Reef & Wreck Snorkeling GC

tratc1

I am booking the reef and shipwreck snorkel tour in Grand Cayman. Has anyone done this, and good/bad reviews to share? I was going to book thru the cruise line unless someone has other suggestions they've experienced.

11 days until cruise - yeah!!!!

The reef & wreck excursion I took nearly 2 years ago involved a short bus trip, boarding a reasonably large boat (looked like it could hold around 200, although our group was much smaller) and then a brief trip back to the harbor area. The wreck is about 300 feet or so from shore as was the reef. The reef, if I recall correctly, was 8 - 15 feet below surface and the wreck was in slightly deeper water. Very calm waters.

Not the greatest snorkeling but the fish were reasonably numerous and interesting. The boat we were on had view ports in the bottom for those who did not want to snorkel or who got tired early.

While waiting for our excursion to get going I noted numerous groups in the same general area as we ended up visiting, so it wouldn't surprise me if most of the reef & wreck excursions were quite similar.

I'd give this excursion a solid B although I'm not sure that I'd book the same excursion again.

broberts - have you done any other snorkeling there you liked better?

Unfortunately I've only been to GC once. I'll be there for the second time at the end of Jan 09 :D :D :D. I haven't decided on anything yet. A lot of the snorkeling excursions that are not "reef & wreck" seem to involve stingrays. While these are gorgeous creatures, I'd rather not swim with them.

A lot of the snorkeling excursions that are not "reef & wreck" seem to involve stingrays. While these are gorgeous creatures, I'd rather not swim with them.

Although I'm sure you have your reasons, you're really missing out on a great experience, then...Stingray City is the "must-do" attraction of the island. :D I've been dozens of times (most recently yesterday) and it's one of my favorite ways to pass the time...

Archived