Message Board Etiquette? Your Opinion ....

sail7seas

When you look at posts, below the poster's name, you'll either see "Cool Cruiser" or "10,000+ posts".

Do you think it is even remotely possible to have 10,000 substantive comments about cruising?

How else would you get to 10k posts without some spam mixed in there?

I agree that people on roll call can rack up posts but for the most part I think there is much more to it for some posters.

The op refers to message board etiquette - I have been reading this board for months and while CC is a wonderful forum, there are a few who feel compelled to insert their opinions everywhere and it is not substantial, useful or helpful information in fact it is often the opposite. i.e. the hot topics, the dress code or families who choose Holland America, we KNOW how you feel about them, but some go a step further ....I have seen posters berated, made fun of, and attacked if they do not have the same opinion. Yet those same people are on this thread - defending their forum etiquette.

I mean people really ! A thread dedicated to the "hilarity" of how a woman places her cutlery while dining ? Geeze, my grandfather has Parkinson's, do you know how difficult it is is for him to hold his utensils, much less place them in the "proper" position during each meal ? It is not easy for him and he has impeccable etiquette . Should he not be allowed in the dining room because Parkinson's affects how he holds his cutlery? Maybe someone caught him on video and is having a good laugh?

If another passenger had the audacity to reposition his cutlery - that is , imo atrocious etiquette as is the fact that some people here feel the need to put other's down on a message forum that is supposed to be welcoming and helpful. IMO

Happy Cruising !

“Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.” Dale Carnegie

I agree that people on roll call can rack up posts but for the most part I think there is much more to it for some posters.

The op refers to message board etiquette - I have been reading this board for months and while CC is a wonderful forum, there are a few who feel compelled to insert their opinions everywhere and it is not substantial, useful or helpful information in fact it is often the opposite. i.e. the hot topics, the dress code or families who choose Holland America, we KNOW how you feel about them, but some go a step further ....I have seen posters berated, made fun of, and attacked if they do not have the same opinion. Yet those same people are on this thread - defending their forum etiquette.

I mean people really ! A thread dedicated to the "hilarity" of how a woman places her cutlery while dining ? Geeze, my grandfather has Parkinson's, do you know how difficult it is is for him to hold his utensils, much less place them in the "proper" position during each meal ? It is not easy for him and he has impeccable etiquette . Should he not be allowed in the dining room because Parkinson's affects how he holds his cutlery? Maybe someone caught him on video and is having a good laugh?

If another passenger had the audacity to reposition his cutlery - that is , imo atrocious etiquette as is the fact that some people here feel the need to put other's down on a message forum that is supposed to be welcoming and helpful. IMO

Happy Cruising !

“Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.” Dale Carnegie

Great first post!! Welcome to Cruise Critic!!

I agree with you. I didnt like or get the point of the cutlery post. I thought it ironic that the person who posted it, in their haste to exploit the fault of someone else, made typo errors in their post. I thought better of mentioning that, but guess I will in this context.

I agree with you. I didnt like or get the point of the cutlery post. I thought it ironic that the person who posted it, in their haste to exploit the fault of someone else, made typo errors in their post. I thought better of mentioning that, but guess I will in this context.

I must have missed that post. Hmmm ....

I know this was a long time ago. But I just NOW found this thread, and I'd just like to THANK all those "regulars" who made MY first cruise two years ago so exciting.

In the time I've been a member, I've learned a lot about cruising and about HAL. I've also met people who are genuine, and have made me feel like I'm personally talking to them. If the boards were so cut and dry with no conversation/emotion I would not frequent it often. I also believe that the people you "meet" on this board in particular will help you to understand the "type" of person you'll see at meet and greets and on board one of those amazing dam ships.

This isn't wikipedia - this is a message board.

I know this was a long time ago. But I just NOW found this thread, and I'd just like to THANK all those "regulars" who made MY first cruise two years ago so exciting.

In the time I've been a member, I've learned a lot about cruising and about HAL. I've also met people who are genuine, and have made me feel like I'm personally talking to them. If the boards were so cut and dry with no conversation/emotion I would not frequent it often. I also believe that the people you "meet" on this board in particular will help you to understand the "type" of person you'll see at meet and greets and on board one of those amazing dam ships.

This isn't wikipedia - this is a message board.

I was referring to the people who feel compelled to put others down, not referring to people who truly take an interest and provide helpful feedback or are happy for you when you receive an upgrade, bon voyage messages before your cruise.

As far as the Holland America main forum being an indicator of the "type" of people you will meet on board, I disagree, I have found that most people we have cruised with were non -judgemental, unconcerned with what you are wearing, no one was monitoring who tipped whom and how much. Everyone we met were kind to the well behaved children. On our last HAL cruise, I did not meet one person who wanted to " throw the little darlings overboard" and we made many friends , mainly people who are more concerned with having a fantastic cruise. Also, I have yet to see the chaos that "errant families" supposedly cause on either one of our HAL cruises.

I think Cruise Critic is a great forum, the people I am referring to are a small but vocal part of this community. They have a right to post as I also have a right to express my opinions.

Those of You who want to keep certain "types" of people off of Holland America which is obvious by some of the posts and want to keep families from cruising by pages and pages of complaining yet Holland America is still welcoming to families and - gasp ! - people who may not have read Emily Post !

The same people who condemn people who ask questions about the dress code, tipping, and/or families onboard are reaping the benefits of reduced fares, because empty cabins mean less revenue, so what should Holland America do?

I know some of the answers will be "I will be willing to pay extra to keep xyz off of the ships" , "Make Holland America like it used to be in the good ole days", or "we Only Book Deluxe suites, so cost is not a factor."

I wish you luck in your efforts to ensure the only your "type" of people cruise on Holland America Line, it certainly won't be for lack of effort by some here.

Happy Cruising !

As far as the Holland America main forum being an indicator of the "type" of people you will meet on board, I disagree, I have found that most people we have cruised with were non -judgemental, unconcerned with what you are wearing, no one was monitoring who tipped whom and how much. Everyone we met were kind to the well behaved children. On our last HAL cruise, I did not meet one person who wanted to " throw the little darlings overboard" and we made many friends , mainly people who are more concerned with having a fantastic cruise.

I don't see the discontinuity. Sounds like most of the people who post on this board and who cruise on the line ... good natured, self-giving people who care about others and enjoy cruising. Yep ... sounds like the majority of those who post on the Main board.

Now, are some of us both opinionated and vocal about those opinions ... just like you? Yep. Do we sometimes say things on this board that we, perhaps, shouldn't or wouldn't in real-world contact ... again, just like you? I suspect so. :)

I was referring to the people who feel compelled to put others down

I understand what you were saying. I wasn't replying to you or anyone really (that's why I didn't quote anyone). I was just using this as an oportunity to thank those who have taught me, and to acknowledge those who have become true friends of mine. :D

On our first cruise, we found those cruising with us to be EXACTLY like the kind people I've met on these boards. In my new roll call (with over 110 people) I'm also finding THEM to be kind, intelligent, funny, entertaining, and the list goes on. I think a social community like this, warms people up for being social on board :)

Archived