Carseat Required?

Cruise_Couple

Going from Miami cruise terminal to Miami airport... If we use a hired van or cab do we need to have car seats for our 5 year old twin daughters? What does the law really say? I read it as seat belts are permissible for 5 yr olds and a car seat is not required but I need to be sure so I do not get stuck at the cruise terminal. I posted on the RCCL board but can't seem to get a definitive answer.

All children age 5 and under must be restrained, but only children age 3 and under must be in a separate car seat. A seat belt is an acceptable restraint for a child age 4 and 5 in FL.

Here's the wording of the law:

(1)(a) Every operator of a motor vehicle as defined herein, while transporting a child in a motor vehicle operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall, if the child is 5 years of age or younger, provide for protection of the child by properly using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device. For children aged through 3 years, such restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a seat belt may be used.

. . . and here's the link

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC613.HTM&Title=-%3E2004-%3ECh0316-%3ESection%20613#0316.613

• 2 weeks later...

It may be possible to arrange transportation with an airport limo company that will provide a booster seat. We always travelled with a carseat but now that our youngest (5yrs old) only requires a booster we don't take it with us if we won't need it while on holiday (on a cruise, for example). We have arranged for a limo with a booster to fly out of the Toronto airport and to be picked up at Vancouver airport, New York's LaGuardia and this past week at Chicago's O'Hare.

Archived