Dune Buggy questions

john&ellen

Can you tell me more about the RCCL excusrion? How long was it? Were you able to plan anything else while you were there? I know we are there late the day we arrive. Is it the one listed for $89 on RCCL website?

Thanks!!

Dawn

Dawn,

The excursion is about 3 1'2 - 4 hours. We met at the front of the International Shopping Plaza around 11:45 and the excursion was booked full. There are four people to a dune buggy so if it is just two of you they will pair your with another couple. We pulled out and drove for about 15 - 20 minutes and stopped in Majahal (I know I'm not spelling this correctly) it is the small fishing village we stayed here for about 15 minutes. We then drove for about 45 minutes in the dune buggy's. The only down side is it is a little dusty driving out even with sunglasses - take some eye drops. When you get to the beach you have about and hour to an hour and a half to relax. They have nachos and cheese as well as drinks. When you return you go a different route and they take you through a poor village. On the return trip you are on more paved roads and can travel a little faster. Our guides were really great and my family loved doing this. I went onto RCCL and under Costa Maya this is the Dune Buggy Jungle and Beach Safari. It is $82.00 a person. Just make sure you take your drivers license. We loved this - If you have any more questions let me know!! We arrived back and were on the ship by about 4:15! Also if this is something that you definitely want to do I would either book online before you go or book as soon as the excursion desk opens up !!

• 5 weeks later...

We took this tour on Monday, 4/4/05. We had a group of 16 people, but only 4 of us knew how to drive a stick--my husband and I, and my sister-in-law and her husband. So we drove and divided everyone else up into our cars. The road is very bumpy, but not so bad that you would bounce out of the car (as we were concerned our 5-year-old might do). The back seat kept sliding off into the floor, though, much to its occupants' aggravation. We went through Mahahual, but we didn't stop like we had done before and like the tour guide had told us we were going to. We had to take a detour because part of the road was blocked off, so I guess that was blocking the place where were were supposed to stop. But that just left more time for the beach.

On the way, my gas pedal broke and went straight to the floor, so everyone passed us until the last buggy carrying a couple of tour guides came up. We got out and waited around for about 15 minutes while they fixed it. They were prepared with tools and parts and everything--we were impressed! They said it happens all the time. :eek: Once they got us going again, they told us to follow them, and they went fast! I was trying to keep up, and driving faster just made it more fun, even though my passengers were a little concerned about taking the curves so fast. ;)

Once we got to the beach, we had a blast playing volleyball and relaxing in the hammocks. They do serve tortilla chips and nacho cheese, as well as Coke, Diet Coke (or Coke Light as it's called there), Sprite, and several apple and orange soda varieties. If you are going during lunch time, I would recommend taking along some sort of packaged snack from the ship, or pack some when leaving home just for the purpose, as I don't think nachos would be a suitable lunch.

They have decent restrooms there, and a large covered pavilion with tables and chairs. The beach there is absolutely beautiful, unspoiled and remote.

We drove back on a highway and went through a small, poor Mayan village. Our kids (aged 5 and 9) looked at the kids alongside the road with wide-eyed interest. We had a little talk with them later about how those children lived and how thankful we should be.

The tour guides give a speech before leaving the beach telling how grateful they are for gratuities. So expect to fork over a tip if you enjoy the tour. We don't mind.

It's a great tour, and I would recommend it highly, if you don't mind paying the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Great tour to do. Alot of fun and you get to see some great beaches and countryside. Our guide took us through a jungle/bush to a small village where there are small children alot of poverty- I suggest bringing candy and/or small bills to give these people. We had someone in our group buy a flower for $20- she had no small bills. Your heart just goes out to these people. Someone told us that the village pools all the money from the tourists and get what they need as a community. I'm not sure re the validity of this but do bring something with you. You also drive through the nearby fishing village to the pier. The beach swim washes it all off. The beach they take you to is great for body surfing. Some of you are asking if it's bumpy- that depends on your driving and how fast you want to drive over pot holes and speed bumps. Great tour but very dusty.

Sunsprite

Archived