Tempature in October

We're going Oct 9 Boston to Quebec. I'm afraid it will feel very cold to these old southern bones with the wind chill factored in. You can go to http://www.worldclimate.com to get actual temp averages etc. When I asked this same question in October, I was told that it was getting cooler and the poster planned to dig his cold weather clothes the next week.

Right now, I'm planning to pack similar to what I packed for Alaska in early May i.e. my (southern) cold weather clothes. That may change by Oct., but that is the way I'm thinking I should go.

October tends to be cool/cold with many rainy days BUT, if you are lucky, you could have warm (but not hot) weather. Layers are the key. I wouldn't plan on wearing shorts but a t-shirt under a pullover + add an extra fleece under a rain jacket will usually work. I would bring a hat, mits and scarf too since you might want to be outside for an extended period of time. I would bring regular slacks and at least one pair of heavier fabric slacks (jeans tend to be very cold, I prefer corduroy or I heard about fleece lined jeans which seems a good idea). If you have lthin, long underwear, it will keep you warm too.

October tends to be cool/cold with many rainy days BUT, if you are lucky, you could have warm (but not hot) weather. Layers are the key. I wouldn't plan on wearing shorts but a t-shirt under a pullover + add an extra fleece under a rain jacket will usually work. I would bring a hat, mits and scarf too since you might want to be outside for an extended period of time. I would bring regular slacks and at least one pair of heavier fabric slacks (jeans tend to be very cold, I prefer corduroy or I heard about fleece lined jeans which seems a good idea). If you have lthin, long underwear, it will keep you warm too.

It will be very cold at sea. Around here it is cold at sea in summer even if it is in the 80's on land. Land temperatures are usually in the 50's during the day but can climb to the low 60's on a nice day. Even a nice day will start out quite cold so as the previous poster mentioned--layering is the key. Sometimes in late October we will experience Indian Summer where it gets into the low 70's in the afternoon and makes us forget winter is fast approaching.

I have never worn long underwear, mittens and hats in October on land but they would sure come in handy at sea. The previous poster who mentioned them lives in Quebec City which is farther north than here so I am sure he is correct for that region. The conditions I have described would pertain to Halifax, Charlottetown, Sydney and Bar Harbor as well as Saint John---which covers most of the ports you are likely to visit.

It will be very cold at sea. Around here it is cold at sea in summer even if it is in the 80's on land. Land temperatures are usually in the 50's during the day but can climb to the low 60's on a nice day. Even a nice day will start out quite cold so as the previous poster mentioned--layering is the key. Sometimes in late October we will experience Indian Summer where it gets into the low 70's in the afternoon and makes us forget winter is fast approaching.

I have never worn long underwear, mittens and hats in October on land but they would sure come in handy at sea. The previous poster who mentioned them lives in Quebec City which is farther north than here so I am sure he is correct for that region. The conditions I have described would pertain to Halifax, Charlottetown, Sydney and Bar Harbor as well as Saint John---which covers most of the ports you are likely to visit.

I usually don't wear long underwear either but for a long day outside, you might get cold without them if there is some wind. You really have to check out the temperature before to get ready for your excursion.

• 9 months later...
Any Canadians here who can tell us anything about the arctic storm that is supposed to hit Eastern Canada early next week? Accuweather is predicting winds into the 40's-50's ! :eek:

I have lived here all my life and have NEVER heard of an arctic storm here in October. The long range forecast by www.theweathernetwork.com does show temps falling below normal by next Tues/Wed but what meteorologist is ever right that far in advance? Today, was a warm beautiful day in Saint John. Next week, you could be in a t-shirt or need a sweatshirt and jacket. This time of year is very unpredictable.

I will be booking my cruise today and am struggling with whether the first week or mid would be better. I know the New England/Canada tour will be cool but I just want to be assured of seeing the trees in their peak colors.

Thanks for anyones input from previous cruises to New England/Canada.:)

This morning in mainland Nova Scotia it was sunny but cool. I wore slacks, a cotton sweater and a microfibre jacket. The leaves are wonderful rith now and should be good for another week here. They will be a bit later in Cape Breton.

Right now it is rainly and not so nice, about 50 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on this cruise on October 10 - VERY COLD!! We only used our balcony to watch people get on and off the ship at ports. The inside activities were very crowded since NO ONE was out on the pool decks. This was much colder than my Alaska cruise - I actually had to buy sweatshirts at ports to keep warm, even on the ship. We drank a lot of hot chocolate and hot tea!! It was a beautiful part of the country with delightful lighthouses and wonderful lobster. All my future cruises will be in the warm weather where I can relax on my balcony for hours!!

We were on the Oct. 9 cruise and as the above poster said, it was very cold. Also, it was windy . The locals told us that the cold was about a month earlier than normal. I wasn't as cold as I was in Alaska, but I think that may be because I learned how to dress for the cold - multiple layers. Even though it was cold, it was a good cruise.

Snow in Montreal today as well. Quite early this year! I remember when my kids were little and it snowed on Halloween, after all the Trick or Treating was over. We actually had accumulation that night...but that's the last time I remember it coming that early. I'm talking about 15 - 16 years ago!:eek:

We took one this year from 10/10 to 10/17. We had a good time, but the weather was not great.

Boston was okay. Portland was beautiful (in the 70s). However St John was cold and rainy and Hailfax was just cold and windy. And we came back through a Noreaster.

Ironically I think that we had better color in NJ than at any of our ports.

On our Canada/NE cruise it was way too cold to make use of our balcony except when in port. Our only consolation was that we were upgraded to a balcony and didn't pay for it!

On our way to the Hopewell Rocks, we enjoy all the vivid reds and golds of the leaves.

Last year on my Caribbean sailing out of Bayonne we had to wait until day 2 for it to warm up. On the way back up north, after being at sea for 4 hours, it started to turn too cold for our balcony.

MARAPRINCE

We were in Quebec City on 10/15, and we were hoping it would snow, as one of our Cruise Critic friends from Louisiana had never seen it. Alas, it didn't, but it was definitely cold.

We took Land's End 3-in-1 jackets we bought for Alaska, hats and gloves, and that was perfect everywhere we went (Boston, Halifax, Quebec City, Prince Edward Island and Sydney). We had some rain in Halifax and Sydney.

Our cruise started in NYC on 10/10, and this year we saw fabulous colors in Sydney, not so many in PEI, QC or Halifax, and Boston leaves hadn't really turned.

We are planning to repeat the cruise in 2011. What a gorgeous area it is! Canada rocks!

• 2 weeks later...

We had a reasonably good time during our mid-October Canadian cruise, but I would not recommend it to a friend. We missed the leaves, we missed the whales, some stores were closed for the season. On the other hand, we did have some areas more to ourselves than during peak season, I'm sure.

Like an earlier poster, I too had a Lands End jacket and agree that's the way to go if you're going to be in the cold.

Archived