Solstice vs RCL Oasis of the Seas

cina54

Hi all, Have been on many cruises but never Celebrity mostly RCL. We are planning our yearly cruise for Feb. 2011 we were thinking of Oasis being new but my travel agent said she has recieved rave reviews from passengers back from Soltice. What is your unbiased opinion of those that go back and forth from both lines.

thanks so much,

cina54

Hi all, Have been on many cruises but never Celebrity mostly RCL. We are planning our yearly cruise for Feb. 2011 we were thinking of Oasis being new but my travel agent said she has recieved rave reviews from passengers back from Soltice. What is your unbiased opinion of those that go back and forth from both lines.

thanks so much,

cina54

There's some good information on the websites for each ship:

http://www.oasisoftheseas.com

http://celebritysolstice.com/

The Solstice holds 2800 passengers, and is 122,000 tons. This is huge by most standards. (The Queen Elizabeth, the largest ship in the world from 1940-1972 was 83,000 tons)

The Oasis holds 5400, and is 220,000 tons.

As you know, both ships look amazing, but they are very different experiences. Since you're familiar with RCI, all of the features you've found on those ships--and many more--are on Oasis. Oasis has a merry go round, zip line, deep water pool with water shows, etc.

Solstice is more about classic cruising with a focus on the food. There are several different restaurants. Many reviewers have described Solstice as the most beautiful large cruise ship they have ever seen. There are some threads around with pix that seem to back this up. Passengers on Celebrity tend to be a bit older, but we brought our kids on Celebrity and they enjoyed it quite a bit.

I don't think you can really go wrong, but the Solstice has been getting some rave reviews, and right now you can book a cruise on her for less than Oasis. Just my 2 cents, but I'd go with Solstice. I think you'll be a winner either way.

cina ~ I'm booked on both classes of ships in the next two years. Equinox (Solstice sister) in Jan 2010 and Oasis in Nov 2010. I don't think you can really compare them. The Solstice class is much smaller (nearly half the size of Oasis) although she isn't small at 122,000 tons. There will be far more things to see and do on Oasis but there is still plenty to see and do on Solstice. We like to try different things, which is why we are trying Oasis (I don't really like ships that big) so maybe trying Solstice would be nice. She is beautiful, has lots of lounges and specialty dining options, great pools, good food in the main dining room....everything you'd expect from a wonderful cruise. She doesn't have rock climbing, ice skating, surf boarding, carousels or a water theather so if those are really important, Oasis would be a better choice.

I know it's hard....I'm guessing you would enjoy both experiences.

I also have both ships booked. The Solstice next month and the Oasis for October 2010.

I really am not partial to any cruise line (although it looks that way). My TA does group cruises about 4 times a year and if one looks good to me and the price is right, I'll book it. Both the Solstice and the Oasis fit this category for me.

The main reason I booked the Oasis is because it's such a different concept in cruising. Yes, it's huge, but all the extras that will be on this ship are intriguing. I'm not into rock climbing or surfing, but the sand pool looks fun, the zip line, the tattoo parlor. Things that are completely new to cruise ships.

When I cruise, it's to get away from work and try new exciting things.

Judy

thanks for all your advice. One thing about Oasis that bothers me is that many of the reasonble priced veranda cabins are smaller...~175 sq. ft. We are diamond so we do get that discount but for about the same price(maybe a few hundred more) we can get the aqua class on Soltice.

We have no children so activities for children is not a problem. We do like a lot of option for things to do and see. We really don't have any interest in the rock climbing wall, merry-go-round or surf rider but we do enjoy the promenade and the ice shows.

I have heard a lot of opposing opinions on the food, some say it is better on Celebrity, some say that it is still so so on Celebriy (the Solstice review I just read). We go to the specialty restaurants a few times on Royal which are very good.

We also enjoy the kind of entertainment on Royal. The last cruise on Adventure of the Seas even the cruise director was really quite entertaining even when he was not trying. We wonder if the entertainment is good on Celebrity.

Cina, I looked through a few of the Celebrity Dailies that previous cruisers have posted...... we are going on Solstice this February.

I'm 39, and I'm a little worried that me and my husband will be below the median age on our cruise. There are not a whole lot of fun "youthful" activities listed. There's no Love & Marriage game, no Scavenger-like games, no talent contests, no poolside activities. There's lots of interesting lectures, of course the hot-glass show, classy nighttime shows listed, some trivia games, bingo, gambling of course.

Having said that, we are very much looking forward to this cruise. We decided on it because of the Aqua Class experience, and ...... well, to be honest, its what my parents wanted to go on (when we were in the process of deciding, it was between Solstice and NCL Pearl. As for classy decor and great food, with my parents it was a landslide vote for the Solstice).

So I think you should look at photos you can find online, and definitely take a peak at the dailies ...... if you think you need more activities and planned events, go with the Oasis. We will probably go on the NCL Pearl on our own within a year, not that I'm not expecting to thoroughly enjoy our cruise with our parents ..... but I'm not sure we'll be loyal Celebrity cruisers.

thanks everyone for all the information, I just looked at what one responder had sent as far as what Oasis will look like and wow! I think we may stick with Oasis for our next cruise. I do love the Promenade and this one has a boardwalk and another area for stroling. I know many ships have mixed reviews but I am afraid we maybe a bit bored with the Solstice. We don't do the games etc. but love to watch the activity going on and this ship will be an experience way out of the norm.

cina54

Liberty of the Seas coming up Feb. 21, 2009

Archived