Carnival miracle bait and switch

firemankerry

typo, I said I would NOT consider celebrity, when in fact I am booking them and considering them. Too early to type!!

OP I think you are whistling dixit on the fuel surcharge thing, and they answered that question. It doesnt matter how complicated it was, I think all of us and you understood under what circumstances you would get the fuel back. Its just one of those things, you booked the wrong week.

I would concentrate on them not going to Panama instead if you write Carnival again, which to me is a legitamate issue. Just my viewpoint.

I hope that you can find a vacation that you feel meets your needs and provides you a good value for your hard earned dollar. As for Carnival they are doing what they feel like they have to do to satisfy their shareholders, and sometimes things just don't work out right.

I wonder what Shareholders will think when bookings drop and they lose customers due to poor customer service, unmet expectations, etc.

I wonder what Shareholders will think when bookings drop and they lose customers due to poor customer service, unmet expectations, etc.

Ted,

You have been cruising since 01. You have done CCL and some sister lines. NCL and RCL. In your cruising life, the differences between the lines you have experienced can be measured in SMALL percentage points. Carnival has improved somewhat in your time while NCL has declined a bit and RCL has gone well downhill in food and service while exhausting their funds on beautiful ships.

What will Carnival shareholders think?

Chart the financial condition of the lines you've sailed since 01. Not the stock prices, the financial condition over that 8 year period.

If the economy doesn't climb out of the toilet in 09, some line will not be around in 2010. Carnival will be.

Dan

You have been cruising since 01. You have done CCL and some sister lines. NCL and RCL. In your cruising life, the differences between the lines you have experienced can be measured in SMALL percentage points. Carnival has improved somewhat in your time while NCL has declined a bit and RCL has gone well downhill in food and service while exhausting their funds on beautiful ships.

What will Carnival shareholders think?

Chart the financial condition of the lines you've sailed since 01. Not the stock prices, the financial condition over that 8 year period.

If the economy doesn't climb out of the toilet in 09, some line will not be around in 2010. Carnival will be.

Dan

Dan,

Actually I would say that Carnival has gone down hill since we began cruising in 2001, from my experience and most of it stems from the overall customer service aspect, both dealing with corporate and with the service delivery people on the ship. RCL and Princess (I know under the Carnival Umbrella) do a much better job. IMHO. My one NCL experience was similar to that of Carnival and one of the reasons I have not been back. My expectations are really not that high, but after 14 cruises I know what is good and what is bad. Carnival could and should take a look inward or maybe not if the bottom line is all that really matters.

Carnival will probably outlive all of the other cruise lines, but then again according to scientists, Cockroaches will probably outlive the Human Race, not something to cheer about. :)

Dan,

Actually I would say that Carnival has gone down hill since we began cruising in 2001, from my experience and most of it stems from the overall customer service aspect, both dealing with corporate and with the service delivery people on the ship. RCL and Princess (I know under the Carnival Umbrella) do a much better job. IMHO. My one NCL experience was similar to that of Carnival and one of the reasons I have not been back. My expectations are really not that high, but after 14 cruises I know what is good and what is bad. Carnival could and should take a look inward or maybe not if the bottom line is all that really matters.

Carnival will probably outlive all of the other cruise lines, but then again according to scientists, Cockroaches will probably outlive the Human Race, not something to cheer about. :)

Come on, I'm diamond on RCL as well as Platinum on Carnival. The service is essentially the same on both lines. Like 96 to 95 in favor of RCL. Food in the buffet like 95 to 93 in favor of RCL. Choices, in the buffet, 99 to 90 in Carnival's favor. Food in the dining room 97 to 80 in Carnival's favor. Supper club 99 to 85 in Carnivals favor. In fact RCL does not have a piece of beef in its fleet fit for human consumption. Carnival's beef is only tolerable except for the supper club steaks which are excellent.

Ships are 100 to 90 in RCL's favor, but at a terrible debt load.

But it is the dining room on RCL that went way down and still has not come back. You are on the RCL boards, they know it and bitch about it plenty.

And the demographics of each line are all but the same, yet the pax on Carnival are more fun. Except the English Pub on the Royal prom. My 2nd favorite bar on ships and the most fun one. Number one fav. is the Wheelhouse lounges on Princess. Not as much fun as the Pub on RCL but the most relaxing place to have a toddy.

Dan

I would concentrate on them not going to Panama instead if you write Carnival again, which to me is a legitamate issue. Just my viewpoint.

In particular, I would concentrate on the fact that the cost of the Western Caribbean cruises are not as high as the Panama cruises.

But it is the dining room on RCL that went way down and still has not come back. You are on the RCL boards, they know it and bitch about it plenty.

Dan

Again, my friend, your experience is different than mine, doesn't mean I enjoy the same things you do. You refer to me being on the RCL boards, am I getting that right, 'cause I don't remember posting on RCL boards except for a Roll Call over a year ago, otherwise I don't spend much time over there, so I'm not sure what you are refering to. I enjoy RCL more than I enjoy Carnival, I believe they have a better overall product. IMHO Just like I enjoy shopping at other stores more than Walmart, but they do have some low prices and I must confess I do shop there. Not quite the same as a cruise, but you get the idea. :)

Dan,

RCL is not under the Carnival umbrella.

