What to wear- vow renewal?

Soxfan05

Okay-good for you! I guess this ceremony is just not my cup of tea- I did not mean to offend you-it was just when I saw the website-I was disappointed-I had other visions in my mind when you asked for ideas of what to wear for a "vow renewal." I figured you asked because you were wanting to "doll up."

I am just of the "old school" where we celebrate special occasions by being dressed up-I like dressing up and never find it a chore-and it always makes me feel more "special".

BTW-I do love Tommy Bahama sundresses-I had a lovely silk one several years ago, that I would always take on cruises to wear "island night"to dinner. Even though they are made of nice materials, like silk, they do have more of a casual feel.

You didn't offend me, I just find your post to be meanspirited. In my post I said it was a casual island and I was looking for a sundress. I could not have been more clear. I don't think that the casual nature of the event makes it "sad". :rolleyes:

Dressing up is not what I or those with whom I socialize would consider to be "old school". It's also not a chore. People of class know when to dress appropriately. That having been said, one has to respect the tone that has been set for this tradition and it's a casual event. My interpretation of "casual" is a sundress. And so it will be. I think overdressing for this event would be as gauche and disrespectful as underdressing for a more formal occasion.

This is not a second wedding. It's a mass vow renewal. I had a gorgeous affair 15 years ago and would never want to try to replicate such a special day. I do have to say on our actual anniversary, DH took me back to the beachside resort in Chatham, MA where we were married for dinner. He ordered a flower arrangement made up of all my wedding flowers (he sent a photo to the florist) and a bottle of champagne to be waiting at the table. He also hired a boat to take us around the bay as we did when we left our wedding reception 15 years ago. Unfortunately, it was too windy so he arranged for us to have apres dinner cocktails by a fire on the beach. And while we were both dressed up for this but, getting "dolled up" isn't what made it special, it was the company.

You didn't offend me, I just find your post to be meanspirited. In my post I said it was a casual island and I was looking for a sundress. I could not have been more clear. I don't think that the casual nature of the event makes it "sad". :rolleyes:

Dressing up is not what I or those with whom I socialize would consider to be "old school". It's also not a chore. People of class know when to dress appropriately. That having been said, one has to respect the tone that has been set for this tradition and it's a casual event. My interpretation of "casual" is a sundress. And so it will be. I think overdressing for this event would be as gauche and disrespectful as underdressing for a more formal occasion.

This is not a second wedding. It's a mass vow renewal. I had a gorgeous affair 15 years ago and would never want to try to replicate such a special day. I do have to say on our actual anniversary, DH took me back to the beachside resort in Chatham, MA where we were married for dinner. He ordered a flower arrangement made up of all my wedding flowers (he sent a photo to the florist) and a bottle of champagne to be waiting at the table. He also hired a boat to take us around the bay as we did when we left our wedding reception 15 years ago. Unfortunately, it was too windy so he arranged for us to have apres dinner cocktails by a fire on the beach. And while we were both dressed up for this but, getting "dolled up" isn't what made it special, it was the company.

As I aid, I did not mean it to ofensive (mean spirted IS offensive)- and my reply was to the person who posted the website not you-I simply had a whole different vision in my head. I certainly did not mean you shoudn't do this-if you want to do it.

It sounds as though you had a wonderful time on your anniversary-and that sounded very special to me. It also sounds as though you had a beautiful, meaningful special wedding. As you said, a mass vow renewal is VERY different from that.

Now I had friends that eloped-you know a marriage in a judge's office.

For their 10th anniversary they had a very nice formal dinner party, she wore a beautiful gown, and she and her husband sort've did a vow renewal, each prepared a speach to give to the other, where they told what they meant to each other,etc. Their children acted as flower girl and ring bearer. she also had two close friends stand up as bridesamaids and he had groomsmen. I had in mind that you meant something like this.

Archived