odysess pricing

westmount

Hi everyone,

I have booked part of the world tour for 2010, and noticed that places like cruise.com have cheaper prices for the cruise than at least I booked directly. There is still more than a year until our journey, but does anyone have any ideas on how to handle the seasbourn prices vs what they are actually selling for as the economy gets weaker and prices come down after we have booked??

westmount

Each of the cruise lines seem to be dealing with the sudden drop in bookings differently--from "free" excursions (Regent), Fire Sales (Oceania), OB credits and lower deposits (Azamara) and much lower base rates (many lines). I seriously doubt that Seabourn is the sole exception to the booking drought but aside from a few "Specials" (which aren't) they haven't yet played their hand as to how they are going to deal with this matter. But the clock is ticking...

Yes, received the same letter today......dated December 11th.

Evidently, it took 20 days of senior member decision making to decide whether to implement the program, but, nobody thought enough to change the date on the "Holidays greeting" wishes letter.

So, they "blow out" the Seabourn Experience "freebees", albeit to include already booked cruises, and, now, implement a program that requires devotees to find "newbees", as well as another couple, to join them on a cruise for $1500 per couple free touring via the "Signature Service Desk", the same group that presumably has had difficulty satisfying pax with free Seabourn Experiences.

As I've said elsewhere, a "shake-up" in the "make-up", senior management, is needed!

Before booking the world tour, I tried to book a trip from Singapore to Shanghai for 2009, but the office on the ship told me that due to capacity control the discount was reduced which would cost me 4 or 5 grand extra, so I left with my head down thinking how could they refuse a guy willing to pay 20k for two weeks on a boat, now I see ads and discounts for the same cruise they didn't want me. Since the new ship isn't in the water yet, presume no use in discounting, but tic tic tic is right, as $1500 a day can be spent in better ways I'm afraid to say, so better they address it now for those who love everything about Seabourn save for the higher prices of the the new ship.

Westmount

Yes, Blue lagoon had better start thinking of ways to get those sailors aboard those ships. A quick scan of Seabourn's website indicates some of the triplets may be bobbing around in open seas virtually empty. Cuts down on maintenance, I guess, which may be their solution to the Recession.

Presuming the reason to go to bigger ships was simply the three amigos couldn't produce the revenue needed no matter the occupancy, I would think logic says one or two of the original ships will either be sold or decommisioned before the end of 2010. I doubt there is room for six Seabourn ships charging $1000+ a day unless they make the originals ultra expensive with fifty rooms or cheaper and more kid friendly.

Westmount

Never say Never, and I take my young adult gilrs away I go to 16 and over, but Seabourn will have room for 2000 people a day in a couple of years from the 600 now, so it's either $300 a day or bring the Von Trapp family kids along to fill up the rooms. By the way, I was on a cruise a couple of years ago from Rome to Istanbul on the Spirit that had around 25 kids under 16, probably a record for Seabourn, and the trip went great. The mix of ages on the cruise made life on the ship wonderful, something that Seabourn knows is where the future is. The ships are simply floating hotels, so add a little ziplining excursion or two, adjoin a few more rooms, and let the kids on for 50% and you have future customers and happy parents, who needs rock climbing?

Never say Never, and I take my young adult gilrs away I go to 16 and over, but Seabourn will have room for 2000 people a day in a couple of years from the 600 now, so it's either $300 a day or bring the Von Trapp family kids along to fill up the rooms. By the way, I was on a cruise a couple of years ago from Rome to Istanbul on the Spirit that had around 25 kids under 16, probably a record for Seabourn, and the trip went great. The mix of ages on the cruise made life on the ship wonderful, something that Seabourn knows is where the future is. The ships are simply floating hotels, so add a little ziplining excursion or two, adjoin a few more rooms, and let the kids on for 50% and you have future customers and happy parents, who needs rock climbing?

We will also need a child catcher onboard. :)

First of all, I believe it takes a very unique child to be happy aboard SB. There is nothing for them to do and most kids would get bored out of their minds.

Secondly, if SB became overrun with children for every kid they bring aboard they will lose a dedicated loyal passenger who will defect.

I don't disagree that the options are limited. I'm not saying that a few kids would deter me if they were well behaved. BUT should SB market to families and the ships became overrun with children I would simply stop sailing and do land trips instead. The reason I love SB is the quiet atmosphere. Remove that and you remove me.

Defect to where? Regent, which has "kids sail free" promotions? Crystal, with its new family promotions? Avenues of defection are becoming increasingly limited.

there are a number of all inclusive, adults only resorts. SeaDream is having the same kid issues and it is affecting the experience. I, for one (two counting DW), will consider an all adult resort before spending to sail on supposedly high end ships full of kids.

Jim.

Jim

A few months ago I noticed on the Sea Dream CC board many loyal regulars were complaining as to familes booking and bringing their children to "run wild" ~~ (yes, even babies in dipers in the swimming pool) It sounded like a big problem ~~finally some just called Sea Dreams Corp. and ask the rep. as to children aboard before they booked.

Seabourn is NOT for children ~~nothing for the kiddos to do and no planned activites for them.

I love and enjoy my Grandchildren, just not aboard our Seabourn Yachts!

Martita B.

How right you are, Martita. Seabourn and SeaDream have much the same product. The main difference, in my opinion, is the more casual dress code on SD. There is nothing for kids to do on SD either, other than get in the way. Both lines would be well served to become adult only as a number of resorts are. I am always hesitant when booking SD after my well documented troubles with over 30% of the passenger compliment being kids on a past cruise. Hope you never have such fun!

All the best,

Jim.

My kids are older now, but my thinking was that with more ships, you simply promote kids on board during the summer and christmas time on certain sailings,and not all the ships have to be for kids and not all the ships have to be for WW2 veterans either, there will be cruises, routes, activities and facilities for all types. One ship can cater to families from Rome to Istanbul and one ship can cater to bridge players from Istanbul to Rome, no big deal if you ask me. I've been on four cruises in my life, three on Seabourn, all were great, but $1000 a night is enough, and if they need more they are in trouble. 23 days on the world tour is 34k, and while I still plan to go, the competition are sending me offers that seem to be going in the proper direction, so I'm hoping Seabourn cuts us a break over the next year.

Westmount

Archived