Statendam - Suites

Krazy Kruizers

I won't get into a description of the cabin since most of us do know what the suites look like.

There was a brand new pair of binaculors in our cabin but no umbrella. Wonder if the previous people abscounded them??

Every morning until the last few days of the cruise the dinner and dessert menus were delievered to the cabin by 8 - 8:30 AM.

The personalized stationary was larger than on the other ships.

We had one woman who for the first couple of days would park her HUGE scooter in the Neptune Lounge - right at the end of the long table so that one side of the table could never be used for hours on end. Finally something was said to her and she parked her scooter in her cabin. Some people tried to park them in the hallway but people could barely get by.

Several suite passengers complained to our conceirge about not being able to have breakfast and lunch in the Queen's Room - it was obvious that they haven't cruised in the last few months. One man got very vocal and wanted to know why the Pinnacle Grill couldn't be used for suite passengers for breakfast and lunch.

It was mentioned this past summer by a poster that some changes were going to be made in the food in the Neptune Lounge. There weren't any changes on the Statendam. There were the same offerings for breakfast as on the other ships. The tea sandwiches, cookies and everything else put out during the day was the same.

The first suite cocktail party was not held the first night we were on the ship. Instead it was held the next day at 12 in the Neptune Lounge. Not all the suite passengers came. Neither the captain or any of the officers attended. Appetizers were offered only once. The party lasted about 3/4 of an hour. Most people were hungry and wanted to go to lunch.

Not all suite passengers were invited to the VIP party either.

I already mentioned about the suite dinner.

On the last sea day we had the real, old fashion Indonesian luncheon. Only 27 of the 58 suite passengers attended. Those of us who did attend had cocktails and appetizers first. We met at the front of the upper level of the dining room. Once everyone was there we went to the aft of the dining room and were seated at various tables. We were at a table with another couple we had gotten to know, Peter Fealey (hotel manager) and his wife. We had a great time. We noticed that one couple was sitting at a table by themselves. Don't know why. Bami Goreng was the main entree - yum! Everyone had a choice of red or white wine or beer (Grolsch) to accompany their meal. The captain excused himself at 1 PM to make his announcement. He had the entire ship laughing (wonder what he was drinking) when he announced how many more nautical miles we had to go before we docked in San Diego. The number he read would have taken us all the way to San Francisco! Even he admitted that wasn't right. Within a few minutes he got the right information and corrected himself. After the announcements he returned to the party. After eating a few of us got up and mingled with the others. And once again Captain PJ mentioned that as long as he is captain, the sit-down luncheon will continue on his ship. He said that he was aware that the other ships now do a buffet in the Crow's Nest, but he prefers this meal.

Thanks for the descriptions, KK.

One of these days,DH and I may actually attend a Suite Lunch. Nah....why wreck our perfect record of non-attendance.

I would have been very disappointed with the cocktail party at noon. That's a ridiculous time IMO to have it ....and without the Captain and HM.

Sometimes I get the feeling that if they change around the amenities enough to make them unappealing, they will then point to low attendance and say.....Voila, they don't care about having these events. So, let's stop having them.

When they have the cocktail party in the evening (usually the day we board) they have about 90% attendance. So why are they purposely holding it at an unappealing, uninteresting hour? How many people want a cocktail party at noon on a sea day?

Makes one wonder if they don't want us coming and having a good time. That's a great attitutde to have when hosting/planning/running a party. Not!

Sail7seas,

We had our cocktail party the second day at noon also. I, also, cannot drink cocktails at noon. We were at the aft pool that morning and were NOT going to go in and get cleaned up for it. Ditto for the rest of the Suite activities. We just had other things to go.

One of these days,DH and I may actually attend a Suite Lunch. Nah....why wreck our perfect record of non-attendance.

I would have been very disappointed with the cocktail party at noon. That's a ridiculous time IMO to have it ....and without the Captain and HM.

Seas,

The suite lunches are a nice social gathering and the food is very good. We have always attended them when we booked a suite. I prefer the buffet type but my wife rather have the sit down lunch like KrazyKruisers had.

Why the non-attendance since you do attend the Mariner's Party?

You're right that we always attend the Mariner's Party and the Suite Cocktail Party and the VIP.....but, for some reason, in all of our cruises, we have never gone to the Suite lunch.

It is almost a joke with some of the HM's and Captains and Maitre d's by this point. Several times Maitre d's we know well have passed by us having lunch in Lido when they knew Suite lunch was just starting and they stopped in their tracks to ask....did we forget??

It just has never very much appealed to us and I suppose has become 'habit'.

But Roadwork..... I asked once before and you did not respond so I shall ask again. You have twice made reference to seeing us at Mariner's Parties which, of course, implies we have sailed with you. If we have met, I have forgotten or never knew you by your post name and only met you and know you by your real name. Could you/would you give a clue as to which ship/when we met? Clearly you know me and I would like to be reminded how I 'must' know you.

But Roadwork..... I asked once before and you did not respond so I shall ask again. You have twice made reference to seeing us at Mariner's Parties which, of course, implies we have sailed with you. If we have met, I have forgotten or never knew you by your post name and only met you and know you by your real name. Could you/would you give a clue as to which ship/when we met? Clearly you know me and I would like to be reminded how I 'must' know you.

:) I did not realize you asked before. I do not read these boards eveyday so I must have missed it.

You asked for a clue, so hear goes. Maasdam. You were wearing a shirt with giraffes and had one of those Mariner medallions around your neck. :)

:) Thanks, Roadwork.

I know the jersey you reference. ;) Did we talk? Seeing how much we cruise on Maasdam could have been one of a great many cruises. Was it recently? Years ago?

It seems, for most folks, it is hard to speak with anyone other than those who are seated right near you at a Mariner's Party. We come in and sit right down....no mingling.

Thanks for your response.

For anyone interested, we are just off the Rotterdam and we had the Kings Room open for breakfest and lunch every day. Do believe it has to do with the HM, as that is what we were told by the Captain. Also had the Mariner Party on Informal evening at 7P.M.Happen to be a friend of Peter Feeley's

American girlfriend. Wonder if she knows he is married. Will find out in Jan.

We have all these 'sub-plots' going on. It is getting intriguing. :)

KK....You're good! Yes....I still have the giraffe jersey. It is about 2 years old and I have only worn it about three times. I never wore it at home but have worn it on Caribbean cruises. Now I shall poke through our pics with Captain and HM at Mariner's Party to see if I can find it. Unfortunately, more often than not the photographer takes the pic but we never get a copy of it. We were very pleased that on both the Maasdam in July and Zuiderdam in October this year, the photo was delivered both times. Sometimes we go to look for it and they never even put it out so we couldn't buy it if we wanted to.

Sub-plot about HM Peter Feeley......this is getting interesting!! :)

Shame on us for being 'gossips' (or worse).

Archived