Coral World and Coki Beach

ToddWelch

We are going to be on the Victory in January and are thinking about taking a taxi to Coral World and then spending the rest of the afternoon at Coki Beach. My understanding is that they are at the same location..?

Our situation is that we will have a group of 12 people....6 adults and 6 children. Three of the children are my 2 year old triplets. Our concerns are....

1. Best way (most reasonable) to get all 12 of us to Coral World/Coki beach and back.

2. Will the kids/adults like Coral World....is it worth the cost?

3. Is Coki Beach a good choice with the kids and for adults that want to snorkle?

Thanks for any comments you have.

Todd

I have been to Coral World. It was nice, not special but it was a cloudy damp day. I have been looking for snorkeling on St Thomas and read good reviews at Coki beach.

Some travel times.

From To 1 Person 2+ People (each) Time
Havensight Magens Bay $8.50 $6 15 min.
Havensight Charlotte Amalie $3 per person 6 min.
Havensight Red Hook $10 $8 17 min.
Havensight Coki/Coral World $10 $7 12 min.
Havensight Mountain Top $9 $7 17 min.

My family visited Coral World this summer and enjoyed it. It was interesting for both the adults and children, but my children are a little older than yours. (13, 11, and 7 at the time)

They have lots of exhibits and a large tank that you view from the center (the tank surrounds the viewing area. A diver gets in and feeds the fish.

There is also an underwater observatory that extends out into the sea that was interesting. Also some touch pools and personnel that get a shark for you to touch, etc.

At first I thought it was a little pricey, but afterwards I realized that we actually saw a lot.

Afterward we went over to Coki beach to snorkel. It is adjacent to Coral World. JUst walk down the boardwalk and go down the steps.

It was the end of the afternoon and a little cloudy and my DH and kids felt the snorkeling wasn't as good as some other we'd done. I had a bit of a headache so I didn't snorkel there. Many others have commented favorably on the snorkeling, so maybe it was just the circumstances, or we were tired!

We were staying for the week at Sapphire Beach and had some great snorkeling right from shore there. So we just headed back there.

Overall I thought Coral World was worthwhile, but not a place I would say,"absolutely don't miss it." There are not a whole lot of other things on the island that would interest children. If you think you are going to go, I think there is a discount coupon on their website.

Sorry to ramble on so long!:o Hope it helps!

We were at Coki Beach a couple of weeks ago. The snorkeling was as good as any I did on this cruise (eastern Caribbean), but I did not think that anywhere I snorkeled or dove (St. Thomas, St. Martin, Angtigua) was as good as the western Caribbean.

However, snorkeling at Coki Beach was the first time I saw squid that wasn't fried.

we made a day of it on an Eastern Caribbean cruise two years ago, taxi'ing to Coral World, then swimming at Coki Beach. It was the clearest water we enjoyed that entire cruise. If you are aquarium/sea-life fans, Coral World is definitely worthwhile. Our son is now 8 1/2 and very excited about returning to see it again in a few weeks on our next cruise, although this time we are going to do something more adventurous -- hit St. John in the morning for the beach, then Coral World on the way back. Note that much of it is outdoors (turtle tank, ray tank, etc.) so don't forget the hats/sunscreen/etc.

TR
Millennium EC 12/12/04
Mercury CA-MX 4/04, Infinity AK 8/03, Century WC 3/03, Century EC 9/02

Just got back from our cruise yesterday. Of all the beaches we went to, Coki was by far the best for snorkling,especially the end of the beach closest to coral world.Our kids had a great time because they could snorkel in water that wasn't over their heads. At the end of the beach furthest from Coral world, you may meet a man named Web who took care of our needs for chairs, umbrellas, and drinks. Beware that some of the buldings at the beach are run down and the bathrooms at the bar were pretty bad, but our day there was truly great!

We just got back yesterday from our cruise, we did go to coki beach...not coral world.
We went all the way down to the left of the beach furthest from coral world, it was great.....bring dog biscuits...we brought a whole bag full and the fish were all over us eating out of our hands...right off the sand....you don't even have to snorkel, but we did.
That was the highlight of all the beaches, my kids were loving it. If you look forward toward the water it is beautiful, look behind you on the sand, the beach has trash, old tires and other junk...that was disappointing....very run down!
But worth it because of those gorgeous friendly fish!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='lbchew']Just got back from our cruise yesterday. Of all the beaches we went to, Coki was by far the best for snorkling,especially the end of the beach closest to coral world.Our kids had a great time because they could snorkel in water that wasn't over their heads. At the end of the beach furthest from Coral world, you may meet a man named Web who took care of our needs for chairs, umbrellas, and drinks. Beware that some of the buldings at the beach are run down and the bathrooms at the bar were pretty bad, but our day there was truly great![/QUOTE]
Lol, how funny. I remember Web. We were just there on Saturday and he got us some stuff also. Nice guy.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived