AMS hotel - precruise

jdblakeslee

Most ships leave from around Centraal Station in Amsterdam. Some of them east, others from the west. Even the cruise-terminal is sometimes used depending on how many ships are in.

At the cruise-terminal you will find Moevenpick Hotel. Around CS there are a.o. Victoria Hotel, Barbizon Palace, Renaissance Hotel, Crown Plaza, Bellevue, Ibis.

To mention just a few.

We stayed at the Marriott hotel in Amsterdam last Apr before our cruise. that is the 3rd time we have stayed there. Tt is very conveniently located and was about an $8 taxi ride to the pier. There are a lot of rests. within walking distance, a tram stop across the street from the hotel and many other sights within walking distance.

Sometimes you can get very good rates at the Marriott or if you are a rewards member you can redeem points.

If you haven't been to Amsterdam before you will love it.

enjoy!

Jennifer - We stayed in Amsterdam a few days early before starting the AMA Christmas Wonderland cruise (ending in Paris) a month ago. We stayed at the Ibis Central Station, which is the closest hotel to the cruise docking - a walk of about 2 1/2 blocks over level pavement.

We selected the Ibis mainly because of its location - no other hotel is within reasonable walking distance of both the boat and public transportation while schlepping your luggage.

Unfortunately, selecting the Ibis means accepting a small room with a barely acceptable breakfast included. I would not stay there again. You get this by booking over the internet some time in advance. We paid about 200 E per night.

There are alternatives which I would select on my next trip to Amsterdam. First, stay at some nice place away from the city center and take the tram to Central Station. Trams are clean, safe, and inexpensive - and they all (well almost all) end their routes at Central Station where you would walk the 2 1/2 blocks to the boat. You will need to lift your luggage onto and off the tram.

Alternately, pick a nice place to stay and take a cab to the boat. Lots of my fellow passengers did just that.

I will be posting a review of the trip soon with lots of Amsterdam details. Please feel free ask any question.

WIT

New London,

Keep checking with the Marriott--their rates change very frequently. We started out booking with points last year and then one day I was checking booking.com and saw a special for the Marriott Amsterdam for $650. for 3 nights including the buffet breakfast ( which is excellent). The breakfst alone is about 25 euros so that price was well worth it. We turned our pooints back in and booked for that price. The rooms are large, beds super comfortable and as I said before a great location. Concierge is very helpful.

Enjoy

micked10

Archived