Best time of year

Deefar

Might depend on why you're going and what you want to see most.

We are going early Sept 09, to celebrate my 50th bday, and it's a good time to see the aurora borealis (best viewing times are March and Sept), also wanted to go when crowds are smaller ... I've heard from other people who went in Sept and said it was great, but to be prepared for some rain.

Depending on how you feel about crowds, you might stay away from Alaska in July ... I read that July is the most heavy tourist month so everything is busy and more crowded, excursions book fast and early.

I heard that sometimes in May, it's so early in the season that the ships may not be able to get as far in/close to some of the glaciers, yet I know quite a few people who are going in May.

A family I know goes every June to visit their extended family (not on a cruise though), they love it there that time of the year.

You might want to check some sites for weather, length of days, and any other specific info that might have importance to you.

I, overall recommend from mid May through end of August. IF you want more wildlife, then look at mid July and on.

It is rare to see the aurora from a cruise ship, you aren't north enough, overall. If a priority then get to Fairbanks. This is another off year, so take that into consideration. I always, daily check the prediction web site.

If you want the salmon runs and bear tours, it's especially you book mid July and later.

My choice will remain late May and early June, historically the driest part of the cruise season (I just plain hate rain when I'm cruisin'). Loads of snow on the mountains makes for more evocative photos, too, IMO.

• 2 months later...
I, overall recommend from mid May through end of August. IF you want more wildlife, then look at mid July and on.

It is rare to see the aurora from a cruise ship, you aren't north enough, overall. If a priority then get to Fairbanks. This is another off year, so take that into consideration. I always, daily check the prediction web site.

If you want the salmon runs and bear tours, it's especially you book mid July and later.

Budget Queen

We first cruised Alaska in end May 2006 and will be second time in early June 09. We will miss the Bear Watch at Salmon run. Too late to change.

If we do make it a third time, which month and port do you recommend for watching both brown and black bears. Recommended tour operator?

Many thanks

tonghua

Archived