For those that have been visited by the upsell fairy, How far were you upgraded?

LittleBlue

Since I'm pretty sure I got an upsell call today that I will attempt to return on Friday, here's my question...

When you take an upsell, and you have not yet paid in full, do they just add it to the cost of your reservation, and you still have until the due date to pay it, or is it a "you have to pay for this now" sorta thing?

I'm surprised to hear that you might have received an upsell call this early. I have rarely, if ever, heard about it happening before final payment is due. Since I don't recall an upsell this early, I don't know the answer to your question but I tend to believe the additional cost would simply be added to your reservation with the total to be paid by final payment date.

It was our first NCL trip, so we were not latitudes members. We were booked in an EE ocean view (one of the 108 sq ft rooms on the promenade deck (7) on Majesty). They offered us a CC on deck 9 for $25 each. We took it and were very pleased with the 145 sq ft cabin, close to the stairway to the grill and ice cream machine! This was about 3 weeks before sailing. I had already printed out our pre-boarding materials and the agent could not find us on the register when we went to check in.

It's hard to tell the % of people who get upsell calls because the questions are always to people who have received the call. Maybe someone should do a poll. I don't know how or I'd volunteer to do so.

Since I'm pretty sure I got an upsell call today that I will attempt to return on Friday, here's my question...

When you take an upsell, and you have not yet paid in full, do they just add it to the cost of your reservation, and you still have until the due date to pay it, or is it a "you have to pay for this now" sorta thing?

I have never read that the upsell dept calls prior to final. Most calls are 30 days out or even closer.

my friend who was taking her first cruise with me on the carnival spirit got a fantastic surprise. we had booked a oceanview ( i had always had a inside untill that booking ) but were upgraded to a balcony. i found out at the dock. i had not even checked my docs at home for any change. what a great surprise. it was wonderful and she and i both were really spoiled after getting this cabin. so the '' up-grade fairy '' really does work miricles sometimes. :D.

NCL 2008 Jewel Repo from Mia to Dover, upsell from two AB's to two A3's for 1,000 per cabin.. definately worth it to us, since with the little kids who like to swin, we had a private indoor/covered pool which was nice on cold/windy days.. plus the courtyard access.

that was about 60 days before sailing date, and final payment was already made..

they also called again about 2 weeks before sailing and offered me 1 GV if I would give them BOTH my (now upsold) A3 cabins PLUS another 2K more per cabin (4K more total).. I told them no way would I give up 4 bedrooms for 3 bedrooms and then give them another 4K on top of that.. I thought it was a rediculous upsell offer and passed on that one.

In both cases our TA called us, although I know he inquired with NCL directly to tell them we would be interested in an upsell, I dont believe that made any difference.

Hi! Just want to ask if I still need to pre-register to NCL if I cruised with them before. I got my lattitude number already.

Thanks

uote=jbiz;17429742]NCL 2008 Jewel Repo from Mia to Dover, upsell from two AB's to two A3's for 1,000 per cabin.. definately worth it to us, since with the little kids who like to swin, we had a private indoor/covered pool which was nice on cold/windy days.. plus the courtyard access.

that was about 60 days before sailing date, and final payment was already made..

they also called again about 2 weeks before sailing and offered me 1 GV if I would give them BOTH my (now upsold) A3 cabins PLUS another 2K more per cabin (4K more total).. I told them no way would I give up 4 bedrooms for 3 bedrooms and then give them another 4K on top of that.. I thought it was a rediculous upsell offer and passed on that one.

In both cases our TA called us, although I know he inquired with NCL directly to tell them we would be interested in an upsell, I dont believe that made any difference.

I know this is an NCL question, but, we cruised twice on Princess in a regular balcony cabin.

We decided to try a mini suite and booked a guarantee for the July 2008 Princess. Most mini suite balconies on some Princess ships are fully uncovered. From day one, I was unsure of my decision for a mini since DH is not a fan of the uncovered balcony.

The first cabin they offered was way front of the ship. Not a good place for me. :( I have a problem with movement in that location. They gave us another cabin more center of the ship and I was happy, but still unsure of my DH and the uncovered balcony.

About a week or so before the cruise, my TA called and said that Princess called and asked if we would give up our mini and take a regular balcony, mid ship, mid deck. Then she told me they would refund $1,800 (a little more that 1/2 the fare) if we would agree. We did. I felt relieved not having to deal with my husband and that uncovered balcony. And happy about coming home with cash.

For our 9/09 NCL Jewel we're not taking any chances. We booked an AE suite.:D We don't expect an upsell nor a downgrade fairy visit.

We cruised ncl pearl.Had a mini suite 2 weeks before sailing got a call

for 600.00 total my husband,my self,my daughter and her friend to a court yard villa.The girls 11 years old were treated like little queens.Yes 600.00 for all of us.I checked my credit card twice.It can happen from mini suite

to a court yard villa.

happy sailing

for 600.00 total my husband,my self,my daughter and her friend to a court yard villa.The girls 11 years old were treated like little queens.Yes 600.00 for all of us.I checked my credit card twice.It can happen from mini suite

to a court yard villa.

happy sailing

Thats GREAT!

to a court yard villa.

happy sailing

We also took an upsell from an AF mini (prime aft location) to a Courtyard Villa at about the same cost. It was easily 50% lower than any other CV upsell offer we'd read about on the forums, so we figured we had no realistic expectation of getting such a good offer. Although we are what I call "plain balcony cruisers" due to choice and budget, and although we're perfectly happy in our balcony cabins now, I must say that even my "I'm very self-sufficient and don't need to be waited on hand and foot" DH was impressed. We loved the Courtyard and Courtyard Sundeck, as well as the Cagney's breakfast and lunch perk. We also had a fantastic butler, who spoiled us throughout the cruise. He was professional, courteous, and absolutely charming.

The story of that upsell: We had started with a BE GTY at a decent fare. We moved to a chosen BA (fare drop with a refund to our credit card; not new bookings only, before final payment). Later, we finagled that to the AF (Senior discount added, but after final payment; other lines will honor those kinds of discounts after final, so I sweet-talked my way into it with NCL plus a bit of additional OBC to partly make up for the difference in the lower AF fare vs the already discounted BA fare we had).

There had been an OBC bonus when we booked, which we kept through every cabin change, including the upsell. We ended up paying only $100 more p/p for the CV than we had originally paid for our BE GTY. What a sweet steal! We felt really fortunate and super happy about it.:D

beachchick

We also took an upsell from an AF mini (prime aft location) to a Courtyard Villa at about the same cost. It was easily 50% lower than any other CV upsell offer we'd read about on the forums, so we figured we had no realistic expectation of getting such a good offer. Although we are what I call "plain balcony cruisers" due to choice and budget, and although we're perfectly happy in our balcony cabins now, I must say that even my "I'm very self-sufficient and don't need to be waited on hand and foot" DH was impressed. We loved the Courtyard and Courtyard Sundeck, as well as the Cagney's breakfast and lunch perk. We also had a fantastic butler, who spoiled us throughout the cruise. He was professional, courteous, and absolutely charming.

The story of that upsell: We had started with a BE GTY at a decent fare. We moved to a chosen BA (fare drop with a refund to our credit card; not new bookings only, before final payment). Later, we finagled that to the AF (Senior discount added, but after final payment; other lines will honor those kinds of discounts after final, so I sweet-talked my way into it with NCL plus a bit of additional OBC to partly make up for the difference in the lower AF fare vs the already discounted BA fare we had).

There had been an OBC bonus when we booked, which we kept through every cabin change, including the upsell. We ended up paying only $100 more p/p for the CV than we had originally paid for our BE GTY. What a sweet steal! We felt really fortunate and super happy about it.:D

beachchick

I really have no idea how everyone does it. All I want is to get a CV for my Jewel sailing in February. The price right now is $4000 pp. How a BE could have been anywhere that price I do not get??:confused: How much was a CV on your sailing?

ALL the CV are open for my sailing so I am hoping they will want to cooperate with selling off some at a reduced rate, but your story is just sweet... Unfortunately I have a TA and she has to me my in between. So everytime we change our cabin we lose our OBC.

I have yet to see a seniors discount on NCL. RCI always have them, but never on NCL. Has anyone else seen a seniors discount? or is it something you can get ONLY when you call?

