Cruising Virgin--Seabourn's Balconies?

ImPeaches

Hi everybody,

My husband and I are starting to plan our first cruise and want to do a small luxury line in the Mediterranean.

At first glance, comparing Silversea to Seabourn, it appears that, unless you spring for the Owners' Suite or the Classic Suite, Seabourn's balconies are really tiny---just enough room to stand and look over the railing. It looks like Silversea's, however, are good sized teak decks with enough room for furniture and lounging.

Comments from anyone as to why this is, and does Seabourn make up for this lacking in other areas?

Thanks!

On our Seabourn cruises we have been very please with our room and did not miss the verandah. I know that there are some who need the fresh air so they will opt for some of the other accomodations on the ship but for us we were perfectly fine with the room without the windows that open.

Keith

Also remember that because the three current Seabourn yachts are so small it never takes more than a few steps to reach the outdoors. I have sailed Silversea many times and the balconies are definitely larger but Seabourn makes up for that in so many other ways. And as Martita suggested the new Odyssey will have true balconies galore.

The "French Balconies" are just brilliant for opening up and catching the sea air when lounging on your sofa whilst sipping a champagne. Also great to step out onto to see what is happening when you are close to land or something out of the ordinary catches your eyes like whales or even birdlife.

I must admit that they are not "true" balconies compared to Silverseas however I have sailed both and can tell you that the I never missed not having the additional balcony space at all. I was too busy at the Sky Bar or lounging on the decks, chatting with newly acquainted friends or just keeping to myself reading a book.

Seabourn has the service down pat and I will give up the larger balcony space any day for this. In regards to leaking doors we did have this problem once and it was in heavy seas and was taking care of promptly and as best they could do with many apologies. We certainly were not put out at all and asked if we would like to move cabins. Once again "Service".

If you still decide to have the bigger balcony book the new ship it looks amazing and I will be on there as soon as I can.

Archived