Best Computer for Amateur Photographer?

Sunny AZ Girl

Not at all. In fact, I find it loads pages considerably faster than either IE or Firefox.

What anti-virus are you running? Have you checked their site or Google's site for any known conflicts?

Dave

I uninstalled the Norton that was on there and put AVG 8.0 on. It wasn't just web pages that were loading slowly -- I tried to open the documents folder, computer, etc. and nothing happened. I ended up having to unplug it and take the battery out.

I have fallen hard for google Chrome, I use it almost exclusively now. I also have AVG on all 5 computers (no I'm not really a computer geek, honest!) and have been using it for years and it has served me very well, killing every virus that has crept on to my computer.

I have 2 dell desktops and a 2 dell laptops one desktop runs 24/7 and has been doing so faithfully for almost 8 years now, and the very old laptop looks very beat up but performs flawlessly. I have a new Acer laptop that is excellent also, running Vista, and have had ZERO issues with Vista it runs quite well and stable, I am not sure what all the hoopla is about.

I take lots of pictures and Picasa serves me well, I rarely feel the need for more, and when I do I stumble around GIMP until I figure out what I need.

Worst case, it would do some odd things running Java applets on web sites. I haven't had any crash on me as yet. I wouldn't be concerned.

Dave

Yes, DH looked at it, too. He said it would not cause a problem, so I installed it. I haven't had time to start a real photobook yet - that work thing is getting in the way - but I did a small "test' book and all seems to be fine.:)

I also have found that the Google Chrome is extremely fast. I've never had such as easy time. Just think, just one click to Cruise Critic!

Picasa will do all the basic editing functions that you want plus a good bit more. It has an "I'm feeling lucky" button that does a pretty good job on many photos. It also has several manual controls that allow tweeking just the way you want it. The straightening tool is very easy to use. So are the crop and red eye tools. It is a long way from being Elements but it is a good basic editor and enough for many people. It doesn't sound like it will fill your needs for long though so I would investigate Elements with the idea of getting that when you recover from the computer purchase. :D I think Elements will do all that you want to do unless you really get into photography in a big way.

I used Picasa to "fix" about 50 pictures yesterday. It worked great! I think that Picture It! did a better job enhancing, but for my needs right now it will be just fine. I think it has some great options. Before the next cruise I will pick up Photoshop Elements. I hope to get some great photos on that Southern Caribbean Cruise.:p

I have fallen hard for google Chrome, I use it almost exclusively now. I also have AVG on all 5 computers (no I'm not really a computer geek, honest!) and have been using it for years and it has served me very well, killing every virus that has crept on to my computer.

I am right now using a Trend program the Geeks put on my computer. However, it is a trial only. I think when that expires I will try AVG.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a free editing program I use which is very good.It is called FastStone image Viewer.You can do a lot of advanced things with it.Like adding text and borders,all kinds of effects,resizing and so on. Also look at a noise reduction program.I use Noiseware and very happy with it.I think there is a free one called CoolPix.

There's a free photo editing program called GIMP that's a lot like Photoshop Elements if you want more. A bit of a learning curve but if you've used Elements you shouldn't have a problem. No sense in paying for something if you don't have to.

There is a free editing program I use which is very good.It is called FastStone image Viewer.You can do a lot of advanced things with it.Like adding text and borders,all kinds of effects,resizing and so on. Also look at a noise reduction program.I use Noiseware and very happy with it.I think there is a free one called CoolPix.

Thanks to both of you - I'll check them out!:D

• 5 weeks later...

I am late to the thread but I think the people don't understand the Magic of a Mac.

First the Mac has a very elegant interface, someone said clunky here...it is anything but that.

They cost a bit more than a PC but you get alot more.

You don't get a computer loaded with bloatware like 98% of all PCs are these days, that is trial software you must later buy.

Macs don't have problems with virus and spyware like PCs so you don't need an annual subscription like you do on PC.

Macs come with great creative software like iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and Garageband with this software you can create slide shows, movies, DVD, web galleries very easily. All the programs share information making it seamless.

You also have the Apple Store with hundreds of locations around the US and others in major cities all over the world, where you can talk to real native english speaking people face to face and get lessons. You can't get that from Dell, HP, Sony or any other computer company.

I don't work for Apple but I have had Mac for many years. Also the most important accessory for any computer is a backup drive.

I am late to the thread but I think the people don't understand the Magic of a Mac.

If they were truly magic, you could conjure one instead of buying it! :D

Unix-based, with tightly-controlled development on the core operating system and user interface. Single-source hardware based on Intel architecture without a lot of third-party options to muck things up. The aforementioned tight control on source code, 7% of US market and 5% of world market make them a low-profile target for virus writers, though Sophos markets an anti-virus for Mac OS-X to protect against the few that do exist. They are very stable with Apple apps and Apple approved software but they crash about as often as well-maintained PCs (well-maintained = no crapware loaded by OEM and no use of un-tried free/share-ware) in business networks with custom developed software solutions. Great graphics workstations but no large server or databases supported by the OS (not their intended market).

No magic, but a well-designed, well-marketed system that is a great alternative if you like to use them.

The best computer is the one that works for you.

Happy computing!

Dave

Your best bet is to go to the store and play around with some computers, both PC's and Macs. Go to the Apple Store and try a Mac. You will be surprised how easy they are to use and honestly, they are VERY easy to learn. I was a Dell person for years and switched to a Mac and will never go back.

Glad to see another MAC user. They are easy to use and I love my APPLE Laptop. :D The apple store employees will be happy to help you. Like you said, Rosieo, try both and see which you like.

Archived