Anyone run into problem leaving the ship with luggage at ports

kooljamming

I take gifts to donate while on vacation. On land vacations, I pack an extra suitcase with school supplies, warm clothings and toys then arrange to meet someone in town or do a visit to a local school. We have done the same with cruising. On our last trip Carnival would not allow us to leave the ship with the luagge. I might simply pack the gifts in backpacks, which would be less suspicious. I know sometimes they will allow you to do this while other times not. I plan to meet someone in Cabo San Lucas.

Thanks for any feedback.

Pauline

I take gifts to donate while on vacation. On land vacations, I pack an extra suitcase with school supplies, warm clothings and toys then arrange to meet someone in town or do a visit to a local school. We have done the same with cruising. On our last trip Carnival would not allow us to leave the ship with the luagge. I might simply pack the gifts in backpacks, which would be less suspicious. I know sometimes they will allow you to do this while other times not. I plan to meet someone in Cabo San Lucas.

Thanks for any feedback.

Pauline

Interesting question. Yes, backpacks would not arouse "suspicion", but you just might want to contact Princess and inform them of what you want to do beforehand. That way they can arrange something with ship's security to allow you to take luggage off the ship. You are on a humanitarian mission and I don't see why they would want to hinder that... good luck!

When you try to take goods - any goods - ashore from a foreign flag ship without declaring them to the local Customs Authority, you are breaking the law. If caught, the officials may confiscate your belongings, and may arrest you.

There is a very simple solution. If you contact the ship's Purser and explain what you are doing, there is a landing form that must be completed and filed with the Customs Officials - usually 48 hours before arrival.

There is rarely any charge for this service or the Duty on the goods taken ashore.

When you try to take goods - any goods - ashore from a foreign flag ship without declaring them to the local Customs Authority, you are breaking the law. If caught, the officials may confiscate your belongings, and may arrest you.

There is a very simple solution. If you contact the ship's Purser and explain what you are doing, there is a landing form that must be completed and filed with the Customs Officials - usually 48 hours before arrival.

There is rarely any charge for this service or the Duty on the goods taken ashore.

This is the correct explination and proceedure going forward. Trying to "smuggle" the goods ashore in backpacks is inviting a lot of trouble and isn't a fitting end to all the good work you are intending to do.

It's good to know the proper procedures. On one trip I had to explain over 5 dozen pack of pencils, as not to pay duty at the airport. They weren't going to buy that I was going on a writing expidtions:D One agent wanted to charge me but another said it was OK.

I am going to shop the after Christmas sale at Walmart here as well. The girl's gift sets are half off and my daughter has many birthday parties during the year. I will take a small case and get the necessay documentation. If it's too much of a pain then I can take it with us on our land vacation in June. A Wal Mart in Mexico, sounds too funny:D

I often see people who buy luggage on shore bringing that on board. You are doing the reverse that does not make sense.

I am take gifts in the extra luggage to donate: toys, teddy bears, books, school supplies, kids socks. Sometimes in orphanages these things are hard to come by. Sometimes the kids away from the tourist areas have never tried American treats, so that's always a cool thing. I often arrange to meet someone on the dock or take trips outside of the 'tourist zone'. I do gift donations at home as well:D

Pauline

We often leave the ship with luggage -- it is easier to carry snorkel gear, change of clothes, etc. that way.

My husband and I each take a rollaboard sizes suitcase off the ship at many of the Caribbean ports and have never had a problem.

• 1 month later...

Do the ships have this form and may I fill it out on board before arriving at the port in question or must I do it before embarkation if the port in question is scheduled only 3 days after embarkation?

p.s. I will ask my TA, but you know how treacherous that can be.

Archived