Best ship for 20-something's, 2010 NYE, help?

marska

I could use some help planning a family New Years cruise for 2010. We have several 20-somethings in the group who kinda fall between the cracks...they like a fun, active ship with a place to party (esp on New Years I'll bet!) and an easy way to meet others their age.

I want this to be a great family cruise.

Ideas as to the best ship / best itin? They do like to have a lot of sea days ...

Thank you!

I could use some help planning a family New Years cruise for 2010. We have several 20-somethings in the group who kinda fall between the cracks...they like a fun, active ship with a place to party (esp on New Years I'll bet!) and an easy way to meet others their age.

I want this to be a great family cruise.

Ideas as to the best ship / best itin? They do like to have a lot of sea days ...

Thank you!

The best ship for 20 something pax who are party animals is a Carnival cruise. There will be more of their age group aboard and the cruise line bills itself as the "fun ship". The ship certainly should be hot on a NYE. I am not sure how much the rest of the family will appreciate it depending on the ages involved. There will be others aboard from infant to senior. I have found fewer party animals on RCCL and Princess. On HAL it seemed like it was lights out at 10:00 PM.

96.gif

I have cruised several times on RCCL in the first 2 weeks of January (before most colleges return back to class.) There was no shortage of 20 somethings on those cruises. (I would not go on Princess, Celebrity, HAL if you are looking for 20's age group.)

Cruising over the Christmas and New Years holidays usually isn't cheap though. I would expect a lot of beer is sold that week too! :cool:

I was actually thinking more about a Royal ship, not sure which ship. I'm sure Carnival would be great for the 20's, but the 40's and 50's are paying the bill, so we probably won't do Carnival. Although maybe....

We are not necessarily looking for a huge party ship, just a lively one... we were a bit disappointed with Celebrity- lovely ship and amenities, but everyone disappeared by 10pm! Royal seems to have a better night life.

Although it is probably true that all ships and cruise lines will be younger and more active over the holiday week.

And yes, cruises are ALOT more expensive!

I was actually thinking more about a Royal ship, not sure which ship. I'm sure Carnival would be great for the 20's, but the 40's and 50's are paying the bill, so we probably won't do Carnival. Although maybe....

We are not necessarily looking for a huge party ship, just a lively one... we were a bit disappointed with Celebrity- lovely ship and amenities, but everyone disappeared by 10pm! Royal seems to have a better night life.

Although it is probably true that all ships and cruise lines will be younger and more active over the holiday week.

The night life on Vision was hopping last April.. I was on Explorer to, however I was in a full leg cast, do no partying (at least in Club).. I also noticed that the pool area is not as happening on RCCL as it is on Carnival. But you can't blame the ship, I think it has to do with the people that are cruising that week.. If it's dead, blame it on them. We try to liven things up, sometimes it works, other times we look foolish, lol!

hope you are fully recovered and back out on the dance floor (or wherever)!

I agree that the px have a responsibility to make their own trips exciting and fun... and that each ship has a unique "feel", as do cruise lines themselves. So everything is a bit of a generalization.

But I am sure some ships are better suited to 20's than to 60's and visa versa.

I appreciate hearing your opinions as I have only been on 3 cruises (2 on Royal and 1 on Celebrity) and so do not have much basis for comparison.

I am now 28, but have been cruising since I was 20. I have almost always cruised on family trips and have only been on RCCL. It has been my experience that there is plenty to do for someone in their twenties. I am personally not a huge partier, but my younger and single 24 year old sister has been on two of the cruises with me (age 22 and 24) and she always manages to party the night away and meet lots of new people. My brother in law manages to do the same. During the day poolside, there also seems to be fun activities for young adults. If you want to book a family trip that will have activities for all ages, I think voyager or freedom class RCCL ships are a good choice. You may want to stay away from the smaller ships, but with that said, the night life was hoping on my most recent cruise on Vision of the Seas. I haven't been on other cruiselines to make the comparison. The only cruise I went on that didn't have a good dance party night life was on the Brillance of the Seas for a 10 day cruise in the Panama Canal, but I think that is expected with a more expensive and longer cruise. I hope this helps!

I am now 28, but have been cruising since I was 20. I have almost always cruised on family trips and have only been on RCCL. It has been my experience that there is plenty to do for someone in their twenties. I am personally not a huge partier, but my younger and single 24 year old sister has been on two of the cruises with me (age 22 and 24) and she always manages to party the night away and meet lots of new people. My brother in law manages to do the same. During the day poolside, there also seems to be fun activities for young adults. If you want to book a family trip that will have activities for all ages, I think voyager or freedom class RCCL ships are a good choice. You may want to stay away from the smaller ships, but with that said, the night life was hoping on my most recent cruise on Vision of the Seas. I haven't been on other cruiselines to make the comparison. The only cruise I went on that didn't have a good dance party night life was on the Brillance of the Seas for a 10 day cruise in the Panama Canal, but I think that is expected with a more expensive and longer cruise. I hope this helps!

