Dune Buggy questions

john&ellen

Thank you,

How can we go about renting one? Can it be done in advance? Is tere a web site or something where we may look at prices?

I think you just walk off the ship and they are around the area, near the golf cart rentals, from what I have heard. I don't think you can pre-book, but I also don't think you would need to. However, I am just talking on stuff that I have read on various boards....Good Luck! Look for my review after Dec 12th and I will find out more!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We took the tour last year. It was a blast. We did book through the cruise ship. It was bumpy and dusty. I thought more dusty than bumpy. When we got the beach we were definitely ready for water! ! ! The ride back is not as bumpy as you take a paved road part of the way.

The dune buggies are open with a roll bar. There is a guide in the front and you all follow behind (the last one in line gets ALL the dust!) You are the driver. We had 3 in our buggy and they did not add anyone. When my son and DIL went they put them in a buggy with another couple.

Guest Crazeecat5

My cousins and I are thinking about the ship's dune buggy excursion. Are there any sights to see along the road? How is the beach they take you to? Are the buggys difficult to get in and out of? I have bad knees.

Thanks all,

Sheryl

I just did this trip last Wednesday, we booked it through carnival. The dune buggy's hold 4 people and are all stick shift. There are no doors so you have to climb in and out of them like the Dukes of hazzard. If there are only 2 of you, they will make you go with 2 others. There is a guide in the front and a guide bringing up the back. You drive down this dirt/sand road with huge potholes. We drove for about a 1/2 hour then stopped at a beach for about 15-20 minutes. Then we drove for a long time, like an hour or so to another beach. They had nachos and cheese and soda and water that was included in the package. There is not mucht to see except for trees pretty much on both sides. On the way back, they take you down the bumpy road but only for about 15 minutes, they you get back on a real road with cars and head back to the port. Thats about it. It was fun, I did enjoy it and the beach was really nice.

I just did this trip last Wednesday, we booked it through carnival. The dune buggy's hold 4 people and are all stick shift. There are no doors so you have to climb in and out of them like the Dukes of hazzard. If there are only 2 of you, they will make you go with 2 others. There is a guide in the front and a guide bringing up the back. You drive down this dirt/sand road with huge potholes. We drove for about a 1/2 hour then stopped at a beach for about 15-20 minutes. Then we drove for a long time, like an hour or so to another beach. They had nachos and cheese and soda and water that was included in the package. There is not mucht to see except for trees pretty much on both sides. On the way back, they take you down the bumpy road but only for about 15 minutes, they you get back on a real road with cars and head back to the port. Thats about it. It was fun, I did enjoy it and the beach was really nice.

When you say you had fun...what was fun? I guess I was hoping the buggies would be fun to drive, and that there would be nice scenery for those that didn't get to drive...would you recommend this excursion? Anyone else done this?

It was fun because we had 10 people go. We tried to run eachother off the road and would pull up next to the other cars and throw water at them with our water bottles. I guess its what you make of it. If it is just 2 of you and you don't get to drive then it would be boring especially sitting in a car with 2 others you don't know.

Yeah, I agree. After reading Purplecorvette's post, I'm not sure what part of this tour is supposed to be fun. ??? It sounds boring and miserable and not at all like what I expected. :confused:

Purplecorvette - What part did you enjoy? What was the beach like and how long were you there? Was the fishing village neat to drive through?

We did this tour and thought it was a waste of money. It was very bumpy in parts, the seats were uncomfortable and the scenary was very poverty stricken. The beach was only OK, we had been to better beaches in the area and was very disappointed.

We did this tour and thought it was a waste of money. It was very bumpy in parts, the seats were uncomfortable and the scenary was very poverty stricken. The beach was only OK, we had been to better beaches in the area and was very disappointed.

My husband thinks it will be fun to drive the buggy...are you saying that wasn't fun either? What other excursions in Costa Maya did other people do, and did you hear anything good/bad about those?

Here's a description of Princess' Dune Buggy Tour for anyone that's interested:

Dune Buggy & Beach

Take the wheel of a dune buggy and explore the pristine coastline of Costa Maya on an

adventure that travels to a beautiful, secluded beach.

At the pier, receive an orientation and safety briefing before boarding your customized dune buggy. Then set off in a caravan for the small fishing village of Majahual. You leave civilization behind after Majahual, traveling a rough road to beautiful Pelicano’s Beach. There, enjoy ample time to swim, kayak, beach comb or just relax in a hammock. Complimentary soft drinks, salsa and chips are served during your stay. After you visit, board your dune buggy for the return to ship.

SPECIAL NOTES

The tour is sold by the dune buggy. Each dune buggy accommodates up to 4 passengers.

Drivers must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver's license. Not recommended

for passengers suffering from back, neck or respiratory ailments. Wear a swimsuit and bring

a towel and adequate sun protection.

MH1-J

Sep 30, 2004 -

May 15, 2005

Approximately 3.5 Hours

Adult: $289 Per Dune Buggy

Child: $289

Substantial level of activity; Beach and water-related tours; Includes snack

I'm beginning to wonder if we should find an alternative tour. We were ALL so looking forward to doing this! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Casey12 - Sorry you didn't care for this trip. Our group loved it! We drove to the fishing village and made a short stop, then on to the beach. The trip was dusty and bumpy but we were prepared for that. We enjoyed the beach. The water was great! The kids did try to snorkle here and gave it up shortly. On the way back we drove through an Indian village where the children were handing flowers out (and accepting anything anyone would give them $$).

Casey12 - Sorry you didn't care for this trip. Our group loved it! We drove to the fishing village and made a short stop, then on to the beach. The trip was dusty and bumpy but we were prepared for that. We enjoyed the beach. The water was great! The kids did try to snorkle here and gave it up shortly. On the way back we drove through an Indian village where the children were handing flowers out (and accepting anything anyone would give them $$).

Your earlier post said there were snacks provided, but Carnival's site mentions only soft drinks....I am thinking if there are no snacks we will be Starving from 10:30 until 2 pm....do they provide them even though it is not mentioned?

We went on this tour a year ago, and we had a blast, just my husband and I. We had met a middle-aged lady and her older mother at lunch that day, and we shared a buddy with them. The beach is Pelican beach, and it is beautiful. They have fairly nice restrooms (a must for me), snacks including soft drinks and nachos, hammocks, floating mats, and a volleyball net. I guess it all depends on your idea of fun. We are pretty sedentary people in our mid 30's, and we thought it was fun to bounce around in the dune buggy trying to avoid the dips in the road. It's nice to get out away from the city and into the jungle, seeing the real Mexico. Our only regret is that we didn't have enough time at the beach. We are planning to do this excursion again in a month.

Our family just did this excursion through RCCL. We all loved it. Our only problem was on the way out we got behind somebody who just wouldn't drive fast and my husband and kids wanted to go fast!! Nice Beach the tour guides chopped coconuts and everyone was given the opportunity to eat and drink them. We did happen to see some type of monkey on the drive out. WE also had drinks and snacks and spent about an hour - hour and a half at the beach.

Can you tell me more about the RCCL excusrion? How long was it? Were you able to plan anything else while you were there? I know we are there late the day we arrive. Is it the one listed for $89 on RCCL website?

Thanks!!

Dawn

Archived