The OLD Sea Princess

flamomo

Because there was nothing worth watching on TV last night, I watched a rather silly old movie from 1980 -- Herbie Goes Bananas.

I was surprised to see that part of it was filmed on the old Sea Princess. At first I thought it was just a movie set, but the seawitch logo was on the wall in the dining room, and they showed the actual ship. There was also that other logo with the sun on the bow of the ship that is on the current Sun Class ships.

It was fun seeing the original Sea Princess, having sailed on the current one last year.

If you are referring to Sea Princess, nee Kungsholm, later Victoria and Mona Lisa, she was indeed a lovely ship.

We sailed on her from Kobe Japan to Vancouver BC via Honolulu, 5-89, and thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Our first 3 cruises were on her. When we booked in 1994 with P&O she was the Sea Princess but by the time we sailed in 1995 her name had been changed to Victoria. I have fond memories of her, all the wood panelling.

The cabins had one pull down bed and one fixed.

I hope we are talking of the same ship.:)

We are off to join the Sea Princess on Saturday in Montego Bay.

This Spring, I saw her docked at Istanbul with the name "Scholarship" painted along her side. She was a floating university at sea at that time.

I still remembering visiting her in New York when she was the Kungsholm, just prior to her sailing on a North Cape cruise. Such a lovely vessel and so spacious! Compared to the ships of today, there seemed to be very few passengers aboard.

Yes, she had beautiful wood paneling, plus that lovely indoor pool, down in the bowels of the ship.

We got a nine category upgrade, from an inside to a "stateroom", which today would be equivalent to a mini-suite.

Ship was half-full, Kobe to Honolulu, so they went to single seat dining, splitting the time. Honolulu to Vancouver, ship was full, so they went back to Traditional First and Second seatings.

I was surprised to see that part of it was filmed on the old Sea Princess. At first I thought it was just a movie set, but the seawitch logo was on the wall in the dining room, and they showed the actual ship.

I was flipping last night and stopped when I saw Harvey Korman as the captain and enjoyed the dining rooms scenes. Plus, I thought that was the sea witch but couldn't make it out 100%.

Might have to go to the video store and rent that 'ol classic!

:D

There was also a 2-part Love Boat episode filmed aboard that ship. There are great interior shots - of course, the cabins are portrayed as being HUGE.

You mean they aren't? :eek: Oh, sad day.:(

We took Sea Princess when it was P&O, on part of the world cruise. Great ship, even being in an inside cabin. Of course, we were a bit younger then.:D

Actually, that movie used the original Sun Princess, not the Sea Princess. The original Sea Princess began sailing for P&O in 1979, but she did not acquire the seawitch logo and was not transferred to Princess until the mid 1980s - then she returned to P&O and became the Victoria. Some of the exterior shots (including the one loading Herbie aboard) were indeed the real Sun Princess. However, the interior shots were a set. Also, when they were at sea and out on deck when the Captian committed Herbie to the deep, that was not the Sun Princess, although it was on a real ship. It appeared to be a ferry on the Mexican west coast. During that scene, the funnel of the vessel used was shown, and it most definitely was not the Sun Princess.

The "rising sun" on the bow (known as the bow badge) is on all P&O ships, including the Princess ships (although as another poster pointed out, I'm not sure if it is on the PP, TP, and RP). That, along with the officers' cap badge (with the P&O flag) are now the only official remnants showing that Princess was once part of P&O (instead of now being "equal partners" with it under Carnival).

The "rising sun" on the bow (known as the bow badge) is on all P&O ships, including the Princess ships (although as another poster pointed out, I'm not sure if it is on the PP, TP, and RP).

Interesting. I remember asking one of the Captain's one time on the Sun Princess about that badge and he told me it was on all Princess Ships.

Here's a pic of the Royal - the badge is not there...

x_bow8-363x469.jpg

Archived