Clueless on Alaska

CrusingOnMyMind

My parents have never been on a cruise and would really like for us all to take an Alaskan cruise - I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Alaska since I've only sailed the Caribbean. What would be the best/most budget friendly time of year to go? Is Carnival is only cruiseline that offers a military discount? As far as itinerary, what would be recommended for big outdoor enthusists?

My parents have never been on a cruise and would really like for us all to take an Alaskan cruise - I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Alaska since I've only sailed the Caribbean. What would be the best/most budget friendly time of year to go? Is Carnival is only cruiseline that offers a military discount? As far as itinerary, what would be recommended for big outdoor enthusists?

Hello! We have cruised Alaska twice now with Carnival..Both were excellent cruises...The first cruise was a Southbound trip early July..We hit 4 ports..What I liked about the NB and SB cruises were the port times in Juneau...It gives you enough time to do a day cruise though Tracy Arm via small boat getting you very close to the Sawyer Glacier...Our second cruise was in Mid Sept and we did a round trip out of Vancouver and saw Glacier Bay..Only 3 ports this time and more scenic cruising..This cruise we lucked out with the weather only getting a little bit of rain one day..Usually its pretty wet in Sept...

Weather wise Alaska is pretty unpredictable so just come prepared for anything..:)

We are probably going to cruise Alaska again in 2010...There is just so much to see and do so we just keep coming back!

Happy PLanning!

Kelly

A number of lines offer a military discount. Another is Holland America. It may be on selected sailings. But be aware that sometimes flash specials may even be better.

I would do a NB or SB with a pre or post cruise visit to Denali. It doesn't get much better for outdoor enthusiasts than that.

I suggest you do your homework and find out what Alaska can offer you. Head to your library and take out Alaska Travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, along with Alaska By Cruiseship.

Before you start looking at ships, you need to decide, if you want a round trip or one way?? If you have extra time for interior Alaska touring?? What is your priority for Alaska??

At the beginning of your search for information, and for the particular questions you have, the very best advice I can give you is find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate.

Once you have learned the basics from your Travel Agent, this board is an excellent source of specifics on certain ports, tours, ships and so on. But the travelers here, even those of us with several trips to Alaska under our belts, can only give their own limited viewpoints.

You can check out our cruise page at

http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html

for reports and pictures of several trips to Alaska, to whet your appetite!

I suggest you do your homework and find out what Alaska can offer you. Head to your library and take out Alaska Travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, along with Alaska By Cruiseship.

Before you start looking at ships, you need to decide, if you want a round trip or one way?? If you have extra time for interior Alaska touring?? What is your priority for Alaska??

Exactly right - do your own home work to plan your cruise. The experience of the people on this board would make any TA envious, certified or not!

Booking and planning your own Alaskan cruise could not be any easier and you will probably save a lot money to boot!

This is the best advise you are going to get you should take it.

Nothing wrong with TA but I venture to say you will be hard pressed to find one that has the knowledge that Budget Queen, Glacier Lady, Yukon and a few others on this board have of Alaska. Research and then ask them their opinion on your choices.

Right now most Alaska prices are great probably better than any other discount you can get.

Back to Alaska for us 4th time Island Princess Aug 17.

Archived