Florida Storms October - Questions from Oz

Rassa

Hi all,

We are thinking of booking Coral Princess through the Panama and up to LA. But prior to that, we would be doing a New England on Holland America which ends in Fort Lauderdale on the same day that Coral Princess leaves for the Panama cruise.

Can anyone tell me what's the weather like at that time of the year (i.e. tournados). Is it risky booking one cuise and on the day it finishes, joining another in the same port. Is Fort Lauderdale a huge port - can we just walk off one ship - go across the pier (or whatever) and get on the next ship.

The weather is a concern to me (not the cold - just the wild weather) but the ports sounds really interesting.

Rassa (from oz)

FLL is quite a large port. I'd plan on getting a cab to your HAL ship; it should be less than $10.

Weather in FL in October can be anything from warm, sunny and no wind to a raging hurricane. There's no way to predict what it'll be ahead of time. Even a hurricane near miss could prevent your ship from arriving on time or the HAL ship from doing the same. Again, it's a big unknown. That's why cruising out of FL in September or October is relatively inexpensive as this is still very much hurricane season, which lasts into November. Not to be a pessimist but one of the worst hurricanes to hit this area was at the end of October in 2005; it was largely ignored by the media because it was shortly after Katrina hit New Orleans but was actually a stronger hurricane than Katrina.

As long as you are aware that anything can happen and you have insurance, go for it! You just never know and if you don't book, you'll always wonder.

You will have to grab a cab fro the Holland American pier to the Princess pier-it's a long walk and it's a huge port!

October weather in the Caribbean is very unpredictable-beautiful days with hurricane threats. If it's any comfort, I live in Florida and always cruise at the end of October. Only once we had to divert due to a storm. Call it luck!

FLL is quite a large port. I'd plan on getting a cab to your HAL ship; it should be less than $10.

Weather in FL in October can be anything from warm, sunny and no wind to a raging hurricane. There's no way to predict what it'll be ahead of time. Even a hurricane near miss could prevent your ship from arriving on time or the HAL ship from doing the same. Again, it's a big unknown. That's why cruising out of FL in September or October is relatively inexpensive as this is still very much hurricane season, which lasts into November. Not to be a pessimist but one of the worst hurricanes to hit this area was at the end of October in 2005; it was largely ignored by the media because it was shortly after Katrina hit New Orleans but was actually a stronger hurricane than Katrina.

As long as you are aware that anything can happen and you have insurance, go for it! You just never know and if you don't book, you'll always wonder.

Ah yes... Hurricane Wilma... the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic Basin. It started in the Caribbean, blasted the Yucatan Peninsula and then did a 180 degree turn and headed to Florida, crossing the peninsula and then headed up the Atlantic coast. I believe it's the only hurricane on record to ever cross Florida from west to east.

We were onboard Golden Princess leaving from NYC to San Juan when the hurricane was in the Gulf of Mexico. We steamed southeast at full speed for 3 days to outrun the hurricane as it crossed Florida. 'Twas quite a ride!

Hi all,

We are thinking of booking Coral Princess through the Panama and up to LA. But prior to that, we would be doing a New England on Holland America which ends in Fort Lauderdale on the same day that Coral Princess leaves for the Panama cruise.

Can anyone tell me what's the weather like at that time of the year (i.e. tournados). Is it risky booking one cuise and on the day it finishes, joining another in the same port. Is Fort Lauderdale a huge port - can we just walk off one ship - go across the pier (or whatever) and get on the next ship.

The weather is a concern to me (not the cold - just the wild weather) but the ports sounds really interesting.

Rassa (from oz)

Check this NOAA site it may give you more insight to your question:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastall.shtml#tracks_all

Ah yes... Hurricane Wilma... the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic Basin. It started in the Caribbean, blasted the Yucatan Peninsula and then did a 180 degree turn and headed to Florida, crossing the peninsula and then headed up the Atlantic coast. I believe it's the only hurricane on record to ever cross Florida from west to east.
Correct. Naples, FL was heavily damaged as was Fort Lauderdale, which didn't have power for over a week -- no gas stations, no traffic lights, etc.

Correct. Naples, FL was heavily damaged as was Fort Lauderdale, which didn't have power for over a week -- no gas stations, no traffic lights, etc.

This is really not true. There were some gas stations running

on generator power. ...more as time went on.

And, many communities deployed fleets of portable generators

to power traffic signals at major intersections.

"No" is certainly inaccurate.

Since you are coming all the way from Oz, I would say just go for it and do both cruises. I live in south FL and the weather during any part of hurricane season is anyone's guess. We could have one right after another or none at all. But we cruise all year round and the cruiselines are pretty good at anticipating the changes they need to make BEFORE a hurricane gets here. Be sure and have insurance for both trips (although most insurance co's won't pay out for 'acts of God' - which may or may not include hurricanes - check before you buy your insurance policy for the trips). Good ol' Hurricane Wilma did a number on us - we were on a TA cruise from Rome to FLL - left our car at the FLL airport and came back to 2 flat tires, most of the car windows blown out, a huge hole in the windshield (something went through it), and the car full of water, trees, dirt, glass, etc - what a mess - and we still had to figure out how to get back home!

I do hope you enjoy your time over here - we are cruising Oz/NZ in Feb and it will be our 4th and we can't wait! We love both those countries and just keep being drawn back to them. And with y'all cruising New England and the Caribbean, you will see such a difference in those parts of our country (not that the Caribbean is the USA but you know what I mean). Go, enjoy, and have a wonderful time!

Cheers! Cindie

Hi all,

Rassa (from oz)

Think you will be fine, the cruise lines will avoid the bad weather and still stay on schedule.

The port is big but only a 5-10 minute cab ride from one pier to the other. ;)

Thanks folks for the input - think we will take a chance.

Cindee - you will love oz and nz - nz will be coolish but the scenery is beautiful, especially going into Milford Sound. Going into Sydney is also the best (but I'm from Melbourne). Weather in oz will be warm to hot. Have a great time.

Rassa

Thanks folks for the input - think we will take a chance.

Cindee - you will love oz and nz - nz will be coolish but the scenery is beautiful, especially going into Milford Sound. Going into Sydney is also the best (but I'm from Melbourne). Weather in oz will be warm to hot. Have a great time.

Rassa

I lived in Glen Waverly for 2 years. :)

You are right... but it took days, in some cases weeks, before things returned to normal and life was very disrupted for quite a while.

I live 10 minutes from Port Everglades and we did not have power for 9 days after Wilma. Very Very few stations had generators, the lines where as long as when we had the gas shortages. And by comparison to Andrew, Wilma was a mild one. Now, by state law, more and more gas stations have generators.

Rassa - I love Oz! This will be our fourth trip back in 6 years! Also, I lived in the Alice for 2 years back in the 80's - now the Outback is really an experience! (We also went back there in 2002) Have only been to NZ once but also loved it and we are looking forward to going back.

We had a great time in Melbourne and spent a bucketload of $ at the Melbourne Market - and took the lunch train (with all the free drinks you could hold!) and that was a blast!

Can't wait to get back to Oz - I'll tell you - if for some reason we couldn't live in the USA, we would head straight to Oz. Everyone there is so friendly and just so genuine - they just take you in and make you one of them - which we have loved!

Hope you have 2 awesome cruises - and don't worry about the hurricanes - we may luck out and not have any next year! (From my lips to God's ears!)

Cheers! Cindie

We do not cruise in hurricane season. We were on a cruise in 05, and we disembarked in Lauderdale two days before Wilma hit. However, it appeared that it might arrive on the day of our disembarkation, but we were fortunate, although the ship contained a plethora of nervous cruisers.

Archived