Is it realistic, or even possible, to cruise with 4 young kids (5 mos- 8yo)?

chrissymama

I am dreaming of going on a cruise next Christmas. At that time, we will have a 5 month old, 2.5 yo, 5 yo, and an 8yo.

Is this even possible?

If so, which cruise line would you recommend?

Or, if Christmas doesn't work out, how about another time of year, perhaps when the kids are a little bit older (not too much though, I'm itching to go on a cruise!)

Thanks!

Chrissy

God bless ya...LOL.

No seriously....it would be possible if your 5 month old was older than 5 months. ;) Most of the mainstream cruise lines are starting the minimum age to cruise at 6 months.

Disney is one that is still holding the minimum age at 12 weeks.

I will be cruising for the next two Christmases/New Years...I have two kids. :D

With that many kids to pay for, the main issue will probably be price. You will have to pay for the kids unless you take NCL (kids under 2 are charged just port fees/taxes) or Costa/MSC.

It's possible, but it's not going to be the "romantic getaway" that most envision cruises to be! The 8yo will most likely LOVE the kids program, the 5 yo---depends on the kid...the other 2 are too young on most cruiselines.

I guess it really depends what you're looking for in a vacation!

We are thinking of doing the Carnival Dream next year the week before Christmas. I know they have family suites that fit 5 (we have 3 kids).

My parents will be coming with us. Its cheaper for us to get the family suite then just a seperate cabin for my parents.

I had heard some cruiselines will not let you get an adjoining room if there are only 2 adults in the group. Is this true?

Unless it's Disney, the baby will have to be, at a minimum, 6 months old. The cruise lines recently changed their rules to allow no one under 6 months to cruise.

Depending on the cruise line, your 2.5 will be able to be in the kid's program, but some will say potty trained is a must.

I love cruising but the problem with babies and cruising IMO is that you pay full freight for them but they really can't use much on the ship.

I would wait a few more years because the cabins are small compared to a hotel or condo. I just don't think it would be that relaxing.

Having said that- travel with 2 and under is rarely relaxing!

I am dreaming of going on a cruise next Christmas. At that time, we will have a 5 month old, 2.5 yo, 5 yo, and an 8yo.

Is this even possible?

If so, which cruise line would you recommend?

Or, if Christmas doesn't work out, how about another time of year, perhaps when the kids are a little bit older (not too much though, I'm itching to go on a cruise!)

Thanks!

Chrissy

I think the new RCI Oasis class ships will now have a nursery for little ones starting at 6 mos. So, if you wait a little, all your kids could take part in the kids club or nursery. But, I think RCI Oasis class ships are the most expensive RCI has, so, don't know if that would work or not. I bet you can do it though, and would have a great time.:)

I took a look at the prices for Oasis, and was shocked by what they're charging for inside cabins !!! I bet once the newness wears off, the prices will come down, but for now, holy cow !!!

It depends on what month. I booked for Sept 2010 and actually my price was lower than my other cruises. It's the cost of the suites that gets me on that ship, I would have to add about $1,800 more pp to get into a Junior Suite. :eek:

Hi there...I'm booked on Freedom of the Seas with 4 kids (we haven't gone yet) Mine will be 13mos., 2, 6, and 8. This is a family trip, so it'll be us w/ DH, my mom, and 4 in-laws. So, I will have lots of help. I don't know if we would have done it with the kids that young without help.

Thanks to this board (cruisinmama especially), we decided on a ship that had an area for babies in swim diapers. We wouldn't have picked a ship without that, since 2 (well, hopefully just 1) of our kids will be in swim diapers. So, for us, that limited us to certain Disney and Freedom class Royal Caribbean ships. That's another thing to think about.

Awww thanks! :o:D

And if Royal Caribbean is reading this, you can send me a fruit basket to Michele, with one L to..... :p

Hey, you deserve it. I was ready to cancel and do a land vacation when I got off the phone with RCI and they TOLD ME 3 TIMES that there was no RCI ship that had an area where babies with swim diapers could play.

Luckily, I posted here, and you showed me a picture that proved them wrong!!

Hey, you deserve it. I was ready to cancel and do a land vacation when I got off the phone with RCI and they TOLD ME 3 TIMES that there was no RCI ship that had an area where babies with swim diapers could play.

Luckily, I posted here, and you showed me a picture that proved them wrong!!

Yeah, well they are idiots. They should read their own web site. ;)

Uh oh, there goes my fruit basket. :p:D

We are cruising with 4 kids in February. :D They will be 11m, 2y10m, 7y and 10y. We cruised with 3 of them 2 yrs ago. We choose NCL for 2 reasons. 1. We can drive from Boston to NY, no flying and can pack all we felt we needed.

2. Freestyle dining has worked well for us. We were not tied into a dinner time, or if we wanted to feed some of the kids at the buffet, and just get them dessert in the dining room while DH and I ate.

Kids under 2 only having to pay port charges, and kids club for 2yr olds were just bonuses.

Whenever we travel we get two adjoining rooms, so cruising was no different. We liked having the two cabins, the two balconies and the two bathrooms. Our friends enjoyed the family suite on RCL, but missed the balcony. We love breakfast on the balcony.

Hopes this help. We started traveling with our 2 oldest when they were only a month old, so we enjoy traveling with our kids and are willing to take on the extra planning and hassel, but it is not for everyone.

We are taking our 5 (4 mos, 2yo, 3yo, 4yo, 5 1/2yo) on a Caribbean cruise with MSC in a few weeks. We got an incredible deal (kids sail free with 2 adults - my mom and dad are coming along also and the baby didn't count) and are paying the same amount for an outside quad cabin (plus port charges and fees for the 5 kids) that DH and I paid for just the two of us in a balcony on RCCL the same time last year. Are we crazy? Perhaps. Many think we are crazy simply for having 5 kids under 6. Should we stay home until they are all 18 and out of the house? no way. I say go for it and enjoy....hopefully we will!

J

Our lives as parents are already different. Whether it's one kid or 5, our lives are so different compared to people who do not have kids.

I don't remember the last time I slept in (even on a Saturday), and usually my dinner gets cold by the time I'm done cutting up everyone's food into little pieces. I can do about anything with just one hand while holding a baby, and I do AT LEAST one load of laundry a day. I know all of you feel the same way!

So, compared to my regular life with four kidlets, a cruise with four kidlets will be a blast!! I'm sure the difference in an adults-only cruise vacation vs. a cruise with kids is the same difference as a regular life with no kids vs. one with kids. My kids are a blessing. Four exhausting blessings! This is our family vacation, and I couldn't leave behind 66% of my family!

OK, thanks for letting me vent and getting excited again about our cruise!

Archived