How many days out did you negotiate the CV? Thanks

All I want is to get a CV for my Jewel sailing in February. The price right now is $4000 pp.

Hmmm...So all you want is an upsell from a cabin where you likely paid $2,000 for 4 to a villa suite that sells for just under $8,000? Seems like a quite a jump. Perhaps more likely if you were going from a suite to a CV...but I guess someone always eventually wins the lottery. But, are you prepared to pay a couple thousand more? Good luck.

Hmmm...So all you want is an upsell from a cabin where you likely paid $2,000 for 4 to a villa suite that sells for just under $8,000? Seems like a quite a jump. Perhaps more likely if you were going from a suite to a CV...but I guess someone always eventually wins the lottery. But, are you prepared to pay a couple thousand more? Good luck.

I am ready to pay, but not the going everyday rate. I realize I am wishful thinking as well as understand it is going to take some money to move us. I would be very happy with the CV not even thinking about the GV.

If you read all of the previous stories you can see that people have moved from AF and or BA to the CV for $100's pp. I would have never thought that if I wouldn't have read it here. So like I said yes I am wishful thinking and I am willing to pay to get moved up. Winning the lottery would be getting upgraded to the CV, which is something that will not happen since I do not have that luck. ;) So thank you for the good luck I will need it!:D

I enjoy an aft balcony so no matter what I will be happy. I am also Platinum Latitudes so I get the perks without the suite. BUT I would love to get the opportunity to stay in the CV.

I really have no idea how everyone does it. All I want is to get a CV for my Jewel sailing in February. The price right now is $4000 pp. How a BE could have been anywhere that price I do not get??:confused: How much was a CV on your sailing?

ALL the CV are open for my sailing so I am hoping they will want to cooperate with selling off some at a reduced rate, but your story is just sweet... Unfortunately I have a TA and she has to me my in between. So everytime we change our cabin we lose our OBC.

I have yet to see a seniors discount on NCL. RCI always have them, but never on NCL. Has anyone else seen a seniors discount? or is it something you can get ONLY when you call?

How many days out did you negotiate the CV? Thanks

We were lucky, plus we were cruising the 2nd week of December when fewer people cruise (and more people go shopping, plan parties, or do other holiday prep "stuff"). Eventually, the ship cruised full, but only after the Upsell Dept made many, many calls to move the higher end suites and resell the lower categories. This is not the norm by any means. We never expected to get such a great offer. (I hate to say it, but we got three calls. Turned down the first two because they were more than the predetermined maximum we decided we'd be willing to pay for various categories. By the third call, only the GV--pipe dream for us even at "only" $1200/person more--and the A4s were available.)

When we originally booked several months before the cruise date, the BE GTY was the cheapest balcony. Then they dropped balcony fares by about $200/person for chosen BAs. That's how we got the refund. When the senior discount was added, it made the AF $100 less than the BA. We weren't able (and didn't expect) to get the difference when I sweet talked them into moving us to the AF, but we did get a small additional OBC. Then the third upsell offer was $300/person to move from the AF to the CV. It was about 20% of the actual fare difference at the time, but it really was a slow cruise time and not at all the usual fares that we normally see or have paid.

I found the senior discount when I was checking fares online. You can see what the various booking "codes" are by clicking on a certain part of the page (sorry, I can't remember exactly where). The cruise line won't call you if they add one. Also, RCI doesn't "always" have them in that they're only offered on some cruises and sometimes only on certain categories. We've had to call to find out about and get senior discounts on RCI too. Just like with RCI, there is no set time or way that NCL adds senior discounts. On one RCI cruise, they added it only 3 weeks before the cruise date and only for balcony cabins. On our NCL cruise, they added it about 6 weeks before the cruise date.

All I can offer is my very best upsell wishes and to send out all the good vibes I can for you to get that upsell offer! I'm doiing that right now.:D

beachchick

We were lucky, plus we were cruising the 2nd week of December when fewer people cruise (and more people go shopping, plan parties, or do other holiday prep "stuff"). Eventually, the ship cruised full, but only after the Upsell Dept made many, many calls to move the higher end suites and resell the lower categories. This is not the norm by any means. We never expected to get such a great offer. (I hate to say it, but we got three calls. Turned down the first two because they were more than the predetermined maximum we decided we'd be willing to pay for various categories. By the third call, only the GV--pipe dream for us even at "only" $1200/person more--and the A4s were available.)

