Papal Audience on Departure Day

We are spending several days in Rome pre cruise and would love to attend the Wednesday Papal Audience. We are considering attending, grabbing a cab to our hotel in central Rome to get our luggage and arranging for a private transder to our ship.

All aboard time is 5:00 for a 6:00 pm sailing. We would like to be on board by 4:00 at the very latest.

What time does the audience usually end? Is it possible to get a cab right after it end? Is this possible?

Hi,

Hmmm.. That is a tough one. The Audience starts around 10:30-11:00 and my recollection is that it lasts around a couple of hours. If the weather is good it is held outside on Saint Peter's square. If weather is bad or cold , it is held in a building to the left hand side of the Basilica (as you are looking at it).

IMO, that is cutting it pretty close, don't know what is your comfort level with risky situations. I wouldn't do it.

If you decide to do it, please be aware that you need tickets in advance to attend the Papal audience.

Good luck!

It usually begins around 10:30 (although people begin arriving much earlier, say, at 9:00) and lasts until about noon.

Cabs might be scarce after the audience ends, but you could take the metro back to your hotel or to Termini and pick up a cab there to your hotel. You could perhaps plan to be underway with a pick-up at 1:30 at your hotel, putting you at Civitavecchia around 3pm.

We were in Rome Oct '08 and as we approached the Vatican, saw that there was a lot of activity going on. I had no idea we would see a Papal Audience. We did not need a ticket, there were metal detectors set up, and everyone just lined up to go through to St. Peters Square. There were thousands of people. There were some up close in chairs, but the vast majority of people were just standing and milling around the square.

We took photos, and even got a good shot of the Pope, but only stayed for about an hour, it was wonderful to see, but neither of us are Catholic, so we didn't stay for the whole thing. Lots of people were coming and going. It would just depend on you, how long you wanted to stay, you wouldn't have to stay until the very end. We arrived about 9:45, and left probably 10:30 or 11:00. We walked over to the Ho Ho bus stop area, and I believe there was a taxi queue on the right hand side of the square. I know there was after the audience was over, and the street and square were back to normal, but that was like 4:00 in the afternoon as we were on our way back to our hotel. But I would think you should be able to do it, just set yourself a time to leave, the drive to Civitavecchia is about an hour to an hour and half. Our driver picked us up at 11:30 and we were on the ship by 1:30. When you make your transfer arrangements, just be sure to confirm the time you need to be on the ship with the driver, and then plan accordingly from there. I have a photo, but can't get it to load here. The traffic on the road into St. Peter's square was running pretty normal, not huge traffic jams, etc. even though there was a Papal Audience going on.

We had the same situation a few years ago. We had reserved seats beside the stage. We left a bit early. Got to the Metro back to where we stayed near the Spanish Steps, got our bags back to the Spagna Station to Termini and onto the Civitavecchia train. Got to the ship by 3 pm. Gotta love the adventure.

It will really depend on what time of year you are visiting as to whether the audience is in the square or the hall. If in the square, it will be easy to leave a little early, but if in the hall it will be more difficult.

Our timings were about the same as cruisemom gave. Taxis do wait by the square, but maybe they will be in high demand. Have you thought of asking the transfer company to collect you from St. Peter's, drop by your hotel to pick up your luggage & then on to the port? They may be willing to do this and you will have the peace of mind knowing there is a car waiting just for you. :)

Either way, as you are using a private transfer to reach the port, you will have time to do this comfortably.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we are going to try to attend the audience. Our hotel is supposed to be right near the Spanish Steps so it looks like we can take the Metro back to the hotel instead of a cab. I really liked the suggestion to have the driver pick us up, take us to the hotel to get our luggage and than head right to the port.

I haven't booked the driver yet but when I do, I will ask him about if that is feasible.

We were at the audience a couple years ago post cruise. When we attended it was held outside in the square and we foudn that if you have a ticket and are seated it is much more difficult to slip out early. If you are in the non-ticketed standing area you can leave early without a problem. I'm sure it is different if it is held inside the day you are there.

Archived