Explorer - 9 nights

David21

Hi Everyone -

Just booked the Explorer for 9 nights on April 17 - April 26.

Going to San Juan, St. Thomas, Labadee and Dominician Republic.

Has anyone done this cruise and if so how was it?

Got a great cabin location. Cabin is right next to the Conceige Club which I love hanigng out in so that work out great. Also got a great price of 799

per person. Weather should be good in April no?

Plese let me know what you think about this 9 night one.

Few more cruises and I will be Diamond Plus YEAH

Thanks everyone and have a Happy Healthy Holiday to all my fellow cruisers. Let's all try to do one more cruise in 2009 then we normally do.

Merrry Christmas

Dave and Dana

Hi Everyone -

Got a great cabin location. Cabin is right next to the Conceige Club which I love hanigng out in so that work out great. Also got a great price of 799

Thanks everyone and have a Happy Healthy Holiday to all my fellow cruisers. Let's all try to do one more cruise in 2009 then we normally do.

Merrry Christmas

Dave and Dana

Just returned from the Explorer 9 nights....here is the link to my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=892211

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Pictures will be posted shortly.

We did that cruise last April. We had a great time! It turned out that my favorite port was DR....we did the Countryside Safari through the ship. It showed us the area wonderfully. We had a great time and had a great CC group on board. We have sailed on the Explorer in the past. She is a lovely lady.:) Loved the sea days on that sailing!

Here is a link to my album of that trip on Webshots:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/563212110WHMqxn

I just have to ask... how did you get that price??? I assume you have a suite or something to have access to the conceirge lounge? (i'm new to cruising, so I really don't know, but just assuming).

They are probably Diamond status with Crown and Anchor.

Hi Everyone -

Merrry Christmas

Dave and Dana

I did that same cruise March 28-April 6. The Explorer is an awesome ship. The crew was awesome; we didn't have any problems.

In San Juan we just walked around. There's plenty of shops within walking distance. When I went on the NCL Spirit in August, we did the bioluminescent bay tour in Fajardo. It was awesome, you kayak through the bay and then end up in this lagoon where if you put your hands in the water the microorganisms glow in the water. It is AWESOME. We went in late August, so the moon was perfect. You can check the moon calendar here http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/places-to-see/bio-bay-in-puerto-rico/ & you can read my review in my signature.

In St. Thomas, we took a cheap taxi to Magen's bay to see where my parents got married. It's a beautiful beach with clear water and a few rentals if you're into that sort of thing. There were taxis right when you got off the ship, and it was not expensive.

Labadee was AWESOME. When I went we had to be tendered, but there is a dock being made, but i'm not sure when it will be finished. There are a few beautiful beaches, and since it's Royal's private island they're all close and free. There's a bbq lunch with music and also some shops near by. If you just want to look and don't want to bothered with bribery to buy things, DON'T GO IN THE STORES! The workers wont leave you alone to buy things! They wont leave you alone unless you buy something! Haha! Also, go to Dragon's Breath Point. It's really cool! Labadee is a VERY nice stop, so don't stay on the ship!

Our cruise also stopped in Casa De Campo, DR, but we didn't get off because we previously heard there's nothing to do or see right off the ship. We didn't book an excursion or anything, but there are ones available.

Just remember that if you book an excursion on your own that you're taking a chance of missing the ship. Spending a little extra to have that security is well worth it!

Just in case you don't know already BRING A POWER STRIP! It's so helpful for charging phones, cameras etc.!

The weather was GREAT with the exception of San Juan which rained the entire day. No biggie!

Hope this helps a little!

Our cruise also stopped in Casa De Campo, DR, but we didn't get off because we previously heard there's nothing to do or see right off the ship. We didn't book an excursion or anything, but there are ones available.

I have learned to form my own opinions about a port. We also had heard the bad reports about Casa de Campo, but as I stated before, it was the highlight of our cruise. I loved the tour that took us through the sugar cane fields. Instead of all the usual copycat Caribbean shopping and beaches that look all the same we had a tour that took us back to another time. We love to see how people in different parts of the world live. This tour did exactly that. The people really care for each other. that became evident on our tour when we saw a lone worker walking down the dusty road on a hot day with no buildings or rest in site. Our tour guide tossed him a water bottle from our truck I haven't seen that too often around here lately. Because we weren't completely comfortable about the infrastructure we did book this tour through the ship. A real good experience.:)

Archived