odysess pricing

westmount

If they don't want to drop your price, then the next best thing is to offer everything else one must pay for, such as getting to the ship, excursions to be included, and room upgrades from lowest rate for recent repeat travellers, keep the ships full until .........always keep the ships full. The worst will be finding out the guy next to you paid 50% of what you paid from a 90 day wholesalers after you booked in advance and Seabourn told you no deals. My wife loves Seabourn, I think everything they do is great, but over $1000 a day and .50 a page for fax copies, ooch!

The truth is, Seabourn will do what they must, they will keep their customers happy, oil is $37.00 a barrel and interest rates at 3%, my Hong Kong to Dubai trip will be fantastic and they'll make the expense what they have to. The problem is simply that they cannot make it cheap enough to satisfy those that want cheap, as others will always drop faster, but keep it under $1000 a day will be the key for the next couple years for sure.

Westmount

There are many SB itineraries that come in at less than $1000 a day.

Maybe only two segments are totally waitlisted on the world cruise but on other segments most of the A, A1 and V1 plus the top suites are also waitlisted. And we're still a year away. As I said, things could change when final payment is due but at this point I think that's far better than most of the other itineraries.

I think Seabourn is giving some very generous benefits for booking longer segments. I know for my 53 days I am getting free business class airfare, 200 pounds of luggage valet service both ways, a $1000 shipboard credit. When I booked the fare was 45% off brochure. It has now gone to 40% off which means they must be selling decently.

This whole subject of pricing is subjective. In the past I have sailed on the Legend through the Panama Canal for just over $3000 for 14 days. I have also paid four times that for the same time on different itineraries. If I didn't think I was getting value I'd look elsewhere. but again, that is me. Every one has to choose what is right for him.

To be fair, I've gone from Rome to Istabul in July, Valiparaso to Rio, and the baltics in July, so I guess I want what I want when I want it, tough to get a great bargain, but great trips never the less. We all take Seabourn because they are the best, I'm just intersted in how they'll do it with all the extra capacity.

westmount

I agree with the sentiments of the previous posts. It really is all about supply and demand. However, if the world economy is expected to continue in recession for a prolonged period, maybe a viable business decision would be to mothball one or more of the triplets in port somewhere with a skeleton crew and / or delay delivery of the Sojourn and her younger sister.

Carnival Corp. is only interested in growing their cruise line brands and not care-taking them. If Seabourn was not making money, we would have been cast adrift from the Carnival umbrella. Maybe "Uncle Micky" wants to mothball the "little triplets" for as long as it takes for the economy to turn around so corporations and wealthy individuals (e.g. Oprah) can charter them and they would then be used only for charters as long as it remained economically viable.

These are challenging times to say the least.

Peachy

We all know that the 3 Seabourn Yachts are "Uncle Micky's" jewels in his regal crown ~~~I think he'll keep sailing the vessels as long as possible. Carnival Corp. would not have spent mega monies on all three drydocks last year if they were thinking of decommissioning them.

I also am hoping one of these days Seabourn will again offer we solo sailor's the 110% ~run of the ship rate. Now, we're lucky if we can manage a 125% ~~most voyages are 150%.

Happy to see you posting!

Pinkie

I'd like to think that someone is listening, but Seabourn is now offering 60% off on twenty or so cruises for this summer, so I guess it's put up or shut up for those looking for an excuse to book. Seabourn will do what it has to to remain full, as floating half full does nothing, so if nothing else, Newbies who haven't experienced all that Seabourn offers will be given the chance to do so. Last year I went on the St. Petersburg cruise for around 20k, now it looks like about 12k, I guess they are following the DOW, which actually makes sense. I guess if anyone's looking to book, now would be the right time, one week special and it looks pretty good.

Westmount

Westmount, I agree with your last post.

I also think Seabourn will continue sailing the triplets until their age makes it financially unfeasable to maintain them. One day we will hear that one or more of them has been retired. I only hope that day doesn't come too soon. As much as I am looking forward to the Odyssey part of me worries that it will not be the same experience.

I also look forward to being aboard the Odyssey but my feeling is it just won't be the same as our sailing on the Triplets.

One major reason I love Seabourn is the commradeship and the chumminess of the Guests and the Staff. I'm afraid the Odyssey will just be too large for the warmth we feel on the smaller vessels.

Instead of being with good friends we'll have acquaintances ~~

I know the new Odyssey will be very luxurious and beautiful but I'm wondering if it will have the close fellowship I enjoy.

Time will tell ~~

MB

Compared to the new vessels oming out of the RCL etc with 5000 passengers, I don't think going from 200 to 450 will make it any less cosy. I think on average we made friends with five or six couples on each of our three cruises, so with all the new people and larger ship, we'll probably make friends with five or six couples on the Odysess. On the 24 days we were going around South America, most everyone was friendly and warm, but outside of having one more floor of rooms, how much different do you really think it is going to be? The one thing I do remember was putting a box of cereal into the outside balcony of the Spirit to keep it from rattling all night, it's probably still there, and having our rooms flooded in SA after a pretty rough night at sea. I think that's what I loved about those little ships though, $1500 a night and a rice krispy box holding the window together, you got to love it.

First of all, I believe it takes a very unique child to be happy aboard SB. There is nothing for them to do and most kids would get bored out of their minds.

Secondly, if SB became overrun with children for every kid they bring aboard they will lose a dedicated loyal passenger who will defect.

If SB became overrun with children I would never cruise again with Seabourn. (PS we will hit our 100 day anniversary, on our 3rd cruise with Seabourn, on March 30, 2009 -and our 1st cruise with Seabourn was in Sept 2007. We have the ability to cruise frequently, and for long cruises..................but trust me, if the ships are overrun with kids, we won't be back!):cool:

Westmount,

I wasn't referring to how many other passengers I might make friends with. I was talking about the special relationship that develops between passengers and crew, especially when you are on for 28 days or more. I know SB is training staff to continue this high level of service and if I had to bet I'd say they will succeed, still we are talking about more than double the passengers. Obviously, this has not stopped me from booking. The ship itself promises to be a huge draw.

Archived