Bill

Bill

I think the poster put the part in ( ) next to Princess, meaning Princess was under the Carnival umbrella, even though they referred to both RCL and Princess in the sentence. Im sure they knew.

Bill

I knew when I posted that I should have clarified that I meant Princess only, but neglected to do so, forgive me for not making the gramarical correction or more correctly selecting the appropriate crusieline that I was refering to in that particular sentence.

Again, my friend, your experience is different than mine, doesn't mean I enjoy the same things you do. You refer to me being on the RCL boards, am I getting that right, 'cause I don't remember posting on RCL boards except for a Roll Call over a year ago, otherwise I don't spend much time over there, so I'm not sure what you are refering to. I enjoy RCL more than I enjoy Carnival, I believe they have a better overall product. IMHO Just like I enjoy shopping at other stores more than Walmart, but they do have some low prices and I must confess I do shop there. Not quite the same as a cruise, but you get the idea. :)

OK you don't post on the RCL board. Go there and lurk, you will see the complaints about food and service going downhill on RCL. And RCL has a cash crunch so they would be the cut back company. But if their beautiful ships , and they are, make you think you're having a better time. That's your business.

I cruise to enjoy myself. That is my intent when I book and remains so thru the end of the cruise. Name on the ship? Meaningless!

I do not shop, I go to a store to acquire some product. Needless Markup, Walmart, Sam's, Sax, whoever, what the store looks like matters not. Organized so I can find what I want. Priced at what I think its worth and I'm gone.

Name on the building? Meaningless!

Our cruises? ITINERARY, first and foremost.

Same itinerary, lowest price, we book. Name on the ship? Meaningless!

Only ship with the itinerary we want, price we can live with, we book. Name on the ship? You know!

Dan

You don't seem to understand that many did NOT get notified. You are assuming everyone knew and chose to go. That is NOT fact. MANY MANY were not notified either until checking into the terminal or ON the ship later that day or the next. Late checkins (after 1pm) were NOT given a change of itinerary sheet that we got standing in line to board.

I had a good time but i've also been to the same ports 4 times now.... thats why i chose a different itinerary. If it had been weather, or something OUT of Carnivals control, i don't think the people who are 'discussing' this, would be. I live in Florida. I'm used to weather changing EVERYTHING at the last minute. No big deal. But this time, Carnival WAS wrong in their lack of communication and customer service. And as a professional who deals with clients on a daily basis, i would NEVER ruin my business reputation by doing all i could to solve a problem.

Now I will say, there were some very nasty, rude, people on the cruise and they went WAY overboard on complaining and making everyone else miserable. I had a great time. I made great friends. BUT don't judge someone else til you know the facts and are walking in their shoes. If i was on a cruise to Alaska and ended up in Key West, you bet i'd be pissed! *G*

Kaki

no you were wrong for not paying attn to the ample notice given

• 2 weeks later...
Look' date=' we all are disappointed when our itinerary is changed. We know this can happen but hope it doesn't. Complaining, ranting, threatning serves no purpose. Nothing can be done about it....simply a fact of life when you step onto a ship. It is really up to each of us to make sure we read and understand all the information concerning our cruise, the ship, all policies that might affect us. When it happens, accept that it's a done deal...and go on with modifying any plans you may need to change.[/quote']

I am not ranting or complaining but trying to obtain accurate information about a very important topic: my MUCH NEEDED VACATION :-). My group will still have a great time on our cruise, but we did book our cruise primarily for the itinerary and would have made other plans if the false advertising had not occurred. My issue with the itinerary change is that Carnival booked our cruise and accepted payment in October 2008 for my January 2009 cruise when the company was apparently aware that the advertised itinerary was not possible due to known mechanical problems. If anyone has their dated letter from Carnival regarding the Miracle problems that was received last summer can you please post it? THANKS

I have cruised before, and it is you that doesn't get it. Just because you think they are good ports, doesn 't mean that I want to go there. I am a retired attorney. While Carnival can change ports when necessary, they must act reasonably. Yes there contract says they can change ports, but they also advertise ports. You rely on those ports. They tell you how great each port is. They tell you to pick excursions and they take your money for them. The have pictures of where you will go on your trip and even videos of them. The customer has a right to rely on them. Carnival cannot say you are going to Panama and but you might not go to Panama for any reason we want. Those are contradictory statements and must be interpreted reasonable. That means they cannot just change for no reason and they should notify their passengers.

I planned this trip for a long time. It is really irritating to hear someone say "they are good ports". I don't think they are good ports. I have been to those ports. What you think is totally irrelevant when I am paying the bill.

I agree, JDNAPLES. Isn't this false advertising for Carnival to advertise one itinerary if they know they cannot, or are not likely to be capable of, delivering that specific itinerary? I am not talking about the itinerary changes that were announced a few days before embarkation. In my specific situation I booked my Jan09 cruise in Sep08; there is evidence that Carnival knew the Miracle could not make this itinerary in Jul08 but they did not announce the switch for my cruise until Dec08. And although the ports do seem good, they are not comparably exotic like Panama and Costa Rica. I'm not insinuating I am planning to take legal action or anything, I just do not think Carnival handled this situation well before or after the decision was made to change the itinerary. And the compensation of $50 OBC/ cabin they offered was simply insulting.

Archived