Disembarking RCCL and heading to the airport

rmebda

Next May we will be going on a RCCL Med. Cruise that starts and ends in Barcelona. Does anyone know approximately what time the first passengers are usually allowed off the ship? We were planning on getting a 9:20am flight out of Barcelona - a couple of friends have made that connection with no problem. Our travel agent however is telling us not to book a flight before 11:00am. Is she being ovecautious?

Next May we will be going on a RCCL Med. Cruise that starts and ends in Barcelona. Does anyone know approximately what time the first passengers are usually allowed off the ship? We were planning on getting a 9:20am flight out of Barcelona - a couple of friends have made that connection with no problem. Our travel agent however is telling us not to book a flight before 11:00am. Is she being ovecautious?

I am not familiar with Barcelona, but I am sure some people will chime in who are. However in my experience with other ports 11:00am is kind of risky even for a domestic flight. With an international flight I would want more of a buffer than for a domestic where check in is faster and there are generally more options if a flight is missed. The ship can arrive later than expected due to a number of issues: Bad weather, mechanical problems, injured passenger requiring a diversion etc. Also once the ship arrives sometimes it takes a while to be cleared for the debarking process. Then there is always the possibility of long lines at the airport. Perhaps Barcelona is a unique port where 9:20am is less risky, but out of the five ports I have been to I would never risk 9:20am and would consider 11:00am gambling.

P.S. You may want to also put this post on the Royal Caribbean board as it is trafficked more so you may get more responses.

P.P.S. Welcome to Cruise Critic; I just noticed this was your first post. :)

We were on Brilliance of the Seas in May 2008. We had self debarkation and we were called off the ship at 7:15 which was a little before the scheduled time. We were in the Windjammer when they called self debarkation and we walked off with the first group of tags called, so we probably could have shaved 10 minutes off the time if we were waiting downstairs with our bags. We walked through the terminal and went to the taxi stand. There was no one in front of us for a taxi and we were zipped off to the airport. It was a Thurdsay morning and I would guess it took 20 minutes to get to the airport.

I think we were at the airport by 8:00-8;15 and we had a 10:20-10:30 flight because we had to wait a few minutes for the Continental desk to open, but not too long (Sorry, I can't remember the exact times). If you are flying on a European airline you may find that there is a long line for check in. The airport was not too complicated because when you take a taxi you get dropped off right at the doors near your airline check in. Some people say the airline is a zoo but that may be because they are flying a European airline.

I also remember it was a pretty long walk through the terminal after check in but that we had no trouble following signs. I don't remember how long the security line was but you have to know my home airport is Newark, NJ which normally has 30 minute security lines.

Once our flight was called to board, we had to take a bus to the plane. This might present a problem if you get there in the last 15/20 minutes after they have shuttled the passengers to the plane.

I would not even think of trying this without self debarkation since the first 4 groups were RCL transfers and then 2 colors of priority debarkation. Since the luggage came down on carosels, that could also cause delays and not allow you to get your luggage early. I also would not do this with RCL transfers. I am assuming your ship docks at 5. If the ship overnights in Barcelona, this may be a non issue. If the ship docks at 7 I would not chance it.

We made sure we had insurance in case we missed our flight. Our flight time was acceptable to be covered by insurance. Personally, I am not sure I would want to stress about a 9:20 flight. I would probably enjoy the whole day in Barcelona and get the 9:20 flight the next morning.

You have to be at the airport no later than 2 hours before an international flight, so I think booking a flight at 9:20 is a very big mistake. There are just so many things that delay disembarkation, and with the reduced number of flights nowadays, the chances of getting a standby flight will be tough. I would never do a domestic flight, much less an international flight that early. It would be totally different if you had an overnight in Barcelona before disembarking, but no way would I do a 9:20 flight.

We have sailed from Barcelona.

Unless your cruise overnights there, do not even consider the 9:20 flight. An alternative would be an overnight stay in Barcelona and flying out the next day if you want that particular flight.

Good luck because that is what you will need to be off the ship before 7 and to the airport two hours before departure.

