Mozzies

margrey

Ok as i was getting eaten alive by mozzies last night i had a thought,:cool: will i have to take some kind of insect repellant :confused:are mozzies a problem on board when it is really hot, i thought maybe for the islands we are visiting. For some reason they love me and i would rather be prepared if they are a problem:D

Thanks Guys

Marg

Hi Marg,

I would take some repellent. If you go to the Cascades in Vila (magical spot), you will need repellent for the walk to the waterfall. You won't need it at Mystery Island or Isle of Pines, but might at Emerald Bay, Champagne Bay and Wala. :):)

The mozzies love me too, Marg. I took some on both our cruises & will continue to do so. I never used it on the ship but on a couple of the islands. The worst place we went to for mozzies was Pentecost. I can't remember if they were a problem on Wala or not but I would certainly be prepared.

mossies are atrracted to me, I didn't get any mossie bites though!

One thing I will be putting into my review though, is the sea lice at Ouvea. Some of us were eten alive and others weren't touched. Some had aeroguard on and some didn't but I'm not sure if this was what made the difference.

I felt a few bites in the water that were painful for 20 seconds or so but I ignored them....over the next 3 days I ended up with AT LEAST ( i am NOT exagerrating) 150 bites on my torso and legs (where my cosi and boardies were) and on my head around where my hat was. So definately be aware of this

I used to get eaten alive by mozzies until someone told me to take vitamin B. Thought it must be an old wives tale, but hey, it really works.

Ella

Hi Ella,

I was given that tip around 20 years ago - and it is a genuine science. If you have good levels of vitamin B in your system (whether by diet or supplement), mozzies are not attracted to the scent of your skin/perspiration.

The down side is that alcohol depletes your vitamin B level, and a cruise would not be the same without a cocktail or two.

I would be more concerned about the Mozzies if I were staying on one of these islands - they are at their worst around sunset. We were not bothered by any on our tours, and the ship was heading to sea before sunset at each stop. It is still a good idea to take repellent - good insurance against Mozzie born diseases.

You should see the size of the one I drive past on the way to work everyday:

mosquito.jpg

• 1 month later...
mossies are atrracted to me, I didn't get any mossie bites though!

One thing I will be putting into my review though, is the sea lice at Ouvea. Some of us were eten alive and others weren't touched. Some had aeroguard on and some didn't but I'm not sure if this was what made the difference.

I felt a few bites in the water that were painful for 20 seconds or so but I ignored them....over the next 3 days I ended up with AT LEAST ( i am NOT exagerrating) 150 bites on my torso and legs (where my cosi and boardies were) and on my head around where my hat was. So definately be aware of this

This is soo very true... we just got back today from the pacific dawn and am covered in sea lice bites. this is the same for my mum and sister. so yes be very aware that ouvea has sea lice.

Rosie

Hi Ella,

I was given that tip around 20 years ago - and it is a genuine science. If you have good levels of vitamin B in your system (whether by diet or supplement), mozzies are not attracted to the scent of your skin/perspiration.

The down side is that alcohol depletes your vitamin B level, and a cruise would not be the same without a cocktail or two.

I would be more concerned about the Mozzies if I were staying on one of these islands - they are at their worst around sunset. We were not bothered by any on our tours, and the ship was heading to sea before sunset at each stop. It is still a good idea to take repellent - good insurance against Mozzie born diseases.

mosquito.jpg

He was heard to say "Drag her away quickly before the big guys come".;)

Hi Ella,

mosquito.jpg

Gee I can't believe I missed this post from Geoff...very clever ;).

Also got back home yesterday... Guess we were lucky no mozzie bites or Sea lice bites on us..... But another passenger we became friends with was covered in sea lice bites from Ouvea guess they prefered her than me LOL as we were "swimming" together and I didnt get any bites.

Also if going to Ouvea take a umbrella.... if there is an Island in Hell that is it.............. a few of us came to the same conclusion about this place.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether Malaria is a danger at either Pentecost or Mystery Island?? Should you take Malaria tablets??

I do not believe so. We didn't come across any mosquitos at Mystery Island and I think it was small flies, not mozzies at Pentecost. From what I understand, the malaria mosquito is active at dawn and dusk and you would not be ashore at that time.

Our doctor had studied malaria, and his advice before we went to Rabaul on a cruise was emphatic - not to take anti malaria medication. It is not advisable unless you are going to live there and it does not stop the malaria carrying mosquito from biting you. After the malaria gets into your body (I think it is in the liver) where it reproduces, and that is the stage that the anti-malarial medication kicks in. It stops the malaria from leaving the liver, but you would still carry it for the rest of your life. My doctor's advice to anyone going for a brief trip was to use insect repellant, wear long sleeves and long pants and take care in the early morning and evening.

I am not giving medical advice, just outliningg the advice given to us. If you are concerned (and I don't think you need to be) maybe you should get advice from your doctor. :):)

Evon.

Archived