Can you take food OFF of the ship for a picnic??

SuperLarz

But to be serious, after a few sea days i.e. LA to Hawaii, I like nothing better than trying a tasty morsel on shore!

That's the truth! And 1/2 way thru - by the time we got to Maui - we searched all over Lahaina for MEXICAN food! LOL We were craving spice! We found the food on Princess to be bland - but I expect that on cruises when trying to feed the masses. But by then we had already reached our normal 7 day limit. This was a much longer cruise. Of course, the only Mexican food place in Lahaina was closed. :rolleyes::D You should have seen us by the time we got to Ensenada. We were "blessed" with an entire day there because we had to miss Kona. :rolleyes: It was Day 14 - So we reallly enjoyed the food there. :D

Wow, I guess I've been lucky! I've taken snacks with me on excursions many times and never ran into any problems or objections. In fact, I remember reading a thread like this one about a year ago on the same subject, but the responses were just the opposite! Suggestions were made on how to make and carry the sandwiches! I agree with the folks who say that eating the local foods is part of the travel experience and I would much rather do that! From now on I'll be more careful with what I take off the ship!

I just checked the Patters from my recent Panama Canal cruise and there was nothing in them that addressed taking food off the ship. There were statements about not bringing drugs or unknown packages onboard and to be cautious about drinking alcoholic beverages in certain countries.

But I do remember a sign posted right before you punched your cruise card and disembarked at a port that said not to take any food on shore.

When going through customs back in the U.S.A. I told them that I had coffee beans that I was bringing back and they asked if they were already roasted and vacuum packed. When I said yes, they said those were OK.

On our last cruise to Hawaii, we were warned more than once, to ensure we brought no food/fruit items off the ship to the islands. On one of the tenders, a female Princess staff member, sat at the front facing a tender full of pax, and proceeded to take a wrapped sandwich out of her purse and eat it. Perhaps she didn't get the message. :rolleyes:

What a Moron she is. As Crew, she should have been setting a good example.

She should have been put off the ship at that port or the next one. :eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

That's the truth! And 1/2 way thru - by the time we got to Maui - we searched all over Lahaina for MEXICAN food! LOL We were craving spice! We found the food on Princess to be bland - but I expect that on cruises when trying to feed the masses. But by then we had already reached our normal 7 day limit. This was a much longer cruise. Of course, the only Mexican food place in Lahaina was closed. :rolleyes::D You should have seen us by the time we got to Ensenada. We were "blessed" with an entire day there because we had to miss Kona. :rolleyes: It was Day 14 - So we reallly enjoyed the food there. :D

And we took the girl to McD's in Kauai, believe it or not. She was craving Chicken McNuggets. She did love the pizza on the Island Princess. We were going to buy some packets of hot chocolate mix in Kona, after paying for a couple of them for the girl onboard, but as of course couldn't.

You got farther into Ensenada than us. We only went to that marketplace at the pier so hubby can buy a trinket for his mother, then shot a few photos, and then back onboard and eat lunch there. My system can't take spicy food, especially Mexican.

I do remember the Patters say absolutely no bringing food off the ship in Hawaii. And there are other places that have the same laws. If in doubt, you can always check out the official website of each port or country. Better to make sure first.

But if you have problems with blood sugar levels or have other medical needs, you can bring pre-packaged foods, such as protein bars with you. Just don't open them until you're going to eat them. I usually bring some on trips with me even if I don't have that problem.

Before I went on my first "official" cruise, we did an one-day gamblers special San Diego RT to Ensenada. Hubby (then bf) had packed a little lunchbox for us (not to take off the ship, but because to keep up his blood sugar during the day). When we got back at night to SD, we had to go through customs, and he was asked to open his lunchbox. Instead was a piece of fruit that we never got around to eating. His face was red:o as he knew that was a no no. I guess the officials realized it was a mistake and took the fruit and tossed it.

California does take bringing in food unlawfully very seriously for good reason. Agriculture is one of our most important industries here.

And we took the girl to McD's in Kauai' date=' believe it or not. She was craving Chicken McNuggets. [/quote']

That's where the kids ended up eating in Ensenada before we (the adults) hit the taco bar! :D

I did take them into the McD's in Honolulu just to prove that Spam & chorizo were on the menu. But they didn't eat there.

I am not positive,but i seem to remember years ago,around early 1990's Princess packed us some snacks when we went on tours in the Sierra Madre Mts.for our bus ride since there were a lot of people afraid of eating anything ashore back then.I thought it was water,cookies,sandwich or something???:confused:

I am not positive,but i seem to remember years ago,around early 1990's Princess packed us some snacks when we went on tours in the Sierra Madre Mts.for our bus ride since there were a lot of people afraid of eating anything ashore back then.I thought it was water,cookies,sandwich or something???:confused:

Maybe it was the tour company. On our Hilo tour in 2005, the tour guide brought along sandwiches for our lunch made at a local sandwich shop. Unfortunately, they were premade (and I don't eat anything with mayo on it). This was one of those times I wished I had packed a Balance bar (which would have been okay to take off the ship).

Archived