We were on Brilliance of the Seas in May 2008. We had self debarkation and we were called off the ship at 7:15 which was a little before the scheduled time. We were in the Windjammer when they called self debarkation and we walked off with the first group of tags called, so we probably could have shaved 10 minutes off the time if we were waiting downstairs with our bags. We walked through the terminal and went to the taxi stand. There was no one in front of us for a taxi and we were zipped off to the airport. It was a Thurdsay morning and I would guess it took 20 minutes to get to the airport.

I think we were at the airport by 8:00-8;15 and we had a 10:20-10:30 flight because we had to wait a few minutes for the Continental desk to open, but not too long (Sorry, I can't remember the exact times). If you are flying on a European airline you may find that there is a long line for check in. The airport was not too complicated because when you take a taxi you get dropped off right at the doors near your airline check in. Some people say the airline is a zoo but that may be because they are flying a European airline.

I also remember it was a pretty long walk through the terminal after check in but that we had no trouble following signs. I don't remember how long the security line was but you have to know my home airport is Newark, NJ which normally has 30 minute security lines.

Once our flight was called to board, we had to take a bus to the plane. This might present a problem if you get there in the last 15/20 minutes after they have shuttled the passengers to the plane.

I would not even think of trying this without self debarkation since the first 4 groups were RCL transfers and then 2 colors of priority debarkation. Since the luggage came down on carosels, that could also cause delays and not allow you to get your luggage early. I also would not do this with RCL transfers. I am assuming your ship docks at 5. If the ship overnights in Barcelona, this may be a non issue. If the ship docks at 7 I would not chance it.

We made sure we had insurance in case we missed our flight. Our flight time was acceptable to be covered by insurance. Personally, I am not sure I would want to stress about a 9:20 flight. I would probably enjoy the whole day in Barcelona and get the 9:20 flight the next morning.

Thanks EGG this was really helpful. But we are on a European carrier so maybe the experience will be different.

We are flying home via British Airways from Barcelona - London - Bermuda. In London we have to change airports as it is, which can take at least an hour or so. That's why we didn't want to wait until the 11:00 flight just be sure we allow plenty of time for that connection.

I know many have suggested overnighting but we want to get home the same day because our daughter's birthday is the next day and we don't want to miss that

Please do take everyone's advice, and do NOT book that 9:20 flight. While it is technically possible that you could make it, the likelihood of NOT making it is extremely high. And if you don't make it, there is no guarantee that they will be able to get you on a flight that same day, so you may very well end up spending the night in Barcelona (which is not such an awful thing, to be honest - it's one of my favorite cities). But if you are truly set on flying home that day, I urge you to listen to your TA and book the 11:00 am flight.

In order to make that 9:20 flight, absolutely everything has to go perfectly. And there are far too many potential failure points (some of which were mentioned above) to leave such a thing to chance.

• 2 months later...
Thanks EGG this was really helpful. But we are on a European carrier so maybe the experience will be different.

We are flying home via British Airways from Barcelona - London - Bermuda. In London we have to change airports as it is, which can take at least an hour or so. That's why we didn't want to wait until the 11:00 flight just be sure we allow plenty of time for that connection.

I know many have suggested overnighting but we want to get home the same day because our daughter's birthday is the next day and we don't want to miss that

Groan! You could've taken the 11:10am AA flight (non-stop) to JFK and catch the same day flight back home - that was what we did. And AA was a lot cheaper than BA ($1500 cheaper for the 3 of us last Dec/Jan). The JFK AA terminal is a brand new one and a great one - better than having to transfer in London!!

On the way out to Barcelona we had 9 hour layover but we invested $50 pp (kids free) to spend the day in Admiral's Club - not bad at all. You can have a choice of going shopping ot go into Manhattan but we opted for Admiral's Club to be on the safe side. Plus the terminal has plenty of shops for you!!

May I add, we are Brits and UK passport holders but we prefer to travel to anyplace beyond UK via JFK (or any other US city) than London!!

Archived