Solstice Experience

naples007

So, while I'm sure the Solstice is a very beautiful ship with lovely public space, the thoughts of an uncomfortable cabin with bad bedding are the deal breaker for us.

"Uncomfortable cabins and bad bedding". Are you serious? The cabins on SOLSTICE are great with the best standard bathrooms at sea (for mass-market and premium lines). The bedding is excellent. Equal to HAL IMO. Both are very comfortable. Of course just like every ship, there will be some cabin locations that are more noisy than others. This is not just something unique to SOLSTICE.

Ernie

What cruiselines still have trays in the buffet? Have recently been on RCI, Princess and NCL and none of them had trays for some time now. Have never found it to be a problem.

I haven't either. Princess actually uses large *plastic* plates, and so does RCI and NCL.

Why no more trays? Aesthetics. The cruise lines are trying to get away from the cafeteria mentality with a long rail where people slide their trays and slop on the food. Then they walk around with a tray piled so high they can't even carry it.

Instead many lines are going with "food stations" so there are not the long lines, and you just go the area that has the food you want. It's a bit confusing at first, but once you have the layout down it's great.

Ernie

It alway surprises that so many cruise lines so often put their most expensive cabins right under the lido decks, where there is likely to be some external noise. We always book a mid-range cabin, either OV or balcony. That we have other cabins above us, cabins to either side, and cabins or fresh air below us - makes for a quiet cruise, albeit not luxurious.

Tom, on Solstice there ARE OV cabins below the Quasar lounge, on Plaza deck. These are some of their least costly cabins. I know because I booked a few of them for some in our group on the Feb. 22 sailing. I had posted a question several threads back about possible noise from the lounge above, and apparently I have one answer.

FYI:

I just got off the Summit and there were trays in the buffet area. Waiters would help carry trays but usually only for older people who needed it. For example, my mother had surgery on her knee recently so her gait was impaired and 90% of the time she was assisted. I wasn't offered help but I don't need it so I was fine.

FYI:

I just got off the Summit and there were trays in the buffet area.

Linen lined trays are used on the older Celebrity ships. On the newest ships of most cruise lines trays are being done away with, as the buffet is set up with "food stations" instead of a long buffet line.

Ernie

"Uncomfortable cabins and bad bedding". Are you serious? The cabins on SOLSTICE are great with the best standard bathrooms at sea (for mass-market and premium lines). The bedding is excellent. Equal to HAL IMO. Both are very comfortable. Of course just like every ship, there will be some cabin locations that are more noisy than others. This is not just something unique to SOLSTICE.

Ernie

Hi Ernie !

I agree. I thought the beds on Solstice were (by far) the best I ever had on a Celebrity ship. I never slept better. Eveyone in my Family (6 others) also had nothing but raves about the beds !

Regarding the person who made the comment about poor beds on Solstice, I must say that I have no idea what that's all about.

Well, from personal experience, my bed was heavenly--I slept like a baby; there was no creaking or noise of any kind to be heard in my room (except for my husband snoring); and we were offered coffee more than once by the wait staff while having breakfast and lunch in the buffet. So, everyone has a different experience. I can't wait to get back on board the Solstice.

We loved the stateroom and the bedding. It was so comfortable!!! I came close to glomming that bathrobe. The room had more than enough storage. That buffet was just really stressful in the mornings, and the hot plate did not mesh well with the cold fruit but thats just a minor peeve...we ordered room service twice and it was delivered right on time both times. I loved the fact that you could do virtually anything from the TV. Order room service, check your balance *yikes*, view and order your professional photos, they had dozens of movies, hundreds of kids of music, we got to watch some cool videos about the ships construction (that was the only way we knew who the cruise director was) there was so much information on the TV. Our TV had a giant scratch in it, but you couldnt tell when the TV was on. ;)

I love cruise critic and have learned a lot but it is amazing how some people can completely different impressions than I have lol. I went on the Connie Oct 2008 they had trays. Carnival Libery, Imagination 2006 they had trays. Amazara 2007 they had trays. Princess Golden feb 2008 they had trays. Ncl Hawaii 2007 and ncl 2006 they had trays. In fact I have done 15 cruise and the ships have never not had trays. If you have soup, salad and sandwich you need a tray. lol

debkjw

I love cruise critic and have learned a lot but it is amazing how some people can completely different impressions than I have lol. I went on the Connie Oct 2008 they had trays. Carnival Libery, Imagination 2006 they had trays. Amazara 2007 they had trays. Princess Golden feb 2008 they had trays. Ncl Hawaii 2007 and ncl 2006 they had trays. In fact I have done 15 cruise and the ships have never not had trays. If you have soup, salad and sandwich you need a tray. lol

debkjw

Hi Deb !

This isnt an impression. It's fact. If you sail on Solstice, you won't find trays in the Oceanview Cafe.... at least not at the moment. I agree that a tray is very helpful, and was missed on Solstice. Hopefully, Celebrity will reconsider this decision.

Linen lined trays are used on the older Celebrity ships. On the newest ships of most cruise lines trays are being done away with, as the buffet is set up with "food stations" instead of a long buffet line.

Ernie

Spot on Ernie, they are as you say designed as food stations, as I did, the idea is that you returned back to get a course as you needed it rather than PILING up a tray then trying to Juggle it through the "crowds".....

It worked for me, as my soup and stir fry were piping hot when I ate and my ice cream hadn`t melted:rolleyes:........

I enjoyed the new menu in Epernay, I came away feeling fulfilled rather than FULL to bursting. I had 2 appertisers, soup, "1" entree, a creme brulee and desert......:D

RICH

Well, from personal experience, my bed was heavenly--I slept like a baby; there was no creaking or noise of any kind to be heard in my room

We stayed in 4 different cabins (deliberate) front, aft SV, AQ and Concierge. We were never subjected to creaking noises, had very comfortable beds (not QUITE as comfortable as HAL by a narrow margin) and had our sleep disturbed only by a very bright telephone display. Our only major complaint about Solstice in our three weeks on board is the lack of dancing opportunities. In no way would I evaluate our Solstice experience less than our week on board Westerdam except the fact that we were upgraded to a suite on HAL. There were more tables available on Solstice than any of our lunch times on Westerdam. We liked HAL's food better but the service was deplorable in comparison to Celebrity's waiters. We found the low dark ceilings on Westerdam oppressive compared to the airiness of Solstice. We find both HAL and Celebrity good vacation options and would never consider spending three times as much on luxury lines just to get out of the cold. Anyone who condemns either one of these lines is doing themselves a disservice. Both offer good values but we continue to like the human element on Celebrity vs the extra calories on HAL. Food will continue to be subjective. We have sailed B2B on many ships where one week the food is superb and the next week mediocre. If you don't like your food, order something else. Celebrity waiters are very eager to supply you with food that you like and often ask if something is not to your liking. It's their desire to please that puts Celebrity service above the competition.

And NO trays on which to place your bowls, plates, cup/saucers, glassware, cutlery, etc., requiring numerous return trips to the buffet while risking having your food items going cold or being removed by a server!!!

What a MESS!!!

Could you please express yourself without put.ting everything into capital letters. It reminds me of someone in a conversation who wants to make sure they're being heard by yelling.

Could you please express yourself without put.ting everything into capital letters. It reminds me of someone in a conversation who wants to make sure they're being heard by yelling.

Well said.....................

Also the cutelry and napkins were already on the tables to use, I asked a server if he would get me coffee and he gladly obliged... I found on Solstice you only had to ask and service was given.:)

Archived