If you're looking for a Royal ship out of New York I would suggest the Explorer of the Seas. When I went there was a great DJ in the nightclub that was constantly hopping, Adult Wii-Tournaments, Adult Dodgeball Tournaments, Learn to hip-hop class, they also turn the adults-only pool area into a nightclub for a night called "Club 20" which was awesome, etc.

Happy planning!

Go Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan.

I am absolutely amazed at the response to my questions. Thank you all so much!

I think we will look at the itin for Vision of the Seas over New Years 2010. As an alternative (and more expensive due to air fare costs) I will look at Adventure out of San Juan. Personally, I'd LOVE a So. Car. itin, but have not seriously considered it due to time and cost constraints.

Winterescape, it was wonderful to hear your perspective. Our 20's are younger than you- 20 thru 25, but overall on the mature side, so I think your comments translate well to our situation.

SouthernSparkler, it would be fantastic to sail out of New York city 'cause we can drive to the port and save on airfare, but it's a bit on the chilly side for a New Years trip!!!! Brrrrr.....give me SUN and WARMTH in Dec / Jan!!!!!

Those of you who voted for Carnival, you have opened my mind to the idea- it is definately worth considering.

Hey- would this make a good poll????

I just got back from the Adventure of the Sea's New Year's cruise, and it was lots of fun! Was with my parents and 18-year-old sister (I'm 23) and we hung around with about 10-20 people in our age group each night. I've never had such an active cruise for my age group, but some of the guys said they've done this route the past couple of years and it's always been fun. The promenade was flowing with champagne and Jester's nightclub was hopping until at least 3:30 a.m. Everyone 18+ can go to the club and other adult activities, but they do try to monitor drinking...we needed a picture ID to get drinks at some events. But the atmosphere was great, we spent time in the lounge during karaoke, enjoyed The Quest (an adult scavenger hunt game), and it was just a lot of fun. I do have to say, the current cruise director Mike won't be there next NYE, so hopefully the replacement is just as much fun! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Look at Dec 27th Western Caribbean sailing on the Freedom of the Seas:

Sunday Dec 27 depart Canaveral, FL 4:30pm

Mon Dec 28 At Sea

Tue Dec 29 Labadee, Haiti 8:00am to 5:00pm

Wed Dec 30 Ocho Rios, Jamaica 9:00am to 6:00pm

Thu Dec 31 New Year's Eve at Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 8:00am to 5:00pm

Fri Jan 1 New Year's Day at Cozumel, Mexico 10:00am to 7:00pm

Sat Jan 2 At Sea

Sun Jan 3 Port Canaveral, FL 7:00am

Pics below from the Liberty, sister ship to the Freedom.

2457243880104148394S600x600Q85.jpg

2805652850104148394S600x600Q85.jpg

2168734480104148394S600x600Q85.jpg

2203677950104148394S600x600Q85.jpg

2750802870104148394S600x600Q85.jpg

2404550520104148394S600x600Q85.jpg

I just got back from the Adventure of the Sea's New Year's cruise, and it was lots of fun! Was with my parents and 18-year-old sister (I'm 23) and we hung around with about 10-20 people in our age group each night. I've never had such an active cruise for my age group, but some of the guys said they've done this route the past couple of years and it's always been fun. The promenade was flowing with champagne and Jester's nightclub was hopping until at least 3:30 a.m. Everyone 18+ can go to the club and other adult activities, but they do try to monitor drinking...we needed a picture ID to get drinks at some events. But the atmosphere was great, we spent time in the lounge during karaoke, enjoyed The Quest (an adult scavenger hunt game), and it was just a lot of fun. I do have to say, the current cruise director Mike won't be there next NYE, so hopefully the replacement is just as much fun! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks so much for the info! I hope you can tell me more about your cruise- any details are great and I am especially interested in (other than the actual ship, of course) what you thought of the ports , and what other people said. I have actually looked at the Adventurer and her So. C itin several times, but the cost and the time factor of flying to San Juan always bums me out....but if there is a good enough reason....tell me more!!!!