When we originally booked several months before the cruise date, the BE GTY was the cheapest balcony. Then they dropped balcony fares by about $200/person for chosen BAs. That's how we got the refund. When the senior discount was added, it made the AF $100 less than the BA. We weren't able (and didn't expect) to get the difference when I sweet talked them into moving us to the AF, but we did get a small additional OBC. Then the third upsell offer was $300/person to move from the AF to the CV. It was about 20% of the actual fare difference at the time, but it really was a slow cruise time and not at all the usual fares that we normally see or have paid.

I found the senior discount when I was checking fares online. You can see what the various booking "codes" are by clicking on a certain part of the page (sorry, I can't remember exactly where). The cruise line won't call you if they add one. Also, RCI doesn't "always" have them in that they're only offered on some cruises and sometimes only on certain categories. We've had to call to find out about and get senior discounts on RCI too. Just like with RCI, there is no set time or way that NCL adds senior discounts. On one RCI cruise, they added it only 3 weeks before the cruise date and only for balcony cabins. On our NCL cruise, they added it about 6 weeks before the cruise date.

All I can offer is my very best upsell wishes and to send out all the good vibes I can for you to get that upsell offer! I'm doiing that right now.:D

beachchick

Thank you for your story! I use to cruise that week in December before my kids were in school. I remember how great it was.

Thank you for all the good vibes I will need them! ;)

I love hearing all these stories.

Sorry what I meant about RCI was that at least you can see a senior's discount on their website when you check it off. I have never seen it on NCL's website. We are travelng with my mom so I always check.

In a normal economy any ship that sails President's week would be sold out of all or most of the suite... the fact that all the CV's are open is the only reason I have a little hope.

Thanks again for all the vibes... I am taking them all in!:D

Sadly, so far never been offered anything on Norwegian but I've had luck on Carnival, RCI and Princess.

The best one was on our last cruise this past June, a 12 day British Isles cruise on the Grand Princess. Outta the blue we were upgraded from a obstructed OV to the top tier balcony category! It made a great cruise even better!

We'll love our AF mini on the Jewel this January 9th I'm sure. It'll be our first mini, but if someone called and offered us a suite.... :D

We were upgraded from an oceanview on Deck 5 to a balcony on deck 9 (same relative position on ship--slightly forward of midship). Though I knew from reading the boards that such things happened, I hadn't checked reservations since printing out tags a week or so before sailing, so didn't discover we'd been upgraded until check-in. Of course, our luggage had the old tags :(. When the luggage hadn't found it's way to us in about 1 1/2 hours, we visited the front desk, but the bags were there when we returned to the cabin less than 5 minutes later. We felt very blessed and suspect we will never go back. We thought we didn't care until we tried it!

Our upsell came thre days prior to sailing. We booked a courtyard villa for us and our daughter and her husband. We were offered an upsell to the Garden Villa for $3700 and took it. Invited our son and his wife and had the time of our life. Did not lose the $500 OBC. Paid less than 50% of the going rate for the GV.

Booked two BA GTY on the Jewel kept checking to see if our cabins had been allocated. when they where I could not find 14508 & 14510. Never thought to look in the courtyard. When I found them I was afraid to check again, just in case it was a mistake. It was a great feeling to have to use your key card in the lift to get to deck 14.

Had a suite on the Pearl, Deck 10 (not sure the category, but I think AD), got called for upsell to Courtyard Villa, but price wasn't worth it ($550pp). Checked the Roll Call every day and saw a post that someone who was in the Deluxe Owner's Suite had just taken the upsell to the GV, so I called our personal upseller immediately and asked what was available (knowing the DOS had just opened up). She said she had never seen a price like this, but did we want the DOS for $400pp? Um...yes. DH still wasn't a fan of cruising (his first one), but being in the suite with the giant private balcony and hot tub made it worth it, as did butler, Lanie - the MVP of NCL.

Archived