Cabbies not honoring the Touist Zone rates?

Darkwolfe

I've got a group of four heading to San Juan in a couple of weeks. Recently another CC member (who I won't name, but is welcome to join this thread) posted that the cabbies were not honoring the flat rates between the tourist zones in Old San Juan. Specifically that they were refusing to go to the Pan Am port at the posted rates.

I've done a little research with the PR Tourism company and they provided a link to their "Resource Site" at www.travelandsports.com. That's all well and good as you can get all the contact info for the cab companies there. However, I want to know if this is becoming a pattern in the tourist zones or just an isolated incident. Anyone else run into this? Maybe our Puerto Rican CC memebers can weigh in on this as well.

Thanks ahead of time!

I've got a group of four heading to San Juan in a couple of weeks. Recently another CC member (who I won't name, but is welcome to join this thread) posted that the cabbies were not honoring the flat rates between the tourist zones in Old San Juan. Specifically that they were refusing to go to the Pan Am port at the posted rates.

I've done a little research with the PR Tourism company and they provided a link to their "Resource Site" at www.travelandsports.com. That's all well and good as you can get all the contact info for the cab companies there. However, I want to know if this is becoming a pattern in the tourist zones or just an isolated incident. Anyone else run into this? Maybe our Puerto Rican CC memebers can weigh in on this as well.

Thanks ahead of time!

I checked that site.... I could not find the official tourist area taxi site. The official taxi site for the SJ area is: http://www.cabspr.com/ but add the $1.50 gas rate to each fare.

Here is my rate chart with the $1.50 added:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-taxi/

The cabs "have-to" honor the rate posted. From the airport, the taxi person at the airport will give you a slip of paper with the charge. Or ask your hotel concierge the rate. There should be no dispute. If you feel the taxi didn't charge the correct amount, get their name and cab number and report them. They can lose their license/livelihood, I don't know if they would risk it.

I don't remember the CC post with the "not honoring" posted rates, but maybe they assumed the wrong rate....I would like to hear from them and see if there was a problem. There is a charge for luggage that one has to add on top of the posted rate....

I have emailed the email address at cabspr.com a few times and they always replied.... I am sure if there is any doubt, you can contact them for the real quote and what to do if there is a problem.

Personally, I think that must have been an isolated incident and then possibly at the height of the recent oil price highs.

The tourist zone rates are complete rip-offs in my opinion so cabies are super glad to be able to legally charge those. I can't think of any situation other than a misunderstanding leading to a cabbie refusing tourist zone rates...

FWIW, I live in SJ and move exclusively by taxi (not having to drive and cruises are my two luxuries).

Good to know. Thanks for that info.

I gotta tell you though, if you think the tourist rates are rips, you'd scream at the rates you get charged on the mainland. A couple of 20 minute cab trips in most cities here will just about pay for a rental car for two days! So the flat rates in the zones sound real cheap to me.

Can't say I blame you for enjoying those luxuries at all. :)

This is not a slam on the cabbies in San Juan, but more of an observation. We have sailed out of San Juan a few times and have never had a problem. From the airport its a no brainer you tell them where you are going they fill out a piece of paper ands thats the charge, plus a tip. Its the other trips I have noticed they seem to make it up as to what they think they can get out of you. We have left the same hotel twice to the pier and get different answer and once we questioned and it was funny it was like we were bidding, we came to a price, a few bucks is no big deal to me I'm sure they need it, its just struck me as funny.

Thanks ahead of time!

Me??

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=891626&page=2

I would probably walk if it happened again. Cabbies are not known for ethics.

Ok...

Being Monday I had a chance to talk to my regular cabbie. I told her about the situation and she told me that - yes - there have recently been issues with the zone rate from the hotels to (specifically!!!) the Panam pier because there have been ocasional problems "at crunch time". Plus, there were a couple of accidents recently which seemed to have almost shut the place down (two lane road thing).

It seems that during some of those episodes, cabbies have been stuck there for over three hours between taking someone over until getting back to the hotel they left. That, of course, is not worth even the high zone rates.

So, I suppose, the zone rate refusal (in this specific instance) makes some sense. You learn something new every day I guess...

I was all set to walk my way off that pier if the way out was going to be as bad as getting in. All said and done, I hit a slot and the cruise cost me nothing. Just hate getting lied to, it happens at work all the time, so while on vacation its really bothersome.

Archived