First time in Grand Caymans - Young Children - Recs?

awaldo

We have cruised several times, but have never been to the Grand Caymans. We will be there in February on the FOS. There are 10 of us - 2 grandparents, two families (4 adults) and 4 kids, from 5 to 5 months. What kind of things should we look to do? Just head to a beach? Activities? Any ideas and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

It doesn't do us any good when you reply to our own posts doof. We need to get together and figure out what we're doing - I was hoping someone here (besides you) would give some guidance, but alas, it appears not. BTW - jakesmommy is another in our own party...in case anyone else reads this.

Besides - I thought you wanted to go to Boatswains Beach. Is it the Turtle Farm now?

Boatswains Beach is the new name for the Turtle Farm...

http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/

Looking at your party makeup, I'd say you'd be better off hitting either the turtle farm or the beach this trip...or both. Or maybe a tour that includes the butterfly farm or the botanical gardens (they have an iguana habitat) if the group is into nature at all.

http://www.thebutterflyfarm.com/

http://www.botanic-park.ky/index.html

The kids are likely a bit young to get the most out of Stingray City (the island's "big" attraction) at present, so I'd save that for the next trip, unless you want to split the party up. Skip Hell...the kids won't care, since it's really a bunch of rocks and a lot of bad puns. :D

Thanks Bookbabe - I was afraid all I'd get here were my sister's remarks...

Have you been to Boatswains? I looks nice online. Just not sure if what you see is what you get. Unfortunately, and I hope we're wrong, but it appears the Western Carib itineraries are less "toddler friendly" than the southern or bahamas, if that is possible.

Our kids love the beach, they've mostly all been there several times, with the exception of our 6 month old, who hasn't, obviously, cruised yet. I'm just afraid of too much beach for them, if that is possible!

Have you been to Boatswains? I looks nice online. Just not sure if what you see is what you get.

Unfortunately, I haven't been since they changed over to their new digs. Reviews here on CC have been mixed. Some people really enjoyed it, some felt it was overrated. When I went to the old turtle farm, I really enjoyed it, though.

As far as I've heard, the turtle farm portion of the attraction hasn't changed much. That's the part I think the kids would get the biggest kick out of, anyway...you can pet and even hold turtles (and snack on turtle in the restaurant later, but you may not want to mention that part to the kids). You can get a separate "turtles only" pass, which is cheaper and might be better.

You could either book a tour that includes the turtle farm, if you can find one with other attractions that the kids might like (butterfly farm maybe?) or you could just take a taxi there on your own. The taxis are usually mini-vans, so likely your whole party could fit in one, and you'd probably be able to negotiate a bit cheaper of a rate since they wouldn't have to wait to fill the van or travel half empty. Taxis are likely easy to find there for the return trip, and you could get them to drop you off at the beach (I'd suggest either the Royal Palms or Sea Grape sections of Seven Mile Beach) on the way back if time permitted.

That's just my opinion, though...other people's mileage may vary... ;)

We were at the turtle farm(Boatswains beach) on Dec 18th. I think it is very overrated. My girls are 11 and 5 and though they did enjoy it, it was rather boring for us adults. It is not really a beach, but they do have a sandy area where you can snorkel. There is also a pool you can swim in. They give you a tour of the turtles at first, then they leave you to explore. I think my girls liked the aviary the best. Way too expensive in my opinion. Here are a few pics, good luck.

sarvac082020.jpg[/img]

sarvac082025.jpg[/img]

sarvac082037.jpg[/img]

sarvac082050.jpg[/img]

sarvac082043.jpg[/img]

sarvac082018.jpg[/img]

We really enjoyed it when it was The Turtle Farm. I guess our expectations were realistic. We just wanted something interesting to see. My sons enjoyed the gift shop a lot and being able to pick out a few things there and were glad we saw & held the turtles.

If you go with the expectation of it being a quaint conservatory of turtles, then you'll be glad you did it.

Make sure you go to Hell. It's not much, (again - quaint), but the kids get a little laugh out of all the Hell jokes.

After these two things, go to the beach. Bring some blow-up floats from Wal-Mart if you want (usually $3 a piece and flat-great for packing) and then leave them behind for someone else to enjoy when you're ready to head back to the ship. :)

Now I think maybe we've settled on a Beach Day. Grand Cayman Beach Club looks to be nice. We figure we're essentially on "borrowed time". We have not had problems before with the baby, but we are also cognizant of the fact that being out of her normal routine could make things hard at times, so like to be flexible should we need to return to the ship for some down time. Unscheduled beach time works best for that. Plus, when we gave our 4YO the choice between turtles and the beach, she was 100% ready for the beach!

I do appreciate all the input and would love to hear more opinions for the sake of other readers!

You might want to pick up a bag of beach toys for your 4 yr. old. - things like a bucket, shovel, sand molds, etc. There are plenty of places right by the pier that sell them.

Also, make sure you have someone up early to get tender tickets for the whole group. Tendering does take awhile.

Whatever you do, don't pay for a beach excursion via the cruise ship, or even with a private tour company.

Beaches are free in Cayman, and you can take a $4-6 per person taxi ride to either Royal Palms or Sea Grape (sections of Seven Mile Beach) and use the beach and their facilities (showers & restrooms) for free all day. Both locations also have watersports/chair/umbrella rentals and a restaurant/bar for food and drink purchases. The only thing that the two locations don't have is a pool...but with the gorgeous beach right there, who needs one? :D

Archived