Is insurance more expensive on higher cat room?

cacj

I have been researching a cruise (Mexico) and yesterday was quoted $59 by NCL for a balcony/oceanview....but the TA I researched with later in the day told me that the insurance is higher for those rooms, $89.

Yes, the price of the insurance does cost more when the trip you are taking costs more. Thus, if you were insuring a garden villa room, you would pay more than if you were insuring a trip in an inside cabin. Nancy

I have been researching a cruise (Mexico) and yesterday was quoted $59 by NCL for a balcony/oceanview....but the TA I researched with later in the day told me that the insurance is higher for those rooms, $89.

Be aware of cruise ship insurance as it covers very little, i think $10K medical which will get you a band aid in a hosiptal these days. You can also upgrade to $20K but still not enough. You need to shop around and make sure you get medical and trip cancellation.

The cost of insurance isn't so much based on the kind of cabin, as it is on the cost of the vacation. Since a higher-category cabin costs more, your total cost of your vacation will be more, and so the insurance will be more.

But don't just take what your TA is offering! Usually that insurance doesn't really cover what you need to have covered, like any pre-existing medical conditions, cancellation if a family member becomes ill, travel-related risks, and so on. insuremytrip is one web site you can explore where you can compare several different policies and find one that fits your particular circumstances.

the cost of insurance is based on the overall cost of the cruise, so the higher catagories normally will have slightly higher insurance cost. $59 versus $89 seems like a big difference.

As for where you purchase your insurance, though I do not recommend you use the cruise line I do suggest you be careful about booking it on your own. If you are sure of what the insurance covers, great but you can think you are covered for things you are not. And, one more thing;; to everyone: Please take insurance. We just had a couple at our church take a cruise without insurance. He had a heart attack and had to be air lifted. Now they are looking at a $35,000 bill..Luckily the heart attack wasn't serious so he will be fine, but financually this really hurts....

Nita

Archived