Freedom of the Seas:

Mon Dec 28 At Sea

Sat Jan 2 At Sea

Mariner of the Seas:

Sun Dec 27 Los Angeles, CA 5:00pm

Mon Dec 28 At Sea

Tue Dec 29 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 9:30am 6:00pm

Wed Dec 30 Mazatlan, Mexico 8:00am 5:30pm

Thu Dec 31 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 8:00am 7:00pm

Fri Jan 1 At Sea Sat Jan 2 At Sea

Sun Jan 3 Los Angeles, CA 7:00am

Adventure of the Seas:

Sun Dec 27 San Juan, Puerto Rico 8:30pm

Mon Dec 28 At Sea

Tue Dec 29 Barbados 8:00am 5:30pm

Wed Dec 30 St. Lucia 8:00am 5:00pm

Thu Dec 31 Antigua 8:00am 5:00pm

Fri Jan 1 At Sea

Sat Jan 2 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 7:00am 5:30pm

Sun Jan 3 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am

Liberty of the Seas:

Sun Dec 27 Miami, FL 6:00pm

Mon Dec 28 At Sea

Tue Dec 29 Costa Maya, Mexico 7:00am 6:00pm

Wed Dec 30 Belize City, Belize 7:00am 5:00pm

Thu Dec 31 Cozumel, Mexico 7:00am 4:00pm

Fri Jan 1 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 10:00am 6:00pm

Sat Jan 2 At Sea Sun Jan 3 Miami, FL 7:00am

mikepmcm, thanks for the suggestions! I think I missed your earlier post. Sorry 'bout that. I see you are from Albany too??? We just recently moved here, but that is another story...

Of these, the Adventure appeals most, but, as I said, flying to San Juan presents time and money issues....

DH and I are in NY, the rest of the family would be flying out of Omaha, Ne . I can pretty much guess air fare to Florida, but the other cities I have no idea.

I'll look into these- thank you very much!

Freedom of the Seas:

Mon Dec 28 At Sea

Sat Jan 2 At Sea

Mariner of the Seas:

Sun Dec 27 Los Angeles, CA 5:00pm

Mon Dec 28 At Sea

Tue Dec 29 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 9:30am 6:00pm

Wed Dec 30 Mazatlan, Mexico 8:00am 5:30pm

Thu Dec 31 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 8:00am 7:00pm

Fri Jan 1 At Sea Sat Jan 2 At Sea

Sun Jan 3 Los Angeles, CA 7:00am

Adventure of the Seas:

Sun Dec 27 San Juan, Puerto Rico 8:30pm

Mon Dec 28 At Sea

Tue Dec 29 Barbados 8:00am 5:30pm

Wed Dec 30 St. Lucia 8:00am 5:00pm

Thu Dec 31 Antigua 8:00am 5:00pm

Fri Jan 1 At Sea

Sat Jan 2 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 7:00am 5:30pm

Sun Jan 3 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am

Liberty of the Seas:

Sun Dec 27 Miami, FL 6:00pm

Mon Dec 28 At Sea

Tue Dec 29 Costa Maya, Mexico 7:00am 6:00pm

Wed Dec 30 Belize City, Belize 7:00am 5:00pm

Thu Dec 31 Cozumel, Mexico 7:00am 4:00pm

Fri Jan 1 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 10:00am 6:00pm

Sat Jan 2 At Sea Sun Jan 3 Miami, FL 7:00am

Thanks so much for the info! I hope you can tell me more about your cruise- any details are great and I am especially interested in (other than the actual ship, of course) what you thought of the ports , and what other people said. I have actually looked at the Adventurer and her So. C itin several times, but the cost and the time factor of flying to San Juan always bums me out....but if there is a good enough reason....tell me more!!!!

Well, looking at the post below this one, they are doing the other route for next New Year's but when I was researching, people really enjoyed this route as well! I would look for the review by Toonjie, as he had some great pics and info about those ports. Also, google The Cruise Guys as they did this route too. I will say, any RCI ship will make sure to have good entertainment for New Year's (the cruise director mentioned it several times that it is important to them for these higher-cost cruises). And if it's like this year, the NYE cruise was much more affordable then year's past. I know the air fare can suck right now, but I'm sure if you keep looking, you will find a decent price. Toonjie also gives good tips on grabbing a pre-cruise hotel from Priceline. I bet you'll have fun no matter what, but I'm very happy I chose the AOS for my NYE cruise!

Well, looking at the post below this one, they are doing the other route for next New Year's but when I was researching, people really enjoyed this route as well! I would look for the review by Toonjie, as he had some great pics and info about those ports. Also, google The Cruise Guys as they did this route too. I will say, any RCI ship will make sure to have good entertainment for New Year's (the cruise director mentioned it several times that it is important to them for these higher-cost cruises). And if it's like this year, the NYE cruise was much more affordable then year's past. I know the air fare can suck right now, but I'm sure if you keep looking, you will find a decent price. Toonjie also gives good tips on grabbing a pre-cruise hotel from Priceline. I bet you'll have fun no matter what, but I'm very happy I chose the AOS for my NYE cruise!

Hey, thanks! I'll be sure to check out Toonjie and the Cruise Guys.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Archived