Price of wine on Hal vs Princess

Mer turquoise

We will be taking our first cruise with HAL in april 2009. It will be our second cruise ever. We experienced Princess in 2007 and really liked it.

We like to drink a bottle of wine each night. On Princess, we found the prices were reasonable and I’m trying to see if the prices are comparable with HAL. I have been searching this board for the information but can’t find anything. I have looked at the prices on the gift order form on HAL's web site but the choice of wines is very limited and expensive.

Is there someone out there who can tell me if the prices are comparable? On Princess, we were able to have some decent wines for 30$ - 35$. Is it the same with HAL ?

I am trying to decide between bringing my own wine and paying corkage fee vs buying it on the ship.

Thanks for any help !

I find that the mark up is much more on HAL. I could get a very decent bottle (IMO) on Princess for under $30....can't do this on HAL. That said it's been about a year + since I cruised on Princess. I usually end up buying a wine card on HAL so I don't go broke purchasing wine:D.

The cheapest bottle of wine we saw was a white zin for around $30 - about $5 in the grocery store. We purchased one of the 3-bottle wine navigator packages for (I think) $118. The package selection is limited, and again, only a good deal when compared to buying each bottle separately on board. We paid $89 (plus gratituty) for a bottle of Veuve Cliquot that costs $38 at Costco. :cool:

We did not buy bottles of wine on HAL. We brought a few with us though for those warm days on the verandah. I did look at the wine list, and it seemed expensive to me based on our most recent cruises on Princess. One thing I did do was purchase the wine card on HAL and I really liked the idea and the price. The wines were certainly not high brow but the ones I had (reds) were acceptable. And more than once the waiter forgot to punch the card! If someone wanted a very good bottle of wine, my recommendation would be to bring it yourself and pay the corkage.

We cruise both lines and find the wine prices on HAL higher than those on Princess. The Navigator and Admiral packages used to be better selections than they are now also.

When on HAL, we either bring wine onboard and pay the corkage fee in the dining room, or buy the wine card. When on Princess we generally buy wine by the bottle in the dining room, but have found that they may run out of some of the lower priced wines that we like.

We will be taking our first cruise with HAL in april 2009. It will be our second cruise ever. We experienced Princess in 2007 and really liked it.

We like to drink a bottle of wine each night. On Princess, we found the prices were reasonable and I’m trying to see if the prices are comparable with HAL. I have been searching this board for the information but can’t find anything. I have looked at the prices on the gift order form on HAL's web site but the choice of wines is very limited and expensive.

Is there someone out there who can tell me if the prices are comparable? On Princess, we were able to have some decent wines for 30$ - 35$. Is it the same with HAL ?

I am trying to decide between bringing my own wine and paying corkage fee vs buying it on the ship.

Thanks for any help !

Two of my favorite wines are:

Chateau Ste. Michele Johannesburg Riesling

and

Chateau Ste Michelle & Dr. Loosen Eroica Riesling

The standard riesling is very inexpensive to begin with and in most locations and restaurants, it's easier for me to just bring my own and pay the corkage fee. It's still $5 or so cheaper.

The Eroica on the other hand is a lot more premium to begin with, and although the markup is obvious on the ships, I'm more okay with paying a premium price for what I consider to be a premium wine. This one is available in the Pinnacle Grill only by the way :)

HAL has some great shiraz prices in the main dining room, and the menu typically has lamb at least a couple times. If this is a favorite of yours, you ought to have some great choices!

If you go to HAL's web site, then scroll down the thread "FOR BOOKED GUESTS" (it's at the top right). You will see "ON BOARD GIFTS". Go to that and it will take you to the wines, an idea of availabily and price.

Archived