Changing Cruises after Final Payment

ILOVEMEXICO

Just wondering if Princess allows you to change a cruise once you have made final payment; change ship and dates but for same value or more?

No they don't. After final payment date you are into the penalty phase and would have to pay the cancellation fee to switch dates or ships.

I have done it for a client but there were mitigating circumstances which would not have been covered by insurance.

It was not easy, took me several weeks to accomplish and the new cabins were 50% more than the original booking.

If it is just a matter of changing one's mind, air is too much.......forget it. They won't do it.

I had to fax all sorts of backup information before they'd even talk to me.

I can speak from sad experience that they do not allow you to switch without applying whatever cancellation penalty there is (ALWAYS buy the insurance!). I just had to cancel my upcoming New Year's cruise [pause for uncontrollable weeping and rending of garments] and even though that cruise had/has a waitlist plus I had another, more expensive, cruise all picked out to substitute, they still treated it as a cancellation, deducting the cancel fee, and then a whole new booking, i.e. two separate transactions.

The recommendation to purchase insurance is an excellent one. I once had to cancel a cruise at the last minute for an uninsurable reason. I gave Princess the courtesy of notifying them, and since they were overbooked they were quite happy. Not happy enough to even give me Captain's Circle credit for the cruise that I paid for in full. But very happy nonetheless. I'm amazed that ocn was able to get anything for a client.

The only time we've had a change of cruises after final payment was with a "move-over" offer. Princess called and offered us a good deal to take another cruise so they could accomodate another passenger for the cruise we were booked on. That deal had no penalties involved as it was an offer initiated by Princess.

I don't know if one can volunteer for that sort of thing...

We always buy travel insurance available through Princess (with auto upgrade for Platinum Captain's Circle) to cover any other possibility.

Archived