Water temps

kathynorth

Has anyone snorkeling around Nassau and Freeport in December? Is the water too cold to snorkel in just a bathing suit? Is the water too cold to stand in to do the dolphin encounter or swim? Thanks for your help! We leave next week.

We did the Blue Lagoon Dolphin encounter last December and the water was fine! Of course, my adrenaline was pumping pretty good and that in itself takes your mind off the water temp!:D

We snorkeled in GBI between Christmas and New Years several years ago... I could have done it without a wetsuit but would have been chilled. We are from SC and it does not get quite as cold here as up north so it might be fine for you. on another thread someone was from Canada and talking about swimming with ice... brrrrrrr!

Remember that Nassau is south of GBI and will be somewhat warmer. Think Miami.

Has anyone snorkeling around Nassau and Freeport in December? Is the water too cold to snorkel in just a bathing suit? Is the water too cold to stand in to do the dolphin encounter or swim? Thanks for your help! We leave next week.

When it's summertime where you live, how cold is the water that you normally swim in? Now that I've lived in Florida for a long time I find Nassau/FRP chilly in late December, but when I was a kid in upstate New York I could swim all day in waters much colder than that.

The ocean water is pretty cold up here throughout the summer. I'd say somewhere around 68-70 toward the end of the summer, but we don't usually stay in the water very long like we would snorkeling. It sounds like if we are going to snorkel that we should do this while at Nassau. Do the Blue Lagoon tours leave out of GBI?

It's definitely not too cold. I snorkel and swim all months of the year without a wetsuit in the area, and have no problem at all. When you first enter the water in the winter months, it's a bit crisp, but you get used to it within about 5 minutes - the key is to jump right in, not wade in. After the initial couple minutes get-used-to-it period, I can snorkel for an hour and a half or more before I start getting cold. In fact, I just snorkeled for 90 minutes on Capt Tony's tour last week - never did get cold. Great visibility this time of year too, 120 feet or so right now. You'll be missing out if you don't bring your swimsuit - just remember...jump in and start swimming around right away, you'll get used to it a lot faster. Imagine swimming in a Northern lake in the summertime - crisp at first, but you get used to it and it's great.

I measured the water in Freeport last week at 75 degrees. Last year at this time I measured it at 78. At Taino Beach, it was even warmer, about 80. We just did the dolphin encounter last week too, it was a lot of fun, and nobody was cold.

Have a great time!

How was Captain Tony's tour? We're thinking of booking with him for next week. Should we bring our own equipment (which isn't the best but is ours) or is his okay? When he replied to my email he suggested we bring a change of clothes for the ride back.

How was Captain Tony's tour? We're thinking of booking with him for next week. Should we bring our own equipment (which isn't the best but is ours) or is his okay? When he replied to my email he suggested we bring a change of clothes for the ride back.

Tour was fun. There's nothing like sailing on a catamaran. We got to snorkel for about 90 minutes on Treasure Reef, which is very beautiful with lots of fish.

They have snorkeling gear, no need to bring your own. The change of clothes isn't really necessary - only for if you want to get changed for lunch or shopping at the Marketplace upon your return. Bring a towel and a camera. Don't put sunscreen on your face prior to snorkeling - it will fog the mask. Also, if you don't have a polypro or nylon shirt to wear while snorkeling or a wetsuit, then you'll want to make sure to put sunscreen on your back only before snorkeling - if you use sunscreen, make sure to use only natural, biodegradable sunscreen to prevent permanent environmental damage to reefs and fish.

We really enjoyed the Bahama Mama's Robinson Crusoe cruise too - it was also 90 min. of snorkeling, plus a BBQ lunch on the beach, beach volleyball, egg tossing contest, and dancing on the boat. 5 hours and only $10 more.

Have a great time!

Archived