Rocky Mountaineer and Alaska cruise

Urtchie

We are from the UK and planning to do a trip to the Rockies and a cruise to Alaska. We want to do the Rocky Mountaineer and I have read that it is worth upgrading to Gold Leaf but it is very expensive. Because of this I am wondering if we could manage with an Inside cabin for the cruise or should we bite the bullett and go for a balcony. Any thoughts on Gold leaf upgrade would also be appreciated.

The Rocky Mountaineer folks do a great job no matter what level of service you choose....I think it really comes down to one's budget. As for a balcony cabin, we definitely prefer them, we tried an ocean view one this spring for a 6 day cruise and said never again. That said a lot of people have no problem with them or even inside cabins maintaining they spend little time in their cabins anyway.

Balconies are not 'necessary' my opinion, especially if the cost is stressful to you. Book what you can afford, enjoy the public areas if the balcony expense will stretch your budget a little too far... and have no regrets. :) We like to be front and center for sailing Alaska and a balcony doesn't allow for that anyway.

We had a balcony once... just not worth the cost, my opinion. Not when I can use the savings off ship or for more (land or sea) vacations throughout the year.

I can't answer questions regarding 'gold leaf' service, however, the Canadian Rockies are spectacular... and we've only traveled there 'self serve' (tent and car, with the occasional lodge thrown in for good measure).

Enjoy your trip!!!

I've never upgraded on ships or VIA rail and have a perfectly wonderful trip. :)

I am into volume travel and am delighted that others have different priorities, including upscale accomdations and tranportation. It keeps my prices low. :)

I had a look at the Rocky Mountaineer site. The big difference between Red Leaf and Gold Leaf seems to be the "dome car" provided for Gold Leaf. I've not travelled on the Rocky Mountaineer, but did use CN and CP rail service years ago. The views from the dome cars are amazing. That said, it is a HUGE price difference. The properties you would stay in are all fine, though of course the Red Leaf ones are more "budget".

IMHO, for the 2 days I think you'll be on the train, you are paying a HUGE premium for Gold Leaf service. Again, JMHO -- it seems exhorbitant, but you are the only one who can decide the value it has to you.

I've had oceanview cabins (unobstructed), and inside cabins. I've decided that the usually-small difference in price is worth it to have the window. That way, you are able to see scenery from your cabin. Though for me, being ON DECK is the best way to experience Alaska. Some people swear you don't really experience Alaska unless you've got a balcony. I've never had a balcony, so can't really comment. For me, and my budget, an oceanview is fine. An inside is fine, too, if the price difference is substantial.

I suspect this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for you, so you are really the only one who can decide the value vs cost of each choice. If you have specific questions re Banff or Calgary (I'm presuming you'll fly to Calgary) feel free to ask. I spend a fair amount of time in each place.

We did the Rocky Mountaineer trip with Red Leaf service a few years ago. We had a great trip, and I am not convinced that it's necessary to upgrade to Gold Leaf. The windows on the Red Leaf cars are big picture windows, and everyone in the train has a great view. The food for Red Leaf passengers is cold, but very good and fresh. We had shrimp one day and salmon the other. And there were more snacks than we could eat. The dome cars might give you more of a feeling of traveling through the outdoors with the overhead glass and all, but you won't see any more wildlife.

I tend to agree that a balcony isn't necessary for an Alaska cruise. We had one, but spent more time on deck than on our verandah. The cigar smoker in the next room had a bit to do with that, but also...we could go to any side and get a different view. Very handy for Tracy Arm and other spots. The only place I really wanted a verandah was an aft cabin for our Panama Canal transit. Even then, we spent a goodly amount of time out of the cabin on deck.

We did the Rocky Mountaineer two years ago, and splurged for Gold Leaf. I truly love dome cars because if someone sees wildlife or a great view of Mt. Robson on the opposite side, I think it much easier for you to catch it or photograph it before it disappears. The food was wonderful and we were truly spoiled. I'm sure that the Red Leaf isn't bad, mind you. It's just that for a once in a lifetime trip, it was a hoot to get the real "red carpet" treatment, have the bus right outside the rail car, mimosas to celebrate the start of the tour, etc.

I'm certain you would love either level of service, and budget is always a major consideration.

The thought I have is that if you don't intend to return to a location, go for the best you can afford (without blowing your opportunity to travel in the future).

Don't know that I can add more than above but let me offer this.

On the Rocky Mountaineer their 3 day itinerary is expensive probably in the area of $1800. 00 + Canadian. Or the Whistler Mountaineer is another choice if you have looked at Gray Lines Vancouver web site you have seen them.

We did the Whistler Gold Leaf or 1st class Sept of 07. Still high but manageable. They appear to be the same cars. We though it was exceptional service and viewing. Half day on a train enough for us even in 1st class. Ride the bus to Whistler early in AM board the train around 1PM maybe 4+ hours down. Then they took is back to our hotel. Got on the Diamond Princess next day and headed for LA.

Would take a mini on cruise in Alaska over an expensive train every time if I had to choose.

Thankyou for all the replies. We have now decided to do an Alaskan cruise on the Mercury with a couple of extra nights in Long Beach at the beginning and Vancouver at the end. We are now going to do The Rockies and maybe more of Canada as a separate trip. We are not sure whether to do the Rocky Mountaineer or a self - drive but have plenty of time to research now.

Archived