What to wear- vow renewal?

Soxfan05

Hi Ladies,

I just got a phone call from the owner of the villa we are renting in St. John this February. She told me about a vow renewal ceremony that is done every year on Valentine's Day at Trunk Bay.

DH and I thought it would be a romantic thing to do as this trip is in part to celebrate our 15th anniversary.

From what I've seen, St. John is a very casual destination. Anyone have any suggestions for what to wear or where I can buy something even?

I was looking for a simple sundress but I need a color that will look okay with my pasty white, New England winter skin. :D

Hi Ladies,

I just got a phone call from the owner of the villa we are renting in St. John this February. She told me about a vow renewal ceremony that is done every year on Valentine's Day at Trunk Bay.

DH and I thought it would be a romantic thing to do as this trip is in part to celebrate our 15th anniversary.

From what I've seen, St. John is a very casual destination. Anyone have any suggestions for what to wear or where I can buy something even?

I was looking for a simple sundress but I need a color that will look okay with my pasty white, New England winter skin. :D

I love Spenser Alexis. Dilliards carries this brand. The gowns have a good bit of lace and ruffles with a sort of Edwardian feel to them. I have seen them in ivory and pastels. Think of the gowns you saw in the movie "Titanic" and you will have an idea of what that brand looks like. I like that brand because it does not look too young on me. I htink thsoe gowns would make beautiful informal wedding gowns.

If you are under 40-you make like Jessica McClintock or her son Scott McClintock's designs in gowns-a similar feel as Spenser Alexis, but more youthful.

I'm not sure I'd go the "gown" route--I think a simple sundress would be perfect for an afternoon re-newal on St. Johns! Just pick a color opposite your skin tone! (No beiges or peaches, if you're that pale!!!)

You'll really have to look around for the style and color choices in the stores...

Hi Ladies,

Here's a link to the dress I'm wearing for our vow renewal in the Caribbean on the Emerald Princess. It's an Adrianna Papell and I got it from Nordstrom. I ordered it online and when it was delivered, it fit perfectly. It is made of silk...the top layer is very gauzy and sheer and the lining is opaque. It has silver beading on the neckline and at the empire waist. The beading at the top is backed by sheer mesh:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=94763&d=1225404290

Congratulations on your anniversary! We're celebrating our 20th in April.

I love Spenser Alexis. Dilliards carries this brand. The gowns have a good bit of lace and ruffles with a sort of Edwardian feel to them. I have seen them in ivory and pastels. Think of the gowns you saw in the movie "Titanic" and you will have an idea of what that brand looks like. I like that brand because it does not look too young on me. I htink thsoe gowns would make beautiful informal wedding gowns.

If you are under 40-you make like Jessica McClintock or her son Scott McClintock's designs in gowns-a similar feel as Spenser Alexis, but more youthful.

Actually it is Spencer Alexis. these gowns do not qualify as "evening gowns"-and many are sleeveless but have matching lace jackets-they usually hit just below mid calve-so they are not floor length.

http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=301&langId=-1&storeId=301&productId=501742313&Ntk=all&Nty=1&N=1000301&Ntt=spencer+Alexis&search.x=0&search.y=0&searchUrl=%2Fendeca%2FEndecaStartServlet%3FNtk%3Dall%26Nty%3D1%26N%3D1000301%26Ntt%3Dspencer%2BAlexis%26search.x%3D0%26search.y%3D0&R=02976386&IN_MERCH=true

Having seen what folks wear to this event I would say shorts and a nice top-no glitz or sparkles. It is a very laid back event and even bathing suits appear!

It takes place on the beach, most are barefoot. A sun dress would be very nice, but if you have to sit on the beach (waiting, we are on Island time, unless you are late and then we are on time!) it could get very sandy. Enjoy:)

B.

I don't know if you will like this suggestion or not, but I just got a dress today in the mail that I think sounds like just what I would wear if it were me renewing my vows on the beach. (Congrats, btw!)

It's a soft, pretty pink (not the sickly sweet kind) in person, it's very comfy, NOT itchy, lightweight and fits like a dream (although of course YMMV since everyone is built differently).

http://www.target.com/Isaac-Mizrahi-Target-Ruched-Dress/dp/B0011WAHGS/sr=1-2/qid=1230590191/ref=sr_1_2/175-4922488-2098735?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Alace%20pink&page=1

And the price is VERY right at less than 18 dollars!

pinkdress.jpg.93c319bfceb71046ee7d030ed2095697.jpg

Having seen what folks wear to this event I would say shorts and a nice top-no glitz or sparkles. It is a very laid back event and even bathing suits appear!

It takes place on the beach' date=' most are barefoot. A sun dress would be very nice, but if you have to sit on the beach (waiting, we are on Island time, unless you are late and then we are on time!) it could get very sandy. Enjoy:)

B.[/quote']

That is sad-I would want a vow renewal to be more special. I know a beach wedding would be more casual but- THAT casual? It is still a wedding.

Hi Ladies,

You may find this interesting. I believe this is the person who performs these ceremonies. Lots of pictures to see what others wear. It appears very, very casual.

http://re-marryyourmate.com/valentine.htm

You may find this interesting. I believe this is the person who performs these ceremonies. Lots of pictures to see what others wear. It appears very, very casual.

http://re-marryyourmate.com/valentine.htm

Wow - it is VERY casual. Regardless of how many were in shorts, I'd still go with a sundress myself. I wear lightweight cotton dresses to the beach here all of the time and never have any problem with getting sandy. In fact, I carry around less sand on the dresses than I do on my bare skin!

Have 11 as of last week, and one of them in cream and white lace , a summer season one,is perfect for that, with white bottoms..Spring selections will be on the rack as soon as holidays are over. they come in petite s m l, misses, s m l xl, and plus 1x 2x 3x..mine are assorted sizes to to the "wing" room. They also pair with their own tank, skirt, and slipdress. I dont care for the necklines on them, so I sub my own things, ie: cami, or nice tank. most are priced $109 and $119, never paid more than $47, and some on sale for $27 at a Dillards closeout store in Jacksonville, Fl. There is also a SA website and some on sale at ebay. good luck

Try Tommy Bahama or Hilo Hattie for sundresses. While the pics make it look very casual, it would still be a special occasion for me. Plus, a sundress is way more comfortable than shorts in warm humid weather.

I've tried on Spencer Alexis before and feel like I'm wearing the tablecloth. My sister likes them and they don't look like a tablecloth on her, so I'm thinking it's just the feeling I get, I suppose I like things with a little closer fit and I'm not crazy for ruffles nor lace.

Whatever you do, congratulations on your upcoming anniversary :)

Have 11 as of last week, and one of them in cream and white lace , a summer season one,is perfect for that, with white bottoms..Spring selections will be on the rack as soon as holidays are over. they come in petite s m l, misses, s m l xl, and plus 1x 2x 3x..mine are assorted sizes to to the "wing" room. They also pair with their own tank, skirt, and slipdress. I dont care for the necklines on them, so I sub my own things, ie: cami, or nice tank. most are priced $109 and $119, never paid more than $47, and some on sale for $27 at a Dillards closeout store in Jacksonville, Fl. There is also a SA website and some on sale at ebay. good luck

I love the timeless look of them- and they go for any age woman I feel. I do not look like I am trying to look "young" in them. I have always liked things with a vintage feel.

The picture I posted is very similar to one of theirs that I have-it is that same celery green but mine had some floral inserts on the skirt and also on the jacket in a pretty teal blue. I "lucked out" on this purchase-I got it for 75% off plus an extra 40% so mine cost $60 for the 3 pieces, but would have been over $300 at regular price.

I also have a one piece dress in that brand in an ivory Jacquard satin that I bought several years ago-but it is a size 8 and it no longer fits. I looked TINY in the size 8 back when it fit-it was so slimming.

Even though I'm a 12-14 now-the silhouette of the Spencer Alexis dresses are still flattering to my body. I look MUCH slimmer than I actually am! that is the main reason why I love them so much!

I am with you on the tops-they are basally simply a shell. When I bought my taupe jacket and skirt (another that I have)-I bought it at a 40% off weekend sale-so I spent around $135 just for the jacket and skirt alone- the top would have been another $25 but I decided not to buy it. Since the jacket had ivory lace inserts, I bought an ivory lace blouse at Marshalls for around $20 that I wore with it, which I felt looked much better.

I could use that same blouse with the celery green also, it has celery lace inserts on it- I only bought the top with the celery green, because it was $15 marked down-I figured even if I only wore it only sometimes-it was worth that.

I feel the same as do you on the look the give my zaftig shape.I dont like the fluffy sleeve ones, as I am fluffy enuff on my own. They only need an occaisional press, pop in cleaner bag, and hang in cabin. Sale is the name of the game on SA's. I'm Ny -eveing in my new mixed black/cream/gray. silver tone cami..black somthing on the bottom. Theree are diff stles in diff Dillards stores. I can go to P'cola, on the way to cruze and check it out. Thaks for sharing your views as well. Happy '09 cruzing..lucky

Thanks for all the tips & infor on the ceremony ladies. I assumed the event would be casual- from what I was told it is literally, "come as you are" but that doesn't mean I have to be uber casual. ;)

I like the pic of the dress from Target and also jkudzu's dress from her vow renewal. I think I'm looking for a cross between those 2. Something casual and beachy but flirty and feminine.

Cookingchick- your dress is lovely. I hope you post pics after your event.

HappyKS, I will try those 2 vendors. I'm thinking by the end of January, much of the cruisewear will be out at Macy's.

That is sad-I would want a vow renewal to be more special. I know a beach wedding would be more casual but- THAT casual? It is still a wedding.

We're celebrating each other and what we've accomplished over the past 15 years in one of the most gorgeous settings in the world. It will be special- no matter what we or anyone else who is lucky enough to be celebrating their union is wearing.

It takes place on the beach' date=' most are barefoot. A sun dress would be very nice, but if you have to sit on the beach (waiting, we are on Island time, unless you are late and then we are on time!) it could get very sandy. Enjoy:)

B.[/quote']

Sand in my toes sounds good right now! Thanks for the tip.

We're celebrating each other and what we've accomplished over the past 15 years in one of the most gorgeous settings in the world. It will be special- no matter what we or anyone else who is lucky enough to be celebrating their union is wearing.

Okay-good for you! I guess this ceremony is just not my cup of tea- I did not mean to offend you-it was just when I saw the website-I was disappointed-I had other visions in my mind when you asked for ideas of what to wear for a "vow renewal." I figured you asked because you were wanting to "doll up."

I am just of the "old school" where we celebrate special occasions by being dressed up-I like dressing up and never find it a chore-and it always makes me feel more "special".

BTW-I do love Tommy Bahama sundresses-I had a lovely silk one several years ago, that I would always take on cruises to wear "island night"to dinner. Even though they are made of nice materials, like silk, they do have more of a casual feel.

Archived