etc....

We had our own vows intertwined with the 'official' ones. We had paper 'back up' just in case, but we pretty much had them memorized. We wanted our own as well because the cookie cutter vows didn't really express what we wanted to say to each other.

Don't sweat the small stuff! In the end, all that is important is that you are marrying the man you love. The rest is just details. Enjoy the moment and don't get caught up in all the 'is this done?' or 'I need to do this' stuff. It goes SO fast and before you know it, it's only a memory.

Our 1st anniversary is January 2nd and I can't believe all the worrying and stressing I did for such a small blip in time! :) I so wish I could do it all over again...it was truly a 'blip to remember' though.

Hope this helps!

Archived