Infirmary

mcnabb3801

Hi

Can any tell me their experiences regarding the infirmary and the cost? Just wandering what a trip to the infirmary and antibiotics would cost someone?

Stacey

P.S. I plan on asking our Gen. Dr for some antibiotics and steroids (Im an asthmatic before we go) Just wandering what the cost would be on board?

My only experiance with the infirmary, other than the free bonine, was with my son. He scraped his back and they gave us antibiotic ointment and a wash with hydrogen peroxide for free.

My sister-in-law had to purchase some dimetap for her daughter and it cost $10 for a very small bottle with 5 doses.

My advice is too get Rx's you may need ahead of time, and for emergencies, take the discharge papers and bill to your insurance company when you get home.

If you doc is aware of the asthma, they will give you an amount that will cover the out of country trip. If your doc won't, i would talk to another one. Steriods are part of an emergency treatment to asthma if I remember correctly. As for the antibiotics, I am not sure.

Our last cruise on Legend, wife needed infirmiry......she'd forgotten her prescription sleeping pills...and wasn't sleeping all that well !

She met with the Doctor, he wrote new prescription, and they supplied limited # of pills, they worked, and that's that !

Charge was not cheap, but within reason......and it was just kinda cool learning first hand that ship really does have a medical room to use in case passengers needed help !

My husband woke up with pink eye after our first night and we went to doc on board. Cost for visit and bottle of drops was approx $70 - I don't remember if they broke the charges down to visit and drops. We had insurance so we about broke even I guess - insurance was approx that much.

On the Splendor transatlantic I had to visit the infirmary for an outbreak of hives. The doctor gave me a shot plus some pills & my bill was $74.00. I believe the doctor's fee was $50.00 & the additional was for the medication. The type medication needed will probably determine the total cost of your bill.

Dont you have to pay upfront for the Dr's (infirmary) visit then submit to trip insurance?

Yes. They put it on your S&S. Ours was almost $4000 after DH's heart attack on board, and we had to pay it before debarking in Grand Cayman. Then another chunk to Cayman Islands Hospital - had to pay upfront, too. All was subsequently and quickly reimbursed between regular health insurance and travel insurance. And the best part is that DH is fine!

I just used the infirmary on the first of my Back to Back cruises on the Inspiration. The first night we sailed out of Tampa the seas were rougher than I have EVER experienced. After ten cruises, it was my first time to get sea sick. I had thrown up several times during that first night, so, first thing the next morning we headed down to the infirmary...with what seemed like about half of the ship. I was given a shot of Phenegren (SP?) and four tablets to take over the next 24 hours.I was 100% better within an hour. The total cost was $44.00. I did not see the doctor, only the nurse and the consultation fee for seeing her was $30 and the meds were $14. So, basically, it is no more expensive than going to an emergency medical clinic at home.

Over our 11 cruises between my DW and I we have been to the infirmary 3 times. The first time we both had fevers and upper resp. infection. The cost to see the doctor and get meds was $100 each. The other time my DW had a bad ear infection that was $90 to see the doc and get meds. On all three occasions it was put on our S&S and we were reimbursed by our health insurance when we returned home. I don't think the charge was to bad considering where you are and what your choices are. In all cases we got better and were able to enjoy the rest of our vacation.

John

klmorg
Yes. They put it on your S&S. Ours was almost $4000 after DH's heart attack on board, and we had to pay it before debarking in Grand Cayman. Then another chunk to Cayman Islands Hospital - had to pay upfront, too. All was subsequently and quickly reimbursed between regular health insurance and travel insurance. And the best part is that DH is fine!

First off let me say glad your husband is ok.

Now if i had the same problem guess i would still be on the ship. My sign and sail card would not hold a $4000.00 bill. Guess they better just clear me out a spot in the cooler next to the steaks.

First off let me say glad your husband is ok.

Now if i had the same problem guess i would still be on the ship. My sign and sail card would not hold a $4000.00 bill. Guess they better just clear me out a spot in the cooler next to the steaks.

LOL... too funny! Yeah, I don't know what they do with people who don't have that kind of credit limit or whatever (I was lucky and for some reason took a credit card with a high limit in case of emergencies; thankfully). I know people have asked about that before on these boards, but I've never seen an answer to it.

I had to go to the infirmary at 3:30am for kidney stones. I was petrified at what the cost would be!! The evaluation, IV, and pain meds (almost as good as rum punch!!) was $176. I decided the next time I am having a kidney stone, I'm heading for a cruise!!

Archived