Few Questions Regarding Sun Princess

MMJK

Hey,

We are aboard the Sun Princess in September of 09 to Hawaii and back for 35 nights.

Firstly onboard the atmosphere is it more relaxed resort like? the reason i ask is the only cruising that has been done by us has been on Cunard so obviously it is very stuffy enviroment sometimes on the Queens.

Secondly the Autotip on the onboard account i do have a issue with this as it works out to be a substancial amount of money at the end of the cruise, is it better to have it removed and give individually ?

Also we are in a Inside cabin a steal at approx 55-60% discount of the actual price , is anybody aware of any issues with these inside cabins does anybody have any actual pictures, i can't imagine to much time will be spent in there just hoping that we are not in a kennel enviroment.

Any answers to any questions guys would be grealty appeciated

cheers

Mark :)

Hey,

We are aboard the Sun Princess in September of 09 to Hawaii and back for 35 nights.

Firstly onboard the atmosphere is it more relaxed resort like? the reason i ask is the only cruising that has been done by us has been on Cunard so obviously it is very stuffy enviroment sometimes on the Queens.

Secondly the Autotip on the onboard account i do have a issue with this as it works out to be a substancial amount of money at the end of the cruise, is it better to have it removed and give individually ?

Also we are in a Inside cabin a steal at approx 55-60% discount of the actual price , is anybody aware of any issues with these inside cabins does anybody have any actual pictures, i can't imagine to much time will be spent in there just hoping that we are not in a kennel enviroment.

Any answers to any questions guys would be grealty appeciated

cheers

Mark :)

Hi Mark,

Welcome to CC.

We have not cruised on Cunard, but can say with certainty that Sun Princess will be more relaxed.

Tipping is an individual thing.

Sun Princess autotips are not compulsory, and can be removed or reduced at your discretion by visiting the pursers. Princozz subsidises any shortfall in the autotipping pool, so if reducing the autotip, any tips you hand out personally are obliged to be handed back to the pool by the staff that receive them. They only get to keep personal tips over & above the autotips.

Except for the minis and suites, all Sun Princess cabins are compact. They are small, but well laid out. There was some photos posted to a recent thread a few days ago.

Hi Mark,

We were recently on the Sun Princess in a balcony cabin, but we have cruised in inside cabins on other ships. A balcony is a lot better, but we often go for an inside cabin so we can get two cruises for the price of one! We have had no problems whatsoever with an inside cabin. They are well-designed and do not feel like a kennel.

Cabins on the Sun Princess are quite small, even smaller than on the Pacific Sun. People I spoke to on the ship were very happy with them. Inside cabins are set up with the bed head against the far wall when you walk in, and if you have the bed made as a queen size, it will mean that one of you will have to either crawl to the end of the bed to get out or get out over the other person. Could be fun! If you have the beds made as twins, the spare space is in the middle of the room and you both use that as 'stepping out of bed space'. The furniture is set out differently in the balcony cabins, with the bed sideways. Each person has 'step out of bed space' on their own side of the bed and there is a fairly narrow walkway past the end of the bed. Hope that makes sense. My suggestion is to have twin beds. You may not be thrilled with that idea - my husband wasn't either.

The atmosphere on the Sun Princess is not at all stuffy, after all the vast majority of the passengers are Aussies with a good number of NZers thrown in (all due respect to our NZ cousins). We found the atmosphere great and enjoyed meeting other passengers on our 28 night trip.

Tipping - This can be a hot topic and is an individual choice. Some people removed it totally and tipped independently, while others took the tip off for one of the couple and let it on the other. If you decide to take it off you will still get the usual excellent service that these ships are renowned for.

Have a fantastic cruise. You will be going to many of the ports we went to. If you follow my reviews on this forum you might get some tips on independent shore excursions. :):)

Evon.

Thanks for the reply so far much appeciated guys.

Also just another quick question when we were booking our cabin we opted for some type of other option where they don't assign a cabin now but does it later, i really am not to sure what this exaclty means after even reading it on princess.com i still couldnt fully understand what it means.

Any info or if it means a better chance of upgrade any info once again appreciated cheers

Mark

Thanks for the reply so far much appeciated guys.

Also just another quick question when we were booking our cabin we opted for some type of other option where they don't assign a cabin now but does it later, i really am not to sure what this exaclty means after even reading it on princess.com i still couldnt fully understand what it means.

Any info or if it means a better chance of upgrade any info once again appreciated cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

This is a guarantee booking, that guarantees you a cabin at the level you booked or above. Your level of upgrade will depend on the number of cabins sold at this level or below - but booking his far ahead, you can expect to upgrade around 4 categories (ie - from Cat M to JJ)

Mark

Hi Mark,

We usually book this way - on a guarantee. Princess or P & O allocate a cabin depending on what is available. When you book several months ahead it is likely you will be upgraded. I believe that the upgrades are allocated according to when you book. It is possible you will end up with an outside cabin, but not very likely. It is more likely you will get an inside cabin, but on a more expensive deck than you paid for.

In the last couple of weeks before your cruise check the Princess website Cruise Personalizer. We are currently checking ours for our P & O cruise at the end of January. Cabins are usually allocated within the last week or 10 days but sometimes earlier. Even when a cabin number is shown, occasionally a further upgrade might occur. This happened to us on one cruise.

Enjoy your cruise. :):)

Evon.

Hi Mark

Just noticed you question when I was also looking for Info on Sun cabins.

We are also doing this same cruise.

You may already know but if not we also have a roll call set up under Roll Calls Princess and the date of cruise.

Its a great way to chat prior to leaving and we are hoping to meet up on board for meet and greet and also get some freebies if possible.

I have also just joined but so far there seems to be about 20 people.

You may like to join in and we can add your names to the list.

Archived