Newbie w/Questions About Navigator vs Grandeur

Hi All:

I am long time lurker who's enjoyed reading all of the great information and have a couple of questions.

I've cruised with RCCL and Carnival in the past; but it's been a while. I am trying to choose between booking an outside cabin on Grandeur (5-night) or an inside cabin on Navigator (5-night). [The cost is relatively the same for each booking in Feb.]

A 1st time cruiser will be w/me and I desire for her to be comfortable and have a nice first impression. The Grandeur stops at Costa Maya and both of us would enjoy the ruins. The Navigator stops at Belize and we would also enjoy the zip-lines and/or cave-tubing.

Lastly; will she need a passport in both locations?

Thanks in advance.

For the 1st timer, it really won't matter---she'll be amazed and awed at either ship!

Personally, I'd rather have at least a window, if not a balcony....

Passports aren't yet required for cruise passengers to the Caribbean location. A BC and DL will do just fine.

My first Royal Caribbean cruise was on Splendour of the Seas, Grandeur's sister, and I thought the ship was beautiful. I've since been on Jewel of the Seas (another beauty), Monarch, and two Voyager-class ships: Adventure and Explorer. While the Voyager-class ships have more bells and whistles, I miss the smaller ships with all the glass. I'm really looking forward to my April cruise on Grandeur.

Loved the Grandeur and the Navigator. Start her on the Grandeur as she will still be offered many bells and whistles then she can graduate up to the Voyager and Ultra Voyager class. But, I would also skip the balcony or outside and use the savings by booking an interior and enjoying more in the ports. Costa Maya is outstanding as is Belize. Go cheap, save some cash, and still be inthralled.

Most people will say book the outside or balcony but if you have a hard time sleeping as I do the light that lightly leaks in is a killer for me. I have to go inside for the darkness and better sleep.

I appreciate the insight. Sounds like a split decision.

I read about an odor problem on Grandeur at one time. Is this a recurring deal with Grandeur?

Also; I see that the Navigator will be newly out of drydock - is this good or bad?

Thanks.

Archived