can 22" suitcase be carry-on?

wannuhcruise

A 22" suitcase shouldn't be a problem. Generally speaking, if you can bring it onboard an aircraft, you can carry it onto the ship. They use the same type of x-ray machines that are used by the airports when you go through security. If your bag can fit through those machines, you are all set.

I've sailed RCCL and Princess and have taken similar 22" suitcases onboard myself without any problems.

That's my carry on and I've only noticed a problem with the smaller than 757 aircraft (MD80's, etc) where it will fit but not wheel in first. On A300 it also doesn't fit on the window side overhead bins so I switch to the interior ones.

As long as you don't expand the case, it should be fine.

But....be aware that airlines can and will take cases and gate check them if they deem them too large or there is no more overhead space left.

It looks like the luggageonline.com site has the best price.

Good point by Happy_ks. I've found (on American anyway) that if I booked a seat in the back of the plane, I'd be in Group 1 (sometimes 2) which helped in finding overhead space. That, of course, means deplaning last which might be a problem if you are taking tight connecting flights.

every airline has different sizes for carryons....southwest permits up to 24 inches.....but most will allow 21 or 22...

So, it would be wise to check with your individual airline :)

I've never flown Southwest, 24 inch cases are so much larger than 22 inch cases. They are 2 inches wider as well. Are the overhead compartments that much larger than most other airlines? I know a 22 inch typically won't slide in lengthwise, it's many times too long, depending on the plane.

I sell luggage part time, so this is a skosh more interesting to me than the vast majority of other people :rolleyes:

OK, I think I've answered my own question. I checked several brands of luggage we carry and most of our 24" cases would be too large, even for Southwest. Their (Southwest) max measurements are 10X16X24, even though we have many 24" cases, they are wider and deeper than these measurements.

So, take a tape measure before you purchase luggage! We sell a lot of 24 inch cases now, with the weight restrictions many people are forcing themselves to pack lighter. We also sell a whole lot of handheld luggage scales.

I agree. Always test pack and check both weight and dimensions before the day you leave. Never assume you can repack easily the day of your trip. Many times you can redistribute across bags. You just don't want to be left missing something vital if a single bag is lost in transit.

SW may say 24" carry ons. But they fly 737's. The overheads DO NOT allow a 24" suitcase to go in wheels first. IF there is enough room, you could slide it in sideways. But then you are taking up someone else's space. Please don't be selfish just to save the checked bag fee. Other people need space too.

And with the flights I did last week (3 complete flights, NOT segments) the amount of JUNK people are carrying on to save the checked bag fee is unbelievable. I have never seen so much JUNK. One lady with a stroller (no kids that I could see) piled high with bags, boxes and shopping bags. She must have had 7 or 8 separate "bags". I was just about to say something, but flight traffic was a true nightmare last week and it was Xmas. This curmudgeon WILL NOT be so forgiving this week (when I fly again on Friday). TOO MUCH JUNK!!! Leave it at home or pay the fee. And I see one more person with lace up/zip up high top boots trying to balance on everyone around to get them off for TSA inspection, I am going to SCREAM. Get some flip flops or loafers to wear in the airport. I'm off my soapbox.

To answer the OP-22" fit fine in MOST planes. As someone mentioned, 757/MD-80's DO NOT fit 22" suitcases wheels in. Mine won't even fit sideways unzipped. Thank goodness I fly first class on most domestic flights and the FA put it in the closet. Otherwise, it gets gate checked.

22" do fit in 757 overhead bins wheel in. I fly those and A300 between SJU-MIA all the time. It gets dicy when people insist on stuffing the front pockets with all sort of extra stuff and the 22" pieces look as if pregnant...

ONLY for planes that have the NEW overheads. The original ones do not fit 22" suitcases wheels in. Don't know what airline you fly, but I fly AA/LAN/Cathay over 100,000 miles per year. The older AA 757's and MD-80's DO NOT fit a 22" case wheels in, UNLESS they have been retrofitted. You can tell the difference because the outside edge of the overheads are almost vertical with the outside edge of the aisle seat on the new overheads. A300-a whole other ballgame. YMMV

I use a favorite roller from LL Bean (unfortunately they no longer make but a similar bag is on sale as a set).

It is 22H x 14W x 9D and has been all over. I only remember an issue on I believe a AA flight where it only fit sideways and I was traveling business class.

I was looking at the specs and it is 9lbs 4 oz so more concerned about the carry on weight limits (with LAN intra country).

ONLY for planes that have the NEW overheads. The original ones do not fit 22" suitcases wheels in. Don't know what airline you fly, but I fly AA/LAN/Cathay over 100,000 miles per year. The older AA 757's and MD-80's DO NOT fit a 22" case wheels in, UNLESS they have been retrofitted. You can tell the difference because the outside edge of the overheads are almost vertical with the outside edge of the aisle seat on the new overheads. A300-a whole other ballgame. YMMV

greatam my 22" fits wheels in on all the AA 757s I've flown and also on the 3 seat side of MD80s (definitely won't fit wheels in on the 2 seat side).

Be sure to check with each airline as to what they allow. They all seem to have different requirements. I flew to Europe on American buisness class thru London. Had to change planes in London and got on British Airways. Their requirements were much different than American and my carryon was taken away from me quicker than I could blink. I did notice that the airports in Europe seem to check the carryons much more closely than in the States. (at least where I have traveled) Every airport I was at made me put my carryon into the sizer thingy by the gate before they would let me on. Only on British did I have any problems.

Hi all,

I need to get a new suitcase before our cruise and I'd like to go w/ a carry-on. Will a 22" be small enough to be considered carry-on size? This is what I'm thinking of getting...

http://www.jansport.com/js_product_detail.php?cid=&pid=TKA5

Thanks!

While I have not seen anyone measuring carry on luggage in general 45 liner inches is the maximum size that is allowable as a carry on. The piece of luggage you are looking at is 46 liner inches.

Shak

greatam my 22" fits wheels in on all the AA 757s I've flown and also on the 3 seat side of MD80s (definitely won't fit wheels in on the 2 seat side).

1/4 to 1/3 of the 757's and about 1/4 of the MD80's have not been retrofitted. Whether they ever will be, who knows. They are used on a lot of the Chicago/NYC short haul/shuttle flights (or at least it sure seems that way to me). Truly the luck of the draw on those particular planes whether your 22" fits wheels in